Buying a narrowboat in Scotland

GASEHOUND

Featured Posts

There are a couple of Farcebook groups which might be useful. Don't think there's anything on at the moment, although there was a cruiser a couple of days ago (Post removed, so presumably sold )

Boats and Bits Scotland

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1507404496218740/?ref=group_browse

Scottish Narrowboats, Widebeams and Accessories for Sale

https://www.facebook.com/groups/919531884840859/?ref=group_browse

Not sure if they're public groups, so link might not be too useful!

Gotta ask : Why a narrowboat?

25 minutes ago, GASEHOUND said:

The forth and clyde has a 6ft-6in width maximum i think.

Are you sure? There are several widebeams up here. I know on  the union a 12 foot wide boat got stuck on the tunnel but that was because the sides under the water were not tapered. 

Come to think about it, a narrow boat is 6 foot 10 inches ! 

Haggis

Edited by haggis

5 hours ago, GASEHOUND said:

I am looking to buy a narrowboat in Scotland but they seem few and far between

can anyone point me in the right direction thanks

Why would you want a narrowboat In Scotland? Just wondrin as the only reason they exist is for the daft 7 feet wide locks we have been lumbered with south of your border. Up there you can have a vastly more comfortable boat shaped boat.

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Why would you want a narrowboat In Scotland? Just wondrin as the only reason they exist is for the daft 7 feet wide locks we have been lumbered with south of your border. Up there you can have a vastly more comfortable boat shaped boat.

Narrowboats are so popular down south 'cause you can cruise all the English and Welsh connected system. The narrow canals of the midlands split the wide canals in to a number of zones, with no easy way to move from one to another. The Scottish canals were all built sensibly wide, so no need for the compromises of a narrowboat, unless you enjoy walking like an ancient Egyptian! 

Jen (with a narrowboat!) 

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, GASEHOUND said:

The forth and clyde has a 6ft-6in width maximum i think.

No. 

We took a sailing yacht from Grangemouth to the west coast through the F&C in 2003 and that had a beam of at least 10 ft. It's not shrunk since then.

Buy one down south and ship it up. Far more choice.

26 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No. 

We took a sailing yacht from Grangemouth to the west coast through the F&C in 2003 and that had a beam of at least 10 ft. It's not shrunk since then.

Continental drift. It has stretched the canals out thinner and longer since 2003. ?

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

No. 

But why the hell would you? Whats the point of buying a ridiculous shaped/sized boat to use on a waterway when a real boat can be used?

• Haha 1

On 05/08/2020 at 12:18, GASEHOUND said:

I am looking to buy a narrowboat in Scotland but they seem few and far between

can anyone point me in the right direction thanks

PM me if you want the lowdown on the Lowland Canals and some help and advice in joining the 'elite' that are liveaboards and leisure boat owners on the Forth & Clyde and Union Canals. Boat dimensions vary, as posters have already suggested, from 6' 10" up to 12' and when Scottish Canals actually manage to maintain the track, all these craft can cruise between Glasgow and the Kelpies, Bowling and Edinburgh.