Boat Movers

Capey_k

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Aegidian said:

Fair question, here's my answer, YMMV...

It doesn't.  It's for when a boat isn't licensed, for example I just moved a boat of the Avon, which only had an Avon licence to go for brokerage at Hanbury Wharf. So to pass through Diglis without shenanigans I needed the trade plates on the Severn and the Worcester and Birmingham.

It helps when booking a boat through a passage that isn't under a licence can log into online too, I can just use the trade plate to book a passage or mooring on the Trust's website.

I'll be using it again to move a boat from the Nene (EA waters, with an EA licence) over to Stourbridge later this year too.

Why do you need to do this, and presumably charge for the privelidge, and most/all other boat movers dont?

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Why do you need to do this, and presumably charge for the privelidge, and most/all other boat movers dont?

Well, I'm cheaper than most other boat movers.

And of course, it saves the client the cost of getting a short term licence or transit licence for their move. So they don't need to worry about that, and neither do I.

The trade plate licence isn't expensive, and you get a free listing on the Trust's website too ("wooflippinghoo" I hear you groan.)

It adds to having a professional reputation. If that matters to you.

Edited by Aegidian
one more thought.

Well, I'm cheaper than most other boat movers.

And of course, it saves the client the cost of getting a short term licence or transit licence for their move. So they don't need to worry about that, and neither do I.

The trade plate licence isn't expensive, and you get a free listing on the Trust's website too ("wooflippinghoo" I hear you groan.)

It adds to having a professional reputation. If that matters to you.

I'm quite happy with my reputation thankyou, covered if needed, and cheaper isnt what I have heard from more than 2 local brokers.

I do remember the problems you had when you first picked up a boat locally......

3 minutes ago, Aegidian said:

Just answering your questions, and I'm really not wanting to throw any shade - that's not what I do. So, I'm sorry I've upset you.

I really do recommend the trade plate licence too, for all the reasons I gave. Peace.

So to be 100% clear.

If a boat is being moved solely on waterways for which it is currently fully licenced the trade plates are superfluous?

Yes?

You havnt upset me, and the FogHouse question, yes superfluous.

I just object to customers being charged excess  for journeys their boat is being moved.

There is one(not the Greek one), who charged people 6 weeks to get a boat from Weedon to the K&A Frounds Bridge Marina, including costs for leaving it at Reading whilst he went home. He appeared to be doing 4 hour days, and a weeks holiday before final delivery

There are more like him unfortunately taking the piss out of new boat buyers

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

So to be 100% clear.

If a boat is being moved solely on waterways for which it is currently fully licenced the trade plates are superfluous?

Yes?

Yes, that's quite right.

You only require them for moving unlicensed boats across Canal & River Trust water, although they are also useful for online booking of passages and moorings for a boat being moved because I won't have access to a license holder's login details.

As I said on my site:
"I'm licensed by the Canal & River Trust to move boats using trade plates (useful, if your boat is currently on another waterway authority or is, as yet, unlicensed.)"

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

There is one(not the Greek one), who charged people 6 weeks to get a boat from Weedon to the K&A Frounds Bridge Marina, including costs for leaving it at Reading whilst he went home. He appeared to be doing 4 hour days, and a weeks holiday before final delivery

There are more like him unfortunately taking the piss out of new boat buyers

There are always dodgy folk out there, unfortunately.

FWIW, I'm upfront with my fees, and with what clients will get for their money.
I know other movers can often accomplish moves faster than I do, and that's fine; I work a set length of day, and I refuse to over-tire myself just to meet a deadline faster. People seem to appreciate that.

3 minutes ago, Aegidian said:

Yes, that's quite right.

You only require them for moving unlicensed boats across Canal & River Trust water, 

No its not, you dont need them.

I've tried to be constructive, nice, and helpful, it was me who gave your details to a broker for your first proper jobs, but dont spout CRT bullshit for law and regulations.

Okay, and thank you for the leads. Evidently, you don't feel the same way I do about this, so let's please leave it politely.

Oh , I do, and boat movers who do max 8 hour days and charge a daily rate, especially in summer, are taking the piss.

2 minutes ago, Aegidian said:

Okay, please, I don't want to upset you any further.

He's easily upset.

Hes just chirped in on another thread trying to be clever which had nothing to do with him.

Sometimes he gets abusive too so watch out for that.

Martin, aka Doghouse , and then MJG, we are fully aware of your abilities to wind people up days and night. I wasnt silly as you said, on another thread.

I only abuse those who really try wind ups too far and deserve it.

You hide behind your new HappyNomad name whilst your MJG is still open on the forum.

You have tried to wind me up on several occasions recently, one of which I apologised to Athy for.... bot for what I said, but for the fact he had to deal with it.

It's not anyone's fault that you cant stop posting, have a need to reply to something, or respond to a thread that sometimes you have no knowledge of, that is your problem.

Other prolific posters have managed to reign in their input, or stop it completely, for their own sanity.

Contribute with help and knowledge of the subject, not just for the sake of it.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Martin, aka Doghouse , and then MJG, we are fully aware of your abilities to wind people up days and night. I only abuse those who really try wind ups too far and deserve it.

You hide behind your new HappyNomad name whilst your MJG is still open on the forum.

You have tried to wind me up on several occasions recently, one of which I apologised to Athy for.... bot for what I said, but for the fact he had to deal with it.

It's not anyone's fault that you cant stop posting, have a need to reply to something, or respond to a thread that sometimes you have no knowledge of, that is your problem.

Other prolific posters have managed to reign in their input, or stop it completely, for their own sanity.

Contribute with help and knowledge of the subject, not just for the sake of it.

Well, well.

I think you have now completely lost the plot.

Perhaps its time for you to reign in your input? You have ended up looking a bit silly on this thread after trying to spoil another boat movers reputation and now you are taking it out on me.

You are one of the worst exponents of contributing nothing useful to a thread, often making stupid, silly and snide one line comments so if I was you I would take a long hard look at yourself before criticising anybody else.

Sad.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

I too was interested in the answer to Matty's question because I felt the statement he queried was somewhat misleading to say the least. It seemed to imply that @Aegidian held a license/approval from CaRT to be a boat mover. I  also felt he was trying to imply other boat users may not be so licensed. In other words typical marketeers near lies and distortion to gain an advantage.

I think the sentence @matty40s should be rewritten so it says exactly what is offered along these lines: "I have CaRT trade plates so am able to move an unlicensed boat on CaRT waters.

• Greenie 2

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think the sentence @matty40s should be rewritten so it says exactly what is offered along these lines: "I have CaRT trade plates so am able to move an unlicensed boat on CaRT waters.

Agreed, but I doubt it will be because it doesn’t sound as impressive as I'm licensed by the Canal & River Trust to move boats using trade plates (useful, if your boat is currently on another waterway authority or is, as yet, unlicensed.)

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, matty40s said:

Oh , I do, and boat movers who do max 8 hour days and charge a daily rate, especially in summer, are taking the piss.

I appreciate that you like to and choose to work long days when boat moving in summer. But I do struggle with your logic here. Would you expect your boatbuilder or engine repairer or electrician or plumber or... or... to work long hours for a standard daily rate just because it isn't dark outside until well into the evening?

• Greenie 1