Antisocial boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Rambling Boater said:

Ok to be fair, only a very few have looked at ONS data and realised that the weekly death figures became normal 2 MONTHS ago. 

They are below the 5 year average however  the question is how much lower would they have been without Covid.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I am  but I don't play it on the boat unless I'm in a secluded spot! I do have quieter instruments to amuse myself with (and a mute for the trombone).

And in response to another post, yes, Blakemere is a lovely spot. And where I am now, no engines or gennies are running and I'm back to liking boating again...

I thought you would enjoy Blakemere! It is one of those places to be at peace with the world. And I would be happy to listen to a bit of *unplugged* trombone there. Probably best with the mute on to avoid disturbing the wildlife! 

25 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They are below the 5 year average however  the question is how much lower would they have been without Covid.

Good question. There was a peak and less than an additional 10% died over and above the norm for a normal year so far!

I'm guessing death from other causes reduced due to C19 being the main counter bean. 

On 10/08/2020 at 19:12, Rambling Boater said:

Your problem. Not the other 67 million.

Ok to be fair, only a very few have looked at ONS data and realised that the weekly death figures became normal 2 MONTHS ago. 

But they have not (yet) become 'normal'. What you have seen is that death rates are now at the same level as normal but that is at the expense of having a far from normal society.  You can only say that the rates have returned to journal when so also has society. That may be a rather long time coming. 

• Greenie 1

Last Saturday, I was sat on the bank drowning a worm, whilst my partner sat reading. It was a warm day and not surprisingly,  the fish weren't biting...
We were just south of a bridge, which I had in view from my bank side position. It's on a bend, with a very limited view either way. One of those were slowing right down and sounding a warning is more than advisable .
A small highly varnished craft with an inboard engine passed me heading north. I lost view of him behind my boat, when all of a sudden a narrowboat bow appeared, heading in the opposite direction. He was tanking it!
At the last minute he spotted said wooden craft  then there was an almighty clang as he collided with the bridge. 
I don't know if the two boats made contact, but the narrowboat passed through the bridge, then engaged full power as he passed our moored boat. When he  came into view, I said, "slow down", then received a fair mouthful of abuse and threats.
So the fish weren't biting, but this gent fair baited me. 
Takes all sorts, sadly he is in our marina, trying to replace the front button he tore off I believe!

Gawd, I'm sounding like a proper grump, but words fail me!

18 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

But they have not (yet) become 'normal'. What you have seen is that death rates are now at the same level as normal but that is at the expense of having a far from normal society.  You can only say that the rates have returned to journal when so also has society. That may be a rather long time coming. 

Justin started a new thread about this in the politics section, it's probably off topic here although I have indicated the psycological effects of lock down and social distancing which will no doubt have a bearing on anti social behaviour and will have also expidited deaths.

You assert that the measures taken over the last 4 months have led to normal death rates, but with very few reference points like Sweden (who did not lock down and faired better)  that can't be conclusively proven. It's still based very much on theory, the same theory which led to predictions of half a million deaths in the UK.

3 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

Justin started a new thread about this in the politics section, it's probably off topic here although I have indicated the psycological effects of lock down and social distancing which will no doubt have a bearing on anti social behaviour and will have also expidited deaths.

You assert that the measures taken over the last 4 months have led to normal death rates, but with very few reference points like Sweden (who did not lock down and faired better)  that can't be conclusively proven. It's still based very much on theory, the same theory which led to predictions of half a million deaths in the UK.

No I did not assert that the measures led to normal death rates. That is a causal link that the stats do not substantiate. We currently do not know whether the death rate is normal as we are not living in normal conditions.

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

No I did not assert that the measures led to normal death rates. That is a causal link that the stats do not substantiate. We currently do not know whether the death rate is normal as we are not living in normal conditions.

Fair enough. I do agree we are not living in 'normal' conditions and I doubt that is only due to this virus. Time will tell.

I still hope the good stuff will come out of this rather than the virus being used for suppressive agendas.

There aren't any antisocial boaters any more than there are antisocial anglers, cyclists, greengrocers or paedophiles.

They are just people who can't take criticism or instruction.

Couple that attitude with guarding their own property or space (house, boat, cycle path, fishing peg) put all that in a remote location where peer group pressure is lacking to maintain reasonable behaviour on both sides.

And what do you get?  Beating of chests and foul language!

9 hours ago, Rambling Boater said:

Of course the death rates have fallen, half the people who should be dying now died 4 months ago, there are no frail old folks in homes left to die each week.

18 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Of course the death rates have fallen, half the people who should be dying now died 4 months ago, there are no frail old folks in homes left to die each week.

Historically bad bouts of flu had the same effect. 

Less than 10% more people have died this year than normal. In the same region as previous bad outbreaks of seasonal flu.

The numbers are out there if you look, for now.