Washable fuel filter.

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Cant you just wash it?

Looks like mine - A Wasp W-30STM/D Filter. I've got all the info on this including how to service/clean it but the forum doesn't permit uploading PDF's.... :(

place to get parts is www.separ.co.uk

Edited by robtheplod

6 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Cant you just wash it?

Looks like mine - A Wasp Filter. I've got all the info on this but I cant seem to upload PDF's.... :(

No - when the forum software was last updated an improvement was included which stopped the uploading of Pdfs as they are viewed as a security risk (carrying C19 or something)

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Cant you just wash it?

Looks like mine - A Wasp W-30STM/D Filter. I've got all the info on this but I cant seem to upload PDF's.... :(

place to get parts is www.separ.co.uk

Hi

Thanks.

I took  this out today to wash in some parafin.

Although the previous owner had paid huge amounts to an engineer for servicing, this hasn't been taken out for years. Also the rubber seal in the top which stops it bypassing is very distorted.

There is very fine dust of years embedded in the vanes ..and it would not come out.

It needs...a new one

1 minute ago, Bobbybass said:

Hi

Thanks.

I took  this out today to wash in some parafin.

Although the previous owner had paid huge amounts to an engineer for servicing, this hasn't been taken out for years. Also the rubber seal in the top which stops it bypassing is very distorted.

There is very fine dust of years embedded in the vanes ..and it would not come out.

It needs...a new one

mine was the same.... it does clean up though and you can get a kit with the washers/rubbers in from separ.co.uk

image.png.c74dd6b8bc18fc8f91db51a24dc71ee5.png

5 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Parts list:

image.png.b90d200e2981a861e2534112fc5c01a4.png

image.png.e2adf967b58854e3f537f2c530014327.png

Thank you...

It looks like the picture on the right....but any idea which model I want...and which micron option ?

Maybe I should replace to whole unit complete with holder....as I'm afraid I will end up spending more on the wrong one.

4 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Thank you...

It looks like the picture on the right....but any idea which model I want...and which micron option ?

Maybe I should replace to whole unit complete with holder....as I'm afraid I will end up spending more on the wrong one.

not sure as i cleaned mine ... call separ and chat to them - 01923 276 007

9 hours ago, PhilR said:

If you haven't got one I would recommend fitting an aglomerator and/or sedimentor.  You might then be surprised at how infrequently you need to deal with fuel filters.

Sedimentor in that position, an agglomerate is just a filter which is what the OP has, be it he needs a new filter element. A filter, be it sold as an aglomerator, will always block before a sedimentor but a sedimentor may pass water into the system if not drained as needed.

The housing...which you see in the photo ...has a water drain point on the bottom. It has a wing-type nut on the bottom, which has a cut away shaft to allow water to be drained from the bottom of the filter housing.

Is that what you mean ?.

55 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

The housing...which you see in the photo ...has a water drain point on the bottom. It has a wing-type nut on the bottom, which has a cut away shaft to allow water to be drained from the bottom of the filter housing.

Is that what you mean ?.

Not sure which post the above was replying to.

Yes, that drain screw shoudl be opened very regularly at first to see what you have caught, then as you understand how much water you are catching you can make it less and less often until, hopefully, its just every engine service.

The finer the filter the more readily it will block and you should have a fine pore engine filter after this one so either 100 or 60 micron elements should be fine.

My last post in this topic was intended to warn you that you do not need to fit a sedimentor AND an agglomerator because you have an agglomerator in the engine filter. the filter in question will also agglomerate and remove water. However it will tend to block more readily than a sedimentor but if it has not blocked on you yet its unlikely to as long as you drain/clean it regularly and keep the water out of the bottom of the tank.

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Not sure which post the above was replying to.

Yes, that drain screw shoudl be opened very regularly at first to see what you have caught, then as you understand how much water you are catching you can make it less and less often until, hopefully, its just every engine service.

The finer the filter the more readily it will block and you should have a fine pore engine filter after this one so either 100 or 60 micron elements should be fine.

My last post in this topic was intended to warn you that you do not need to fit a sedimentor AND an agglomerator because you have an agglomerator in the engine filter. the filter in question will also agglomerate and remove water. However it will tend to block more readily than a sedimentor but if it has not blocked on you yet its unlikely to as long as you drain/clean it regularly and keep the water out of the bottom of the tank.

Hi... thanks.

My engine is a Beta 37 with a screw on fuel filter that I change every 400 hours...every second lot of oil/ filter 200 hour changes. This filter ( in my first photo)  is a pre filter before that...and has that water drain screw.

The element I show in the photo is totally shot. Rusty and the rubber seal is heavily distorted. It has years of ingrained fine dust that wouldn't shift...even soaking it in paraffin and using a stiff brush...to the point I may cause a hole.

There wasn't any water in the bowl...but it was full of years of accumulated crud .

I know the bottom of my tank is fairly clean as I have pumped several jars directly from the bottom.and there are only one or two specks in it.

Thank you for you advice.

Bob.

58 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Hi... thanks.

My engine is a Beta 37 with a screw on fuel filter that I change every 400 hours...every second lot of oil/ filter 200 hour changes. This filter ( in my first photo)  is a pre filter before that...and has that water drain screw.

The element I show in the photo is totally shot. Rusty and the rubber seal is heavily distorted. It has years of ingrained fine dust that wouldn't shift...even soaking it in paraffin and using a stiff brush...to the point I may cause a hole.

There wasn't any water in the bowl...but it was full of years of accumulated crud .

I know the bottom of my tank is fairly clean as I have pumped several jars directly from the bottom.and there are only one or two specks in it.

Thank you for you advice.

Bob.

I have a Beta 35, which has a spin on cartridge fuel filter on the engine, and one of these Wasp filers/water traps, whatever is the correct term, close to the fuel tank.  The first time I cleaned it after we bought the boat it looked like to one in the picture.  I just cleaned it up in the deisel that drained out of it, and it came up fine.  Since then I have cleaned it annually and just get a bit of sludge in there, but never got any water that I have noticed.

When reassembling the Wasp filter I would recommend that you put the conical rubber part into the top of the filter and push it into the housing, that will hold the filter in place while you bring up the bowl and you can concentrate on getting the O-ring in place.  As pictured I would think the rubber would probably work OK.  I have never tried to get any parts are they readily available?