Antisocial boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

Before anyone starts, yes I am moving tomorrow.

I've had a gentleman moor right up next to me. He likes to run not one, but two very noisy generators until well past midnight. He also enjoys confrontations, funnily enough.

The advice I've just been given by people who have previously encountered this gentleman, is to be aware that he is already angry with me (despite the fact I haven't said a word to him) because he knows damned well his behaviour is intolerable, and a number of people have found themselves on the receiving end of violence because of this fellow's preemptive 'retaliation' against the inevitable disapproval of his ways.

Is it worth telling CRT about a character such as this? I realise they're not landlords, and I don't expect them to police boaters' behaviour under normal circumstances, but for fux sake, they've refused to renew my license before because I've spent a tiny bit too long within an area. It hardly compares to being a violent, antisocial thug.

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

But can you prove any of that?

I can believe what I've been told.

If you don't, then feel free to come down here and find out for yourself. I wouldn't advise it though. From what I've heard from people who've encountered this bloke, I am absolutely amazed he isn't locked up indefinitely in a rubber room.

1 minute ago, Izz said:

If you don't, then feel free to come down here and find out for yourself. I wouldn't advise it though. From what I've heard from people who've encountered this bloke, I am absolutely amazed he isn't locked up indefinitely in a rubber room.

Why not cut your losses and move away? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be another solution.

Howard

4 minutes ago, Izz said:

Perhaps you could, should, would be the one to get him some help for his own good before some big guy puts him and his generators out of action permanently?

I have had 3 such stroppy boaters, one finished up in the cells for a night for threatening me whilst I was phoning the police who heard him say he was going to sort me out (good luck there, I've been trying for years) , one attacked me and the police took him away and one was found dead in his boat some time later. ( no, not me. I leave them still breathing, just)

Yes report, name and shame, tell everyone, you could save a life, his or the next poor boater who moores next to him.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
  • Greenie 4

1 minute ago, howardang said:

Why not cut your losses and move away? Otherwise there doesn't seem to be another solution.

Howard

I refer the honorable gentleman to the very first sentence of this thread.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Izz said:

I believe you but you asked about reporting it to CRT, both they and the police will be looking for evidence. 

It is worth telling CRT about antisocial behaviour, but only what you know for certain to be true. So the generator running, yes. The other things you have mentioned are only hearsay and rumour, so No to them. Stick to the facts you have witnessed first-hand.

• Greenie 3

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Perhaps you could, should, would be the one to get him some help for his own good before some big guy puts him and his generators out of action permanently?

I don't fancy getting my head kicked in. What I'm interested in here is if CRT could be as inclined to decline licenses to people whose behaviour seriously impacts others along the waterways as they are to decline licenses to relatively unnoticeable people for minor misdemeanors in cruising patterns.

15 minutes ago, Izz said:

I refer the honorable gentleman to the very first sentence of this thread.

I had read that but why wait. Move as soon as possible and report it to CRT when you feel you are in a safer/quiter location.

Howard

5 minutes ago, Izz said:

I don't fancy getting my head kicked in. What I'm interested in here is if CRT could be as inclined to decline licenses to people whose behaviour seriously impacts others along the waterways as they are to decline licenses to relatively unnoticeable people for minor misdemeanors in cruising patterns.

They would at the very least need evidence.

For enforcing the cc'ing requirements they collect it themselves.

For anti social behaviour they, or rather the police if threats and voilence are involved would also need evidence in order to act.

What you might not know is that this character might have a string of complaints about him both to CRT and the police. So making a complaint about his genny running to CRT would be a starting point and a call to the police if any threats are made or carried out.

1 minute ago, The Happy Nomad said:

If you are on a canal you are allowed to move in the dark.

Use your tunnel light.

I'm scared of moving in the dark. Why should I be forced to just because one dickhead wants to behave in a way that is unacceptable to most people?

If this person moored next to you right now at this time of night, and started up a pair of generators that felt like a drill in your skull, I'm damned sure you wouldn't appreciate that advice.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Izz said:

I'm scared of moving in the dark. Why should I be forced to just because one dickhead wants to behave in a way that is unacceptable to most people?

If this person moored next to you right now at this time of night, and started up a pair of generators that felt like a drill in your skull, I'm damned sure you wouldn't appreciate that advice.

Your initial request was advice about contacting CRT. Have you done that yet? You have also been given other advice which seems reasonable but if you decide to decline it I'm not sure what else can be said.

I hope the situation is resolved soon.

Howard

7 minutes ago, Izz said:

No body is forcing you to do anything.

You have a choice, stay put and endure it (as annoying as it is) or move.

People here are trying to offer advice that is all.

Goodnight.

15 minutes ago, Izz said:

In the end it's up to you what you do and who's advice you follow, but there's only ever a limited number of options. 

3 minutes ago, howardang said:

Your initial request was advice about contacting CRT. Have you done that yet? You have also been given other advice which seems reasonable but if you decide to decline it I'm not sure what else can be said.

I hope the situation is resolved soon.

Howard

You advised me to do something that I said I intended to do in the very first sentence of this thread.

I'm not doing it in the middle of the night. Most people wouldn't. Most reasonable people would agree I shouldn't have to, and being told that I should have to because of somebody's bullying behaviour is abusive to say the least.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No body is forcing you to do anything.

You have a choice, stay put and endure it (as annoying as it is) or move.

People here are trying to offer advice that is all.

Goodnight.

I said I was going to move. The only advice I asked for was opinions on whether it's worth talking to CRT.

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, Izz said:

I said I was going to move. The only advice I asked for was opinions on whether it's worth talking to CRT.

Bear in mind this is a discussion forum and you are not entitled to receive only the advice you ask for.

Anyway it is late and you are angry with the aforementioned boater (understandably) and hopefully things will look better in the morning.

• Greenie 1

Report to CRT. Do not tell him you are doing so ( obvious I know) .Make notes of anything said or done to you. If his gennies are running until midnight then note the actual time they were switched off

Have you any dealings with this person before, is there a history?

You cannot use hearsay evidence if you report him to the police, however should the situation arise and you need to dial three nines please ensure that you mention the fact that you are a lone female and you fear for your safety. Mention what you know from others. But be prepared for them to also advise you to move

Everyone reacts differently to the level of threat either perceived or real and we are not there at the moment so it's difficult to be specific with advice. Whilst you have sought advice from your fellow boaters it's really down to you what action you take now and post incident

Batten down the hatches and ignore for now or move, we're not there so we can only offer suggestions

Hope your night quietens down.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Izz said:

There are very defined reasons, in statute, for the refusal or removal of licences.  Unfortunatly personal behaviour is not one.

Bod.

It isn't worth trying to be civilised with antisocial boaters such as this one. Just ignore them because sooner or later they will get themselves in trouble. One such chap on the Fossdyke has recently had a good dose of karma go against him. He is renowned for being a bit of a prick with everyone and earlier this year was taken through the courts for wielding a knife in a public place. He has recently decided to be a prick with the wrong person outside the Witch and Wardrobe pub and has had a taste of his own medicine which has resulted in him losing an eye.

I doubt it will change him. Once a prick always a prick :rolleyes:

In answer to your question though yes it is worth reporting their behavior to CRT and the more people that do so the better so that they can build up a picture of this chap. Also worth reporting him to the local police if his behavior warrants that.

• Greenie 1