Apologies for another breakdown insurance question

Amh300

Featured Posts

I'm travelling out on the canal for the first time in September from my current morning at Willowtree Marina (Southall) to my new mooring at Fazeley Marina (Tamworth). I'm looking for breakdown cover that would include towing. I've seen posts that mention RCR, but I think that insurance will only tow me to my home marina (and with a mx 2 hr tow), so I'm not sure that will be much use to me? Are there other insurers who come recommended? But maybe this is a non-issue in that most cruisers are permanently on the move. I suppose I'm just anxious at the (rare) possibility of a breakdown and unsure how to get to my destination. You will probably write that that is all part of the fun! Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.

4 minutes ago, Amh300 said:

I'm travelling out on the canal for the first time in September from my current morning at Willowtree Marina (Southall) to my new mooring at Fazeley Marina (Tamworth). I'm looking for breakdown cover that would include towing. I've seen posts that mention RCR, but I think that insurance will only tow me to my home marina (and with a mx 2 hr tow), so I'm not sure that will be much use to me? Are there other insurers who come recommended? But maybe this is a non-issue in that most cruisers are permanently on the move. I suppose I'm just anxious at the (rare) possibility of a breakdown and unsure how to get to my destination. You will probably write that that is all part of the fun! Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.

I would not worry about being towed unless the boat is in such terrible condition that you know it will breakdown.  Is it very old, poor engine or sinking?

Most times I have had boats that just won't go, other boaters have towed them in for the owners, its a community of folk most of whom are willing to help.

Just carry out some basic maintenance like checking or perhaps changing the oil and filters (Including the gearbox), check coolant level, checking belt tensions etc. Diesels generally fail due to fuel issues so if possible inspect the fuel tank which can tend to accumulate water and debris at the bottom. Ideally suck the gunge out of the bottom of the tank to ensure it doesn’t find its way into the engine.

Most people including us manage to cruise for thousands of hours without breaking down, so provided the above mentioned basic maintenance has been carried out, it’s pretty unlikely you will.

Even if you do break down (unlikely) it is normally possible to fix the problem on the spot unless there has been a catastrophic failure. So RCR may be worth the peace of mind even if they won’t tow you to your destination.

Edited by nicknorman

Agree with Nick's post, would add, buy spares of high failure items, belts, fuses, water pump.  Keep spare service items on board, and if you have any real concerns, get a mechanic to service boat before you cruise. Prevention is better than etc...

To emphasize what I said in your other topic and Nick posted above. If you don't know much about the boat please ensure you have drained whatever is lurking in the bottom of the fuel tank out until you get to clear red diesel. I would also suggest that you change/get changed the fuel filter(s) and when you do get to look at what fuel comes out of them and preferably open it/them up to look for slimes and water.

7 minutes ago, Amh300 said:

Thanks for all your replies. Engine is being checked over by a qualified mechanic; filters changed and spares acquired ? 

You probably already have insurance but, for the record, I insure with GJW and get the most basic level of RCR cover included in the premium. I guess RCR want you to upgrade to a higher level. I don't go far, so merely treat it as a bonus, and it's quite reassuring to have a number to call.