Antisocial boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

55 minutes ago, Rambling Boater said:

This link still comes up on Google surprisingly. It's an interesting take on your theory from back towards the end of April. 

I don't remember what theory I may have advanced back then, but I am flattered that you do.

4 hours ago, Bewildered said:

A bucket of water thrown at a generator air intake should stop it being noisy

Accidently emptying a cassette over it might work better. Do generators float I wonder ?

Edited by Flyboy

I'm on the Llangollen, north of Wrenbury. It's 9pm, and some clown is sitting on the roof of his boat with a whacking great amp singing horrible karaoke at full volume. I've moved three miles away and can still hear it with the doors and windows shut. He started about 7.

Twice in the last week I've moved because someone pulled up next to me, moored, shoved their (noisy, smoky) engine into neutral, revved it up, and either went in and watched tv or went for a walk. Same damn boat each time.

Antisocial is becoming the norm, and is why I am getting fed up with boating.

Oh, and where I've now gone, someone's got two dogs on their boat and buggered off. The dogs have been barking nonstop. Pure joy, this boating life.

End of rant. I feel better now. Have a nice cup of tea, Arthur lad, and get ready for an early start before the idiots are awake..

PS its 9.30 now, and he's still at it. The dogs are quiet, though.

Feed the dogs.

Guy I knew had a minor cross word with a neighbour, house people.

Neighbour put a heavy metal LP (it was a while ago) on his turntable, loud, with the auto arm up so it repeated, and went away for the weekend.

It ran all Saturday and Sunday till he came home Sunday evening.

My guy said nothing, did nothing.

The neighbour had a dog. His habit was to let it out in a morning into his garden then lock it in the house all day and go to work.

My guy threw 2 bars of Ex Lax chocolate over the fence on Monday morning.

When the neighbour came home in the evening, he had to start redecorating the house.

I just feel too many folk really don't care any more.We go out of our way to make sure neighbours aren't upset by our music etc.Each time we ask,we're told no problem.We've even said don't feel you have to be polite.Why do some folk feel the need to be so very loud ?We moor in one of the best marinas around(on the Shroppy) & even there,there are folk with seriously yappy dogs.Yep,I know dogs bark but they should be able to be quiet.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm on the Llangollen, north of Wrenbury. It's 9pm, and some clown is sitting on the roof of his boat with a whacking great amp singing horrible karaoke at full volume. I've moved three miles away and can still hear it with the doors and windows shut. He started about 7.

Twice in the last week I've moved because someone pulled up next to me, moored, shoved their (noisy, smoky) engine into neutral, revved it up, and either went in and watched tv or went for a walk. Same damn boat each time.

Antisocial is becoming the norm, and is why I am getting fed up with boating.

Oh, and where I've now gone, someone's got two dogs on their boat and buggered off. The dogs have been barking nonstop. Pure joy, this boating life.

End of rant. I feel better now. Have a nice cup of tea, Arthur lad, and get ready for an early start before the idiots are awake..

PS its 9.30 now, and he's still at it. The dogs are quiet, though.

Arthur

I can sympathise with you. I know you are a very tolerant person and very understanding of others.

Some of the behaviour these days goes beyond what we should expect. If it upsets you I am sure it

would also upset most of us.

I hope you can get some pleasure from the remainder of your trip. My favourite *quiet* mooring is

alongside Blakemere! 

Cheers

Phil

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Feed the dogs.

Guy I knew had a minor cross word with a neighbour, house people.

Neighbour put a heavy metal LP (it was a while ago) on his turntable, loud, with the auto arm up so it repeated, and went away for the weekend.

It ran all Saturday and Sunday till he came home Sunday evening.

My guy said nothing, did nothing.

The neighbour had a dog. His habit was to let it out in a morning into his garden then lock it in the house all day and go to work.

My guy threw 2 bars of Ex Lax chocolate over the fence on Monday morning.

When the neighbour came home in the evening, he had to start redecorating the house.

Mmm..

Not a great idea to punish a dog or potentially poisoning it for the inconsiderate behaviour of it's owner.

On 07/08/2020 at 20:32, Mike Todd said:

Words often becomes weaponised, sometimes when you least expect. Living in a secluded corner of the UK IO was not especially aware of the potential for abuse with is word, especially as the Oxford Dictionary primary definition is "a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious."

