On the need to slow down

tehmarks

Featured Posts

On 07/08/2020 at 17:02, Captain Pegg said:

Tickover isn't the requirement. It’s a different speed for every boat and impractical for some. I never fully wind off to pass moored boats but always slow to an appropriate speed for the circumstances. Whatever it is that’s written in CRT guidelines or conditions I suspect it doesn’t make reference to tickover.

JP

But how are you going to know the circumstances (i.e. the state of the bank etc) sufficiently advance of reaching a moored boat? 

2 hours ago, Dave123 said:

But how are you going to know the circumstances (i.e. the state of the bank etc) sufficiently advance of reaching a moored boat? 

The circumstances are generally the features of the particular canal such as width and depth. What’s appropriate on the wide parts of the GU main line isn’t necessarily so on say the Oxford. You also get a feel for the channel in a particular place from how your own boat and it’s wash behave. You can judge in advance how close you will need to pass the boat concerned. Add to that if you slow in advance you can observe if the boat is particularly poorly tied or in a very poor state of repair or perhaps being held on a line while you pass. All of which might perhaps demand a further response. Ultimately it’s not an exact science and it isn’t difficult.

JP

6 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The circumstances are generally the features of the particular canal such as width and depth. What’s appropriate on the wide parts of the GU main line isn’t necessarily so on say the Oxford. You also get a feel for the channel in a particular place from how your own boat and it’s wash behave. You can judge in advance how close you will need to pass the boat concerned. Add to that if you slow in advance you can observe if the boat is particularly poorly tied or in a very poor state of repair or perhaps being held on a line while you pass. All of which might perhaps demand a further response. Ultimately it’s not an exact science and it isn’t difficult.

JP

Good post JP. I agree. It is all down to experience and knowing the different effects of pushing water (bow wave) and propeller draw (pulling water) . 
Both have different effects on moored boats. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Good post JP. I agree. It is all down to experience and knowing the different effects of pushing water (bow wave) and propeller draw (pulling water) . 
Both have different effects on moored boats. 

I think it's also dependant on the attitude of the boater.

On approaching a boat which doesn't seem tied up well, some would still make an effort to slow down, others might not notice because they are looking at their phone, or speed past just to make a point.

4 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

I think it's also dependant on the attitude of the boater.

On approaching a boat which doesn't seem tied up well, some would still make an effort to slow down, others might not notice because they are looking at their phone, or speed past just to make a point.

Sorry, I can't understand your post. Are you suggesting that most would not slow down for a boat that didn't seem to be tied up adequately? I slow for ALL moored boats and I think most boaters do the same.

18 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It does no harm to slow, early.

Have you ever been shouted at for going too slow?

Yes, by the fellow in the boat behind us, while passing moored craft!

40 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It does no harm to slow, early.

Have you ever been shouted at for going too slow?

The problem with slowing early is the boater doesn't hear the change in engine noise so just assumes you haven't slowed down and shouts at you anyway as I have found out on a couple of occasions as I always slow at least two boat lengths away, further if they are moored just beyond a bridge or anything else that I might have slowed down for.

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its a discussion that has no winners then, I shut up,

I am sure you slow down like most of us do. The vast majority of people on the canals are kind and considerate and you are in that category too..

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

The problem with slowing early is the boater doesn't hear the change in engine noise so just assumes you haven't slowed down and shouts at you anyway as I have found out on a couple of occasions as I always slow at least two boat lengths away, further if they are moored just beyond a bridge or anything else that I might have slowed down for.

Hence the advice to slow down early enough to make a difference, and late enough so they can hear you do it!

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If the bank is that bad why are people trying to moor there

Sometimes the only mooring is on a crumbling bank. There are parts of the network like that. It is a bit of a chicken/egg argument as to whether it is bad mooring or speeding boats pulling pins (and chunks of bank) loose that are most to blame. I dont think its ok to not slow down because a boat is badly moored and "it serves then right if they come loose/will teach them a lesson "