Le Boat @Benson

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We called into get some fuel in Reading recently. Whilst being ‘serviced’ the chap, who works for Caversham Boat hire, told me that the above company charges hirers £10 per engine running time upon return of the boat.

I find this very difficult to justify let alone believe. Is this a case of ‘we dont, so we are better?’

Le Boat do indeed charge per hour running time unless you buy the all inclusive package which includes 30 hours running time. It is a rubbish and extremely expensive way of charging for fuel used.

The Horizon boat we have hired next year works out at £6.25 per engine hour run which leaves only one way to run of course. Throttle to the boards at all times!

• Greenie 1

Yes, this is a common policy in France (whence, I assume, Le Boat hail;s, as there are plenty of them on the French canals). I think that Locaboat charge 5 or 6 euros per hour unless, as Rachel says, one takes out an inclusive package which we always do (Locaboat's package includes unlimited engine hours).

I have also seen it suggested that this is the reason that many French hire boats travel as if there's a hellhound on their trail, to save fuel costs, though I am not sure if it's true.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Yes, this is a common policy in France (whence, I assume, Le Boat hail;s, as there are plenty of them on the French canals). I think that Locaboat charge 5 or 6 euros per hour unless, as Rachel says, one takes out an inclusive package which we always do (Locaboat's package includes unlimited engine hours).

I have also seen it suggested that this is the reason that many French hire boats travel as if there's a hellhound on their trail, to save fuel costs, though I am not sure if it's true.

If i could give you one, I would, as I can’t, I won’t.

Greenie that is!

Whilst passing Benson we asked if they sold Diesel to Joe Public. I was told yes.

Good, I thought. But the problem was that both pumps’ calibrations were defect, said they. But if you have a container we could fill that up!! I thought, “Nah! Youre okay, I’ll leave it.

(I should have produced my 25 ltr container Saying it was 20 ltrs!). But that is dishonest, ain’t it?

The French le Boat outfit charges un bras et un jambe for their hires, but having spent a couple of weeks in a marina watching their operations from a hire base I was very impressed with the care they gave in cleaning and preparing their boats for turnround.

8 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

The French le Boat outfit charges un bras et un jambe for their hires, but having spent a couple of weeks in a marina watching their operations from a hire base I was very impressed with the care they gave in cleaning and preparing their boats for turnround.

Likewise Locaboat, and you don't even get the bed made up for all that money! But ours have always been clean and properly equipped.

Oh, and French legs are feminine, if you see what I mean.

Désolé ! I couldn't remember and couldn't be bothered checking. Funny language though, that French. Most of the words for lady-bits are masculine, and most words for a chap's dangly parts are féminine. Bof !

On 06/08/2020 at 15:38, Onewheeler said:

It clearly wasn't their Messac marina you were at!!

I don't think, in fact I know we have not, hired a dirtier boat anywhere. It was filthy when we picked it up. It was cleaner when we handed it back then it was when we picked it up.

We are hoping for better things from their Nieuwpoort base in Belgium in April. In face we will be extremely upset if it is not much cleaner as it is a Premier boat we have hired this time and we will be the first people to take it out on hire!

21 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Désolé ! I couldn't remember and couldn't be bothered checking. Funny language though, that French. Most of the words for lady-bits are masculine, and most words for a chap's dangly parts are féminine. Bof !

Without quoting specifics, there is indeed some truth in what you say.

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

It clearly wasn't their Messac marina you were at!!

No, St Jean de Losnes. Lots of care being taken, lots of staff turning the boats around. A nice marina too, we spent a lot of time drinking gin while watching Kevin the kingfisher and Colin & Chlamydia the coypu.