waterway from hull to liverpool, widebeams

Featured Posts

What is your draft and air draft ?

10' x 57'is OK (assuming no closures or maintenance planned)

The trip from Hull is on a major tidal river with big commercial boats operating, your boat should be suitable for those waters (a widebeam narrowboat is not ideal),The tide can run up to 5.5mph.

You will need a minimum of 2 persons on board, one who must hold a VHF radio licence and you must have a licensed VHF radio on board and keep a listening watch for commercial traffic. If travelling in poor visibility or during the hours of darkness you must have colregs compliant navigation lights.

This is a trip of 198 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 108 locks from Hull Marina Entrance to Salthouse Dock.

This will take 88 hours and 22 minutes which is 12 days, 4 hours and 22 minutes at 7 hours per day.

From Hull Marina Entrance travel west on the River Humber for 16 miles, 7½ furlongs to Trent Falls, then travel west on the River Ouse : Yorkshire (tidal section - Goole to Trent Falls) for 8 miles to Ouse - Aire and Calder Junction, then travel northwest on the River Ouse : Yorkshire (tidal section - Naburn to Goole) for 5 miles, 4 furlongs to Asselby Island, then travel west on the Aire and Calder Navigation (River Aire) for 16 miles, 6½ furlongs and 1 lock to Haddlesey Junction, then travel west on the Aire and Calder Navigation (Selby Section) for 6 miles, 4 furlongs and 2 locks to Bank Dole Junction, then travel west on the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line - Goole to Castleford) for 7 miles and 3 locks to Castleford Junction, then travel northwest on the Aire and Calder Navigation (Main Line - Castleford to Leeds) for 10 miles and 5 locks to Leeds Bridge, then travel west on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Wigan to Leeds) for 91 miles, 7¼ furlongs and 85 locks to Wigan Junction, then travel southwest on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Main Line - Liverpool to Wigan) for 34 miles, 4 furlongs and 6 locks to Stanley Dock Cut Junction, then travel west on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Stanley Dock Branch) for 2 furlongs and 4 locks to Stanley Dock, then travel south on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal (Liverpool Link) for 1 mile, 3¼ furlongs and 2 locks to Salthouse Dock.

Total distance is 198 miles, 6¼ furlongs and 108 locks . There are 61 moveable bridges of which 8 are usually left open; 63 small aqueducts or underbridges and 5 tunnels (Foulridge Tunnel (1640 yards long), Gannow Tunnel (559 yards long), St Nicholas Tunnel (208 yards long), Cunard Tunnel (108 yards long) and Museum Tunnel (96 yards long)) – a total of 1 mile, 3½ furlongs underground and 3 major aqueducts (Dowley Gap Aqueduct (131 yards long), Whittlefield Bridge Aqueduct and Dunkenhalgh Aqueduct).

This is made up of 134 miles, 4¼ furlongs of broad canals; 17 miles of commercial waterways; 22 miles, 2½ furlongs of tidal rivers; 24 miles, 7½ furlongs of seaways; 99 broad locks; 8 large locks; 1 lock on major waterways.

Screenshot (275).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The trip from Hull is on a major tidal river with big commercial boats operating, your boat should be suitable for those waters (a widebeam narrowboat is not ideal),

As long as it's suitably powered and cooled a narrowboat-style widebeam is no less ideal for a big tidal river than a narrowboat. I used to go up and down the tidal Thames on mine including the difficult turn into Limehouse and it used to cope with the river and the big vessels just fine.

I actually only have a 55hp engine in my 57 x 12ft boat. Some have said it could do with a bigger engine but there's plenty of power. It did the trip from Bristol via portishead to sharpness without a problem. Also I can't help thinking that on canal craft bigger engines are often just wasting fuel because most are limited in terms of prop diameter by the draft of the boat, and displacement hulls are limited by their hull speed anyway.

Edited by blackrose

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

As long as it's suitably powered a narrowboat-style widebeam is no less ideal for a big tidal river than a narrowboat. I used to go up and down the tidal Thames on mine including the difficult turn into Limehouse and it used to cope with the river just fine.

Agreed and the point is that a NB is not really suitable for use on a commercial seaway with tide flowing faster than the boat can go, add in restricted power or steering to go across the current, as once the 'length' gets broadside it may go no further.

The Humber is one of the busiest waterways in the UK handling over 40,000 commercial ship movements per annum and these are 'major ships', I don't think that you can compare the Thames in London - it would be nearer to compare to somewhere like the Port of Felixstowe.

The Humber Port Complex handles over 77 million tonnes of cargo per annum and over 1 million passenger on the ferries to Europe.

The Thames (last year) carried 5.5 million tons of cargo.