There are times when I wonder if we will soon run out of words that do not, for someone somewhere, have a negative, if not corrosive, implication. During lockdown I do seem (unscientific fake news) to have seen rather a lot of cases of public figures having to grovel when they have used a word that was once in common non-abusive parlance only to be caught out.

Remember - Only a Ginger can call another Ginger - Ginger

• Greenie 1

As somebody who is (inadvertently) antisocial myself, its a difficult problem to solve.

On one hand I would appreciate if people tell me that my action makes their life worse, I would, within reason curtail it.

On other hand if somebody does dare to suggest that I am uncaring of other people, I will be livid. :)

Most people I think are not hypocrites, so best hope is if they suffer due to similar inconsideration from others.

2 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm on the Llangollen, north of Wrenbury. It's 9pm, and some clown is sitting on the roof of his boat with a whacking great amp singing horrible karaoke at full volume.

But I believe you are the owner of a trombone

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Report, report, report! A nuisance I know and you may feel it's a waste of time but if every incident was reported then it plays havoc with the stats.

Enough people report to CRT then they'll have to do something as well

Can CRT can do something about it? Or is it a council or police matter? Not sure TBH.

10 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Mmm..

Not a great idea to punish a dog or potentially poisoning it for the inconsiderate behaviour of it's owner.

I don't think it would harm the dog, it was OK afterwards I believe. Just like a worming session. Though I know its bad to give dogs ordinary milk chocolate, and paracetamol, and aspirin.

28 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I don't think it would harm the dog, it was OK afterwards I believe. Just like a worming session. Though I know its bad to give dogs ordinary milk chocolate, and paracetamol, and aspirin.

It has cocoa in it which is toxic to dogs. It also would be quite a distressing experience for the dog.

So its still a stupid idea to punish the dog for the misdemeanours of its owner however you try to spin it.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, Rambling Boater said:

Can CRT can do something about it? Or is it a council or police matter? Not sure TBH.

Report to both. 

People may say CRT will do nothing but I've been pondering this as there seems to be a general feeling on this forum that CRT, allegedly, rarely takes action against anti social behaviour.

This is my question. In light of the recent court case where a person won the right to have their housing benefit, I believe, paid to CRT for licensing fee does that make the CRT a landlord?

If so then do they have a duty to tackle anti social behaviour as we are all tenants?

7 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Report to both. 

People may say CRT will do nothing but I've been pondering this as there seems to be a general feeling on this forum that CRT, allegedly, rarely takes action against anti social behaviour.

This is my question. In light of the recent court case where a person won the right to have their housing benefit, I believe, paid to CRT for licensing fee does that make the CRT a landlord?

If so then do they have a duty to tackle anti social behaviour as we are all tenants?

Landlords are not responsible for the actions of their tenants. 

16 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

It has cocoa in it which is toxic to dogs. It also would be quite a distressing experience for the dog.

So its still a stupid idea to punish the dog for the misdemeanours of its owner however you try to spin it.

Only reporting, not condoning. Sorry I mentioned it now.

15 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Only reporting, not condoning. Sorry I mentioned it now.

I don't think I was suggesting you were condoning it (though your mentioning it as a strategy for dealing with a nuisance neighbour does possibly imply that).

I was merely pointing out that it's a daft and cruel thing to do.

Not everybody might know that using that tactic with a neighbour could result in harm to a dog or in extreme cases it's death. Hence my mentioning it.

https://tinyurl.com/y334kasc

On 07/08/2020 at 19:58, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes, but that is not what you said is it.?

This is one of the things that gets my goat.

Why couldnt the UK just take a unified position? On all aspects of managing the pandemic?

Yes BUT you have got those two muppets Dom & Bo running your world ! And we got Mark & Nicola running our world thankfully. !!

• Greenie 1

On 06/08/2020 at 15:10, dmr said:

I did meet a boater who had suffered serious anti-social behaviour including thieving from another boat. He waited till said boater was away and drilled a hole in the bottom of his boat.

.................Dave

Yes, a couple of years ago at Foxton some pikies in a plastic boat moored on the water point and when they came out of Bridge 66, pissed up I asked them not to moor at the water point. The largest and fattest threatened to' fill my head in' swinging his arms at me so I stood my ground ( I'm skinny as a rake) and said " Well go on then fat-arse" and didnt move and he was stunned that I didnt run back to my boat. His mates told him  to get back on the boat and they left for Market Harborough. I remember the boat well and my drill is ready !