Green fuel, origin?

Tracy D'arth

Featured Posts

Today I bought a used jerry can, the usual ex gov tin can with a clasp stopper. Nothing unusual there, millions of them made. But this one has been marked with white paint "DEZEL". 

An odd spelling but the meaning is clear. But it has something in it, about half a pint of green diesel, happy because I now know it doesn't leak.

Am I correct in thinking that this originated in Ireland and that the spelling is an Irish normality?

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Am I correct in thinking that this originated in Ireland and that the spelling is an Irish normality?

No.  It's just bad spelling, and the fuel could be from quite a few countries.

I'll grant you Ireland is most likely, but it could be Norway, Italy, Indonesia etc.

I wonder if the Irish Boat Rental Association still exists, If they do may be they will know.

All things being are in mystery; we expound mysteries by mysteries; and yet the secret of them all is one in simple grandeur

Martin F Tupper 

Probably written as he spoke. Agricultural and boat diesel was certainly green in the Irish republic when we were there and red in the north although there were people who knew how to remove the red dye and sell it on as road fuel.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Cleaned the can, its actually "DIZEL"  don't suppose  it makes any difference.

Well, there appears to be a Serbian hip-hop album of that name...!

Hip-hop isn't my thing so i can't help any further

Except to add that further down the same Google search it appears to be the Turkish spelling of diesel

Edited by magpie patrick

23 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Well, there appears to be a Serbian hip-hop album of that name...!

Hip-hop isn't my thing so i can't help any further

Except to add that further down the same Google search it appears to be the Turkish spelling of diesel

Ah, so that's it, its come in on a Turkish wagon. Well I have a cosmopolitan jerry can, delightful !

• Happy 1