Do you need to name your narrow boat?

zenataomm

Featured Posts

For the hard of thinking, the following link (apologies to those allergic to Farcebook) takes you to something called "Narrowboat Name Generator"

Two shortcomings occur to me.

Supposing I were to be so lacking in imagination that I couldn't come up with a name, should I trust a website that thinks Narrow Boat is spelt Narrowboat?

Secondly, there's no mention about not using it after a certain time at night.

https://info.gjwdirect.com/narrowboat-name-generator?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Facebook_Desktop_Feed&utm_campaign=Epic4_NarrowBoat-Dec&utm_content=Epic4_NarrowBoat-NameGenerator&hsa_acc=243333509550244&hsa_cam=23843870621420704&hsa_grp=23843870621460704&hsa_ad=23843870621550704&hsa_src=fb&hsa_net=facebook&hsa_ver=3&fbclid=IwAR2mIUCdYiekQ7GBl5Qg330ywITpdvJyznM2dQQc1RXgHAbhoxf1b5l_vO4

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And they just happen to need your name and email address to give you a boat name.

So that's Fred Bloggs signed up to a string of spam emails.

I had a look but, as my boat's colour wasn't amongst the choices, I didn't persevere.

However, the site appears to be run by GJW, the boat insurance company, so any e-mails which people receive from them should be relevant and of interest.

Don't do it, you have to give an email address and consent to receiving "interesting stuff" then it gives you a crap boat name.

I already get their stuff as I asked for an insurance quote once, will maybe get two copies now.

.............................Dave

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Intrigue got the better of me so I had a go.

Apparently my narrowboat should be called "Moonshine Daze"

Do it again with exactly the same answers, odds on you get a different answer.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think you need a name for the Thames and also you have to display it. For that I mean Thames registration on a Narrowboat which I understand is an accepted spelling of out tin slugs

Yup - you gotta have a boat name on t'Thames so that the Lockie (when they re-appear) can shout out-

"Hey Postonbroke your bows are caught on the gate" or ditto your boat's hanging on it's centreline (!!!!)

Shouting out "four seven six five three two one you boat's sinking". Try doing that in Boulters with a lock full of boats....

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yup - you gotta have a boat name on t'Thames so that the Lockie (when they re-appear) can shout out-

"Hey Postonbroke your bows are caught on the gate" or ditto your boat's hanging on it's centreline (!!!!)

Shouting out "four seven six five three two one you boat's sinking". Try doing that in Boulters with a lock full of boats....

In the good old days of the Thames Conservancy they enforced unique names. So we were Scholar Gypsy, and enjoyed waving to Scholar Gypsy II through to VI. 

We also had an interesting discussion with the lock keeper at Osney (ca 1980) when the regs required that the boat's name had to be on the transom. We tried to explain that we didn't really have one, but he wasn't having it, so we made some plastic signs to hang over the fender. ..

When we took our boat Thistle on the Thames the locky complained that the name was only shown on one side. We explained that we were half-way through repainting the boat, but that didn't help; nor did it help when we showed him that we had one growing in a plant-pot on the roof. He wouldn't let us through the lock until the kids had finished colouring in a name plate on the reverse side of some old cornflake box cardboard and hung it over the side.

Edited by Keeping Up
  • Greenie 1

Talking of boat names on the Thames reminds me that my first boating holiday ( Easter 1972) was on a boat hired from Bert Bushnell at Maidenhead. All his boats were called Gay something. Ours was Gay Fantasy No 4.... 

197206_20.jpg

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typo, photo added