Taking a NB along the Humber would be like riding a bicycle up the centre lane of the M1

I simply made the point as the OP said a 'widebeam', we have no idea if it is a widebeam / NB, a Dutch barge, or a 57 foot GRP or steel cruiser with twin Rolls-Royce 12 cylinder engines.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed and the point is that a NB is not really suitable for use on a commercial seaway with tide flowing faster than the boat can go, add in restricted power or steering to go across the current, as once the 'length' gets broadside it may go no further.

The Humber is one of the busiest waterways in the UK handling over 40,000 commercial ship movements per annum and these are 'major ships', I don't think that you can compare the Thames in London - it would be nearer to compare to somewhere like the Port of Felixstowe.

The Humber Port Complex handles over 77 million tonnes of cargo per annum and over 1 million passenger on the ferries to Europe.

The Thames (last year) carried 5.5 million tons of cargo.

Taking a NB along the Humber would be like riding a bicycle up the centre lane of the M1

I simply made the point as the OP said a 'widebeam', we have no idea if it is a widebeam / NB, a Dutch barge, or a 57 foot GRP or steel cruiser with twin Rolls-Royce 12 cylinder engines.

A pedant writes. It's not terribly clear on the PLA website, but I am pretty sure the 5m tonnes figure relates to intra-port trade eg the rubbish barges, removing spoil to Rainham from the tideway project.  Total trade was 54m tonnes. Much of that of course goes to points further down river - Dartford, Tilbury, Thames gateway, though I suspect the Humber is similar (Immingham, Grimsby etc, downstream of Hull)

http://pla.co.uk/About-Us/Port-of-London-Economic-Impact-Study 

http://www.pla.co.uk/Port-Trade/Moving-freight-by-water-on-the-River-Thames

Personally, I find the freight traffic more stressful in central London, where there is limited space, they can't stop, and traffic segregation is tricky. Further down river they keep you well apart (this ship, just about to spin, was a half mile away!) and things happen much more slowly.

dscf7906.jpg

There isn't much trade on the upper river, and it's limited to high water, however when leaving Hull Marina you want to time your arrival at Goole 2 hours before high water or later otherwise it will cost to use the lock. Don't arrive later as you might have to wait for a gap in the commercial traffic. Check the weather carefully and buy current charts from ABP to ensure you know where the channel is. If you do run aground on a rising tide however you will just have to wait until you're floating again but best avoided.

It's not a problem on any sort of boat so long as you plan the trip. Talk to local boaters and see if someone who knows the river wants to come along.

I know of a good pilot if you want one.

Cheers, Mike

• Greenie 1

As an option, avoid Goole, turn up the Trent and go in at Keadby, Stainforth Keadby Canal to the end turn right onto the New Junction Canal, carry on to the end and turn left. Nice easy run plenty of places to stop on the canal and saves dealing with ABP.

10 minutes ago, KenK said:

As an option, avoid Goole, turn up the Trent and go in at Keadby, Stainforth Keadby Canal to the end turn right onto the New Junction Canal, carry on to the end and turn left. Nice easy run plenty of places to stop on the canal and saves dealing with ABP.

How do they get from Hull to Keadby without going on APB water ?

41 minutes ago, jacko264 said:

The river hull is in fact a estuary not as some have put on here ?and not to be messed with get proper advice before starting out

graham

I don't think anyone has actually mentioned the River Hull, I can only see reference to the River Humber

The River Hull doesn't have an estuary - it simply drains into the Humber at Hull. Downstream of Hull the Humber becomes the 'Humber Estuary'.

It is a 'heck' of a long estuary being approximately 20 miles from Hull Marina to Spurn point visitors mooring buoys.

IMG_20160723_052044.jpg

The Humber Estuary actually starts at Trent Falls where the Trent and the Yorkshire Ouse merge. Its total length is over 38 miles to Spurn Point, and is not an Estuary to be treated lightly with strong tidal currents, especially at Spring tides. In wind against tide situations there can be significant waves formed. Don't underestimate the Humber and make sure both the boat and the crew are capable of undertaking the passage safely.

Howard

Edited by howardang
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I don't think anyone has actually mentioned the River Hull, I can only see reference to the River Humber

The River Hull doesn't have an estuary - it simply drains into the Humber at Hull. Downstream of Hull the Humber becomes the 'Humber Estuary'.

It is a 'heck' of a long estuary being approximately 20 miles from Hull Marina to Spurn point visitors mooring buoys.

IMG_20160723_052044.jpg

Yes you are right I must put brain in gear before writing  the river Humber is what I should have written 

Graham

Edited by jacko264
Wrong info written