How good are Canalcraft boats?

aristorias

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, aristorias said:

No it is all in steel and built in 2005.

Ahh, cant help you then as they have pinched the name of a builder that built good stuff in the 60s and early 70s.

I had a hull built by Graham Parker and Neil Butlin - trading as CanalCraft in 1990. The trouble with small trading names is that it doesn't have to be registered - so anyone can use it and even if the name is challenged it costs a helluva lot to take any action. 

In those days recommendations were by word of mouth.

It's possible that the attribution is genuine - is there a small brass plaque with the boat.

If it's a genuine Narrow craft hull (I don't think they did fit-outs), then it should be a good 'un.

Mine is but I specified what I wanted dimensions-wise (as far as a good boatbuilder will allow) and we're still using it.

1 minute ago, JamesFrance said:

J.D. Boat Services and Canalcraft Ltd are associated companies operating from Gailey Wharf, long established and well known builders and share boat operators.

I know GrahamP built several hulls for J.D. (Afaik he never did fitouts) so perhaps ther acquired the name when Graham retired. It's always interesting to see what came of the 'pioneers'...