Antisocial boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

People have been banned from the forum for using that word.

I managed to suggest someone may be a "bit of a <word removed>" the other day and no ban was given. 

Am I special? 

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

I managed to suggest someone may be a "bit of a pudenda" the other day and no ban was given. 

Am I special? 

No, but there is no need to push your luck by repeating it out of context and unnecessarily.  It is not clever to cause offence by being vulgar. I am well versed in old English and Anglo Saxon but there is a simple reason why it fell out of polite use. Its called civilisation.

Sorted the quote for you, because I could.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 2

Surely it is better to express this sort of thing than have it suppressed. 

Dangerous world out there if you don't let people express themselves. All sorts of bad things happen because they still think it and by internalising it due to being censored, or suppressed, are liable to do far worse things. 

I've got children (8 and 10 both girls) they have known all the swear words in French and English since they were toddlers. Not bothered but I have explained the delicate nature of the <word removed> and that some people will be offended by it -but- sometimes it has to be used. 

Never mind the anatomical connotations they will find that out at some stage no doubt ! 

Edited by magnetman

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

Surely it is better to express this sort of thing than have it suppressed. 

Dangerous world out there if you don't let people express themselves. All sorts of bad things happen because they still think it and by internalising it due to being censored, or suppressed, are liable to do far worse things. 

I agree but there are better words in our fabulous English language that are more descriptive and not crude or rude.

Using an expanded vocabulary is a marker to a more educated and sensitive person.

If your intention is to shock then that is juvenile and shows poor communication skills on the forum.

• Greenie 1

Shall we return to the topic?

I have an offensive story from today, not on the canal but topical.

Shopping in a large supermarket, notice at the checkouts two women not wearing any face coverings and not wearing the medical exemption card as required by law.

One was permanently on her phone. Could have been sisters.

Being concerned for my safety I asked them not to go shopping in future without face coverings.

Met with a torrent of screamed abuse. I asked if they had medical exemption to which they replied that they could not wear masks and it was no f-----g  concern of mine if I chose to protect myself. They obviously did not understand that my mask was to protect them and visa versa.

I did remark that if they had a respiratory condition that precluded mask wearing, it did not stop them shouting loud and long.

Leaving the store, they were filling their car with groceries, parked in the disabled bay with no noticeable disability.

Was I wrong?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Shopping in a large supermarket, notice at the checkouts two women not wearing any face coverings and not wearing the medical exemption card as required by law.

Being concerned for my safety I asked them not to go shopping in future without face coverings.

Met with a torrent of screamed abuse. I asked if they had medical exemption to which they replied that they could not wear masks and it was no f-----g  concern of mine if I chose to protect myself. They obviously did not understand that my mask was to protect them and visa versa.

I did remark that if they had a respiratory condition that precluded mask wearing, it did not stop them shouting loud and long.

Leaving the store, they were filling their car with groceries, parked in the disabled bay with no noticeable disability.

Was I wrong?

Since the rules over the issuing of Blue-Cards was relaxed / expanded there are now a whole host of 'cannot be seen' disabilities that enable you to have a card. It is becoming increasingly apparent that being obnoxious is one of the more popular ones.

• Greenie 3

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Since the rules over the issuing of Blue-Cards was relaxed / expanded there are now a whole host of 'cannot be seen' disabilities that enable you to have a card. It is becoming increasingly apparent that being obnoxious is one of the more popular ones.

I know this. Blue badge is open to abuse, that was not my concern.

But wearing face coverings in shops is compulsory. If there is a medical reason for not conforming, you are issued with a card that you wear on a neck lanyard. 

So that difficult busybodies, who are too old to recover from CV19 like me, know to keep well clear.?

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Was I wrong?

Where is it said that it is 'the law' you have to wear a card to declare you are exempt?

Ive never heard of such a thing, maybe they hadnt either?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Exemption Cards

Those who have an age, health or disability reason for not wearing a face covering should not be routinely asked to give any written evidence of this, this includes exemption cards. No person needs to seek advice or request a letter from a medical professional about their reason for not wearing a face covering.

