My engine blown need another urgent

Featured Posts

I have a springer with a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder, it blew up today what engine will connect to my gearbox as it’s very expensive for Mitsubishi Or is there someone out there got one that isn’t sky high price please ? I’m in nantwich cheshire

Any engine will fit given enough effort or money is expended in making it fit. that could well involve cutting the engine beds about, if the engine is longer taking a chunk out of the back bulkhead and machining/making adaptor plates. If the next engine has more power you may need more cooling tank area.

I suspect you are asking what engine will be a drop in fit so I suspect the answer is Mitsubishi but as you say expensive I bet yours is painted in the yellow paint that must, by the prices, contain gold dust. If  you are competent enough you may be able to get an automotive/industrial/agricultural engine and the change the marine bits over.

How we are supposed to know what gearbox you have I have no idea.

I also  not sure how we can give much helpful advice when all we are told is that the engine has "blown up". I very much doubt it has but I suspect you mean that you think it has suffered a terminal failure. Its just possible it has not so its always best to give as many details as possible.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

9 hours ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

Either sorry new to this

No worries, I have hidden one to focus the replies. 

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Any engine will fit given enough effort or money is expended in making it fit. 

I suspect you are asking what engine will be a drop in fit so I suspect the answer is Mitsubishi but as you say expensive

As said, the more similar the engine the less work, and hence if paying someone to do it likely worth keeping it atleast a similar size! Bed width, overall length, power, etc

Else as said, another option is to try and find the same base engine without the marine price tag, and or used, and move the Marine bits over.

Do you know the exact engine you have (atleast age and power) what is wrong with it, and the gearbox in the boat?

Maybe photos?

Daniel

I believe there is a boat yard in Middlewitch, the name escapes me, that are main Vetus agents, they will be able to quote on a replacement engine that will fit on your existing beds.

Laying down rather than sitting will be better for recieving the quote, but it will give a top line of costs.

As Tony says, give us much more information including pictures, thing might not be as final as you think.

https://manualzz.com/doc/10235044/m3.10--m4.14-parts-catalogue--en--nl-

This is a link to the parts list for 3/4 cylinder vetus engines, check that it is the correct one for your engine.

Bod

If it is a Vetus engine, you could try Mick Sivewright (formerly a Vetus agent) at Cheshire Marine Equipment who does an alternative marinisation of Mitsubishi engines.

http://cheshiremarine.co.uk/index.html

ETA:  Now at Nantwich Marina - near you!

If the engine problem is not terminal, you could try Mark Edwards based at Overwater but lives near Nantwch.

See  https://cheshirecatnarrowboats.co.uk/mobile-marine-engineering/

Edited by dor

13 hours ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

I have a springer with a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder, it blew up today what engine will connect to my gearbox as it’s very expensive for Mitsubishi Or is there someone out there got one that isn’t sky high price please ? I’m in nantwich cheshire

When you say, “blew up”, what, exactly, do you mean?

In reality, if it “blew up”, the back end of your boat would be gone, and the engine would be the least of your worries.

Dependent upon what has happened, there is a chance it could be fixed. I don’t know if a full rebuild costs a lot less than a new engine?

25 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Grenaded the motor, rod through the block, no exchange. You will have to buy a new one outright, ouch!

You still haven't told us which motor, is it yellow or red? You give us the info we help, no info, no help, OK?

Looks blue in the photo.

20 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

Looks blue in the photo.

that's the (PRM) gearbox, which could be any colour if it didn't come with the original engine.

Does have a metallic sheen which was typical of Thorneycroft, who also used Mitsubishi engines.

1 hour ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

Underneath big hole all the oil and water now in bilge! Water bilged out bilge pumps full of oil! Temp went right to end of the scale 

If as Tracy suggested a rod has come through the block then its possible a new short motor may be available. Then change the sump, end plates, head and marinising bits over. If the hole really is "underneath" then a new sump may solve the issue but I don't know why a sump should hole. More work may need to be done to rectify the cause.

14 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If as Tracy suggested a rod has come through the block then its possible a new short motor may be available. Then change the sump, end plates, head and marinising bits over. If the hole really is "underneath" then a new sump may solve the issue but I don't know why a sump should hole. More work may need to be done to rectify the cause.

If the cooling water is in the bilge as well as the oil, it has to be block smashed I would guess, again, a guess, again.....

8 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If the cooling water is in the bilge as well as the oil, it has to be block smashed I would guess, again, a guess, again.....

That's it. No details so all guesses. I doubt the OP even knows the engine model and engine number so how he hopes to get a compatible engine I don't know.

At one time Thorneycroft advertised their marinisations of the four cylinder as a drop in replacement for BMC 1.5s so it may be worth the OP taking some careful measurements to compare the two.

49 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Echo, Echo, get your Echo 'ere.  What was the 3 cylinder engine Thornycrofts used, I can't remember, 3L something? I think they used the 4L.

They did use the S3L2 in their T75 model, but the smaller ones were L series. A secondhand mower engine (as already mentioned) is likely to be the cheapest option.

A nice picture of the broken engine would be nice....

Edited by Eeyore
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That's it. No details so all guesses. I doubt the OP even knows the engine model and engine number so how he hopes to get a compatible engine I don't know.

At one time Thorneycroft advertised their marinisations of the four cylinder as a drop in replacement for BMC 1.5s so it may be worth the OP taking some careful measurements to compare the two.

No details!? Why the nastiness! As I said it’s a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder that’s all I know jeez just asking for some help! It’s ok I won’t bother you lot again

9 minutes ago, Grumpy 8ollox said:

No details!? Why the nastiness! As I said it’s a Mitsubishi 3 cylinder that’s all I know jeez just asking for some help! It’s ok I won’t bother you lot again

If you cannot even answer questions to aid people trying to help you, maybe you are making the right choice.

My car is a Ford and it won't start - what's wrong with it ?

Do you see the similarity ?

• Greenie 1

Nice speaking to you, shame we can't help you further, your query is important to us but our crystal balls are cloudy. Your engine, if its the same paint as the gearbox is an old Thornycroft marinised Mitsubishi, you will have to replace it completely with new as no one will give you an exchange if the block is holed.

I suggest you contact Beta, Vetus  and Canalline dealers for replacement.