Antisocial boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Izz said:

I don't fancy getting my head kicked in. What I'm interested in here is if CRT could be as inclined to decline licenses to people whose behaviour seriously impacts others along the waterways as they are to decline licenses to relatively unnoticeable people for minor misdemeanors in cruising patterns.

Probably not, but they do work with other agencies, a couple of years agoI worked with an outreach worker sponsored by the local authority to deal with this kind of conflict.

There's no way you can ever win in this situation, some people are just wired that way. Report the idiot to CRT, it won't do much good but it just might just help to build up a bit of evidence for when he loses it and assaults some poor innocent boater.

CRT do sometimes take such issues seriously. A householder in Milton Keynes recently reported a boater to them for running his generator late at night whilst moored outside their house. A couple of days later a gentleman from CRT visited him for a chat. I don't know what was said, but the boater moved to another location that same afternoon; I also don't know if he changed his generating habits after that.

Isn't it a breach of the licence conditions to run generators late at night near to another boat? If so he could be threatened with having his licence revoked. Mind you that doesn't always help; some friends of mine were delighted when CRT refused to allow them to renew their licence, it meant they had several years of cost-free boating.

16 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Isn't it a breach of the licence conditions to run generators late at night near to another boat?

I'm not sure if it's mandatory or just advisory.

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm not sure if it's mandatory or just advisory.

It is a clause in a contract which you signed and agreed to, but it is not covered under legislation (Act of parliament).

You are asked / told not to run a generator near other boats, but I guess if you are first there and other boats join you, its their 'lookout'.

If you moor near boats already moored it would be the 'socially correct' thing not to run your generator.

It seems odd that he is reportedly running 'generators' (multiples)

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It seems odd that he is reportedly running 'generators' (multiples)

I did wonder why he needed two. Perhaps he has only one but it's so loud that it sounds like two.

I hope that by now Izzy and her boat have moved away while Mr. Next Door has either gone to work or is sleeping off his late night.

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

I did wonder why he needed two. Perhaps he has only one but it's so loud that it sounds like two.

I hope that by now Izzy and her boat have moved away while Mr. Next Door has either gone to work or is sleeping off his late night.

There is an arrangement where 2 identical generators can be connected together to double the output when required.

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

There is an arrangement where 2 identical generators can be connected together to double the output when required.

I'm sure you're right - but does anyone need two on a narrowboat? He must have an awesome array of electricals.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

At least as a boater you can easily move away from your antisocial neighbour. Bricks and mortar dwellers don't have the same option.

So very very true.

We went through a bad period with noisy neighbours which now appears to have been resolved, but unfortunately we had to go through formal procedures to get it to cease and now of course they don't speak to us. (Which is fine).

So many times I said to my wife how much I would have liked to pick up the house and move it elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

I don't see the point of the OP if no details or clues to where so other boaters can avoid the same conflict.  How hard is it to decide whether or not to complain to CaRT?

Sometimes some people just need to either vent or reach out for support, particularly as it seems as though they are feeling vulnerable, if isolated on a boat this is somewhere that can be used for that.

Others may not see the need and that fine but so is reaching out or venting

I'd go to the police first, I know prosecution seems a bit of a faff and may not be possible, they can also record the incident should anything happen and have a word. I know going to the police can seem futile, but to give an unrelated example, I notified the Lancashire police of some random guy who jumped out at me from behind a wall and then shouted "boo <racist word" and then walked on. It sounds minor, but I was mostly concerned that the perpetrator had lost his marbles. It turned out not to be an isolated incident and the police spoke to him. Importantly, I felt safer, and I hope that the OP might feel the same way if they make a short phone call for what sounds like a far more serious issue.

Edited by Thomas C King

there are pricks and bullies all over the place - it is not restricted to canals.  try living peacefully when a bunch of pikeys has moved into a vacant plot of land in your vicinity.

it is a sad fact of life that we need to become thick-skinned, to avoid getting wound up by other folks' behaviour and, if necessary and possible, to just move on.

some folk say it is 21st century living - AFAIK it has always been this way.  

9 minutes ago, Thomas C King said:

I'd go to the police first, I know prosecution seems a bit of a faff and may not be possible, they can also record the incident should anything happen and have a word. I know going to the police can seem futile, but to give an unrelated example, I notified the Lancashire police of some random guy who jumped out at me from behind a wall and then shouted "boo <racist word" and then walked on. It sounds minor, but I was mostly concerned that the perpetrator had lost his marbles. It turned out not to be an isolated incident and the police spoke to him. Importantly, I felt safer, and I hope that the OP might feel the same way if they make a short phone call for what sounds like a far more serious issue.

The police are so overstretched that many real crimes don't even get a police visit so I can't see them turning up because a bloke is running a generator. Police also appear unwilling to get involved in canal issues, even the blatant theft of boats. I suspect taking action where the law is unclear and people have no fixed address is just too difficult and time consuming.  If you do call the police then maybe its best to say that you are are an ethnic minority (a Bargee) and somebody has offended you ?

.................Dave

Just now, Tracy D'arth said:

Giving them a good bang on the way out!

That's not subtle enough.

A blast of  reverse and forward to suck the water out from under them and then replace it is much better as there is no contact.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

I did meet a boater who had suffered serious anti-social behaviour including thieving from another boat. He waited till said boater was away and drilled a hole in the bottom of his boat.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

Was this 'boater' moored alongside or infront or behind? What exactly are the rules about mooring alongside someone else's boat? Seems to be common practise in London but do you have any rights to refuse? I assume you have no right to board someone else's property or block them in but then if you choose not to have a home mooring you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

• Greenie 1