Fire protection round back cabin stove

Featured Posts

I thought this would be simple but I’ve gone round in circles looking for fire resistant panelling round the Epping. 
Masterboard is the only name I call but all the local builders merchants steer me off towards other stuff, like Glasroc F which seems to be a fire resistant plasterboard or Magply Renderboard (which isn’t plywood btw). 
Does masterboard exist? Are there alternatives?

Do note that the Epping is designed for back cabins so does not radiate too much heat, especially out of the back. The flue is probably the bit that mostly needs protecting.

As above, google fireboard to find lots of interesting stuff. Some board can be quite soft so a layer of decorative copper sheet on top might be good.

................Dave

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

It says cement board but I have not seen it so can't confirm one way or the other

I was being cynical for them-as-knows, but being a German manufacturer, they do make some good quality stuff.

Any of these boards can be a pain to work and our boat I used sone good quality ply (19mm) and faced it with fireproof ceramic tiiles. I could detect no heat on the other side - but then I made the stove spacing comply with reccommended air gaps.

The challenge is tha nowadays folks are trying to squeeze as much into a small space as they can - and that often ends in tears. I've at least three surveyors including one who had been about all sorts of boats for years - and they all made no comments or suggestions.

Given that "professional" (I sometimes wonder) boat builders place a stove forward in the front cabin where there is not-a-lot-of room between the sides or the exit and where it is very easy to get yourserlf burnt if/ when you need to exit the boat  - I do wonder.