Winching Advise needed please

gemmaze

Featured Posts

Hi, I have a rather heavy 18 foot by 6' 10''  punt that I want to winch in and onto my canal side mooring and was wondering if there is a way this can be done without dragging it over the bank and causing wear.

My thoughts are a wide enough frame in situ with several pnematic wheels set into the frame allowing the punt to roll over rather than drag over the bank and then to be pushed to launch the punt.

When there is a few of us around we can lift it in but natually this is not convienient all the time.

Any ideas would be much appriciated before CRT scream at me for unwhittingly creating a mini slip way through wear and tear which is most certainly something I do not wish to do.

thank you.

First make sure you know who owns how much of the bank. Several feet may well belong to CaRT and that may influence where you can put any structure and still be out of CaRT's clutches. If you own the bank right up to the canal then as long as your frame does not hang over the canal when not in use I can't see CaRT would have any grounds to stop or charge you.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

First make sure you know who owns how much of the bank. Several feet may well belong to CaRT and that may influence where you can put any structure and still be out of CaRT's clutches. If you own the bank right up to the canal then as long as your frame does not hang over the canal when not in use I can't see CaRT would have any grounds to stop or charge you.

Thanks Tony, I was thinking of something that I could just roll back out the way after use.

In the covenants on the land it says no structures within seven feet of their land although IM not sure if my idea would be classed as the kind of structure implied, either way I want something portable.

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thanks although IM not sure how that would work.

4 hours ago, David Mack said:

You need a single punt roller, mounted on the edge of the piling. No reason why it couldn't be attached to a frame which sockets into a couple of tubes hammered into the ground, to make it removable.

hoisting-a-punt-up-and.jpg

No way I never knew they even existed haha!!

Are they wooden or metal polls?

6ft 10ins sounds very wide for something described as a punt? but it will be nice and stable. It sounds more like an ex military pontoon that people would convert into cabin cruisers in the 1960's. 

What is the construction? I wonder if the best option might be to bolt/screw a couple of keels underneath to take the wear when launching. This would also help directional steerage. Good luck and have fun! 

Edited by PhilR

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I would suggest something like a breakback trailer that has a rollers mounted along it so that it can be angled into the canal, the punt drawn up and then seesawed flat to the bank to pull the punt off

Nice idea but rather expensive.

5 minutes ago, gemmaze said:

Nice idea but rather expensive.

You could probably make one from wood as it will only lie on the ground and not be towed. You may not even wed rollers if you put lard on the wooden runners, thats how Wilderness trailers do it

Edited by ditchcrawler

2 hours ago, PhilR said:

6ft 10ins sounds very wide for something described as a punt? but it will be nice and stable. It sounds more like an ex military pontoon that people would convert into cabin cruisers in the 1960's. 

What is the construction? I wonder if the best option might be to bolt/screw a couple of keels underneath to take the wear when launching. This would also help directional steerage. Good luck and have fun! 

It was custom made new from plywood and epoxy for me to mess around on and camp on while I make my mind up as small steel narrowboats under 20 foot seem ugly and expensive and a lot of faffing about.

I actually said I want it to be a punt thats wide so its stable, IM very happy with it and paddle her along like a fat paddle board rather than punt her though.

Once I get my new camera I shall take some pictures.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You could probably make one from wood as it will only lie on the ground and not be towed. You may not even wed rollers if you put lard on the wooden runners, thats how Wilderness trailers do it

The boat has runners skeg on the bottom.

So can I buy the actually trailer parts I would need?

What are they called please?