Winding at Osney

Keeping Up

Featured Posts

Does anybody know if there's enough room to wind a 70ft nb just above Osney Lock, assuming there isn't a boat moored in the way at a critical point? Or do you have to go down through the lock and up again? Just wondering after the "crew" has said they might want to come down-river to do some shopping there before going back upstream. 

I am 50 feet and it is hard for me just past the hydro on the left and the Punter pub. Made worse if there is a widebeam there.

Could you not go under Osney bridge and turn around where you would turn to go onto the Oxford canal?

Read it again...you are heading down. In which case you could turn into where the Osney dry dock is just below the lock on the right. That would give you plenty to turn to head back up.

Edited by Paringa
Didn't read the question properly....

I don't know, but there might be a moored boat in the way and its a narrow channel so can have quite a bit of flow. Even if its possible I would not want to wind a 70 footer there.  As said above, winding at Sheepwash and doing a long reverse would be a better option, the reverse is with the flow so not so bad as t'other way round.

Or moor just above ISIS lock, still only a short walk into the city.

...................Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

Or moor just above ISIS lock, still only a short walk into the city.

...................Dave

Changing the subject somewhat, I am amazed that the people who must be offended have not called for the name of that lock to be changed yet....

19 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Changing the subject somewhat, I am amazed that the people who must be offended have not called for the name of that lock to be changed yet....

The word ISIS is quite a part of Oxford culture and history, I believe the Thames is properly called ISIS above where the Thame comes in just below Days lock, so a lot of Renaming would be required. Also I think Isis is an Egyptian god and surely even the politically over-correct types would not mess with a god ?

There are other locks on the system with far more unfortunate names that need urgent changes. Top of the list, I suggest that Cobblers lock (K&A) needs a new name, how about shoe repairers lock?

................Dave

55 minutes ago, dmr said:

its a narrow channel so can have quite a bit of flow.

Not much flow on the river at the moment. Just a raging trickle, far less than on say the Llangollen, except of course when the lock keeper opens the paddles all the way up.

I turned Parglena above Osney 61ft plus 3ft of rudder stern to the towpath as I had come upstream I don't remember it being remotely tight.

Google maps gives it as 25yards across at that point

Edited by Loddon

If you're not coming on to the Thames licence wise - then there always seems enough room at the sheepwash junction with the Thames known as "four rivers".

However, I'm suspecting the flow is low and mebe the level also. There is a sand bar there which might introduce a challenge. If you're being a bad lad and sneaking on to the River without a licence and there's a lockie on duty - then you might get charged.

OTOH if everything is Kosher or out of hours, then you can put your stern / bow into the EA maintenance yard to wind around. Isis lock is reasonably fast to fill and empty, thus it won't delay you from any pub time.....  

The river level is 0.44m at the momemt and falling - thus the sand bar may be a challenge to a novice...

https://riverlevels.uk/thames-botley-osney-lock#.XymEazW1va8

Edited by OldGoat

I'm spending a month on the river, so I've got my licence. Started by going up to Lechlade, and now near Abingdon heading down river. When we come back up, Pingu has hinted that she wouldn't mind going back up-river (maybe for another meal at the Tadpole at Troutbridge) then coming back for a final shopping trip in Oxford before going back on to the canal. Hence the query; just one positive response so far (thanks @Loddon) so maybe it is possible in the right conditions.

Isis Lock is also called Louse Lock.  Max winding on the canal is 55ft [Water Nav].

I have gone through, under the railway and faced upstream to Port Meadow, then let the flow take you backwards then turn back under the railway.  Since the EA put the barrage dolphins across the flow to Hythe bridge to stop mooring where the new apartments overlook the stream, CRT suggest putting the stem into a notch on the lock landing and letting the flow turn you as you hold the stem rope.  The dolphins and wire are still in play though.

We winded our 58'6" above Osney when there was nowhere to moor on East Street. There was enough room for us to turn and I don't remember it being a particular problem. We then went back to Sheepwash and up Isis Lock and reversed down to the VMs at the very end of the canal.

An interesting question. I moor at Osney and have never needed to wind above the lock, but it always feels narrow there even for my 52 ft boat. The widest bit I think is by the upstream marina entrance halfway along East Street. Otherwise, given the direction you're travelling, tie up to the bank upstream of Sheepwash channel. There are plenty of gaps between the trees and it's nice and quiet. It's also barely any further into town than E Street, there's a path straight to the station.

3 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

That's where I meant at the upstream marina entrance. One still needs to take care as the current whistles through when the lock paddles go up.

Timing is everything ;)

• Greenie 1

We've turned at the head of the spit by the lock layby - but it's tight and depends whether ther are any large cruisers moored at the end. We're 60 ft which IMHO about the maximum if there are obstructions.

The large area at the Thames end of sheepwash does have sandbars which can be seen from the satellite view. I believe EA did dredge it some years ago, but it doesn't take long to fill up again...

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

That's where I meant at the upstream marina entrance. One still needs to take care as the current whistles through when the lock paddles go up.

Yes that is where I was thinking of. I reckon the ideal would be to put the bows into the Marina entrance and hope the locky opens the paddles so that the current grabs the stern and swings the boat around by pivoting on the point of the spit.

I suggested other options to Pingu but she seems keen to go to the supermarket just West of there, and insists that she doesn't want to have to carry the shopping a long way.

Actually if you don't count the fenders and rudder we are only 67 ft (I've often been told I'm a yard short of a full length ? ) so it sounds like there should be room. Oh wouldn't it cause a lovely obstruction if I got stuck!

Edited by Keeping Up
Smelling mistooks
  • Haha 1