Some people may feel more comfortable showing something that says they do not have to wear a face covering. This could be in the form of an exemption card, badge or even a home-made sign.

This is a personal choice and is not necessary in law.

From gov.Uk

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Yes I would. I would tell her to stop being a drama queen. 

My daughter would use that term in front of me, I am, however secure I. The knowledge of our respect for one another. There are other words that neither of us would use, to each other or generally. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No mention of it being 'the law'.

You are correct, apologies. Not in law so not illegal but----------------------

The wearing of face coverings is compulsory in shops and enclosed spaces unless you have a medical exemption .

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

You are correct, apologies. Not in law so not illegal but----------------------

The wearing of face coverings is compulsory in shops and enclosed spaces unless you have a medical exemption .

Yes, but that is not what you said is it.?

1 minute ago, Dyertribe said:

I live in Wales, we don’t have to wear masks in shops. 

This is one of the things that gets my goat.

Why couldnt the UK just take a unified position? On all aspects of managing the pandemic?

7 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Yes, but that is not what you said is it.?

I did not mention in law to the ladies, simply that they should be wearing face coverings. I understand however that the police can fine non conforming shoppers so there must be an element of law involved.

My question was ,

Was I wrong to challenge them?

Is it my responsibility not to be infected and spread the virus further? Do I have an obligation to prevent the virus from spreading?

To expand a little, tomorrow I have to go for a test before going to hospital on Tuesday for the removal of a carcinoma so I am a little on edge regarding CV19.

Way off topic now so I will quit, its TV time now.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

There is no law (in England, at least. Frankly I’ve lost track of what the rest of the UK are up to) requiring a person who has reasonable excuse for not wearing a face covering, where one is now required, to carry or display any kind of card or badge declaring the fact, and for a shop or service provider to discriminate against them on that basis may be contrary to equality legislation. Someone not wearing a face covering may indeed be taking the piss (are we allowed that one?), or they may have far more on their plate than rest of us have to deal with. It’s none of my business.

Words often becomes weaponised, sometimes when you least expect. Living in a secluded corner of the UK IO was not especially aware of the potential for abuse with is word, especially as the Oxford Dictionary primary definition is "a person regarded as stupid or obnoxious."

There are times when I wonder if we will soon run out of words that do not, for someone somewhere, have a negative, if not corrosive, implication. During lockdown I do seem (unscientific fake news) to have seen rather a lot of cases of public figures having to grovel when they have used a word that was once in common non-abusive parlance only to be caught out.

In that sense, Nicknorman's satire may well have something to say.

44 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I did not mention in law to the ladies, simply that they should be wearing face coverings. I understand however that the police can fine non conforming shoppers so there must be an element of law involved.

My question was ,

Was I wrong to challenge them?

Is it my responsibility not to be infected and spread the virus further? Do I have an obligation to prevent the virus from spreading?

To expand a little, tomorrow I have to go for a test before going to hospital on Tuesday for the removal of a carcinoma so I am a little on edge regarding CV19.

Way off topic now so I will quit, its TV time now.

To answer your question.

Yes you were wrong. I would wager you wouldnt have challenged them if you hadnt believed they were breaching a law to display an exemption certificate.

You were also wrong on the reasons for exemption to mask wearing. It's broader than just respiratory conditions. 

Good luck with your op. BTW.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

50 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Where is it said that it is 'the law' you have to wear a card to declare you are exempt?

Ive never heard of such a thing, maybe they hadnt either?

That wasn't the topic, but there is a Law to say it but you can download one somehow. I think Ebay were selling them at one point

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

That wasn't the topic, but there is a Law to say it but you can download one somehow. I think Ebay were selling them at one point

There is no law that says any such thing. At least according to the UK govt. there isnt.

Wearing one or displaying one is entirely voluntary/optional. Hence you can indeed download them.