DIY painting

Featured Posts

Hey everyone.. 

I was wondering if anyone can help.

we are looking to paint the outside of the boat. Any recommendations on boat paint?

does everyone use a scabbler and needle gun or has anyone used a paint stripper and angle grinder? 
We have a Wide beam and we worked out a square meter surface of 85, does that look correct? As it looks like we need 17 litres of primer, 22 of undercoat and 27 of top coat. It seems like a lot... has anyone else done this before and can point me in the right direction?

thank you In advance 

1 hour ago, AliceRosano said:

We have a Wide beam and we worked out a square meter surface of 85, does that look correct?

I used paint stripper and have a surface area of 69.2 Sq metres on my 14' x 35' boat.

The paint stripper cost over £600

I then used :

High-Protect Filler/primer 12.5 litres (2 coats)

Light Primer / Undercoat 10 litres (1 coat)

Poly Gloss 7.5 litres (2 coats)

Deck Anti Slip (deck and walkways) 3 litres (2 coats)

If the present paint is faded then sand it flat, buy a sander if you have to and lots of sanding discs. Don't use a grinder except for really heavy rust - it will leave crescent shaped gouges in the steel. sand scabby bits of rust / scratches / chips flat and feather the edges, then paint the bare steel very soon after with primer. Wipe the surface with rag soaked in white spirit to get the dust off.  You are then ready to undercoat. Don't paint on a hot day, the paint will dry much too fast and you will get a terrible finish. I would only buy about 5 litres of undercoat and topcoat at a time and see how far it goes. Try Black Country paints. (No connection) You will be doing this for a couple of weeks or so and probably more so you can buy paint as you need it. I use a roller and then brush out the paint with a good brush. Others will have more experience and different ideas but this works for me. If the boat is new and has never been painted then just sand it flat, prime it, one or two coats of undercoat and then at least two topcoats, the top coats are more durable and waterproof than primers etc. Thin, smooth coats are better than thick coats full of runs, sags, and brushmarks. Good luck, its hard work!