Cheapest Diesel Trent and Mersey

PD1964

Featured Posts

19 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Yes, it is such a pity they are so close to each other.

Well, perhaps not. Is it the competition that keeps the price down?

On rare occasions Norbury have been cheaper than Turners, generally its the other way by fractions of  penny.

I get shell shock filling up south of Birmingham, a noticeable price jump.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well, perhaps not. Is it the competition that keeps the price down?

On rare occasions Norbury have been cheaper than Turners, generally its the other way by fractions of  penny.

I get shell shock filling up south of Birmingham, a noticeable price jump.

When we had a shareboat based at Norbury, they were significantly more expensive than Turner's. It is a fairly recent thing (within the last 10 years) that Norbury almost match Turner's price.

• 2 months later...
On 08/08/2020 at 20:26, J R ALSOP said:

63.9 per litre at Wheaton Aston.

I've been told that Wheaton Aston is the cheapest on the system, is that true? I checked at Anglo Welsh in Great Haywood and they were 80p/l. Otherton marina is 85p/l. So the difference is rather marked. I'm used to 90p+ on the Grand Union so all these prices sound great to me.

I need to fill up soon and I'm on the Trent and Mersey heading northwest from Rugeley, but plan to head up the Shroppie so could wait until then if it will save me a few quid.

On 09/08/2020 at 18:05, Sea Dog said:

Don't forget to send price updates to the email address provided at this link....

http://diesel.fibrefactory.co.uk/

Is this kept pretty up to date?

I do also need a lot of Excel coal and two new 13kg gas, so would be happy to go a bit out of my way...

3 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I do also need a lot of Excel coal and two new 13kg gas, so would be happy to go a bit out of my way...

If you are after saving a few pence try Red - its made by the same company as Excel but is not accredited for use in a  smokeless area but for all intents and purposes it seem to be smokeless.

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

If you are after saving a few pence try Red - its made by the same company as Excel but is not accredited for use in a  smokeless area but for all intents and purposes it seem to be smokeless.

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try! We tried all kinds of solid fuel and Excel just seems to outperform all of them. Might be operator error though!

7 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

I've been told that Wheaton Aston is the cheapest on the system, is that true? I checked at Anglo Welsh in Great Haywood and they were 80p/l. Otherton marina is 85p/l. So the difference is rather marked. I'm used to 90p+ on the Grand Union so all these prices sound great to me.

I need to fill up soon and I'm on the Trent and Mersey heading northwest from Rugeley, but plan to head up the Shroppie so could wait until then if it will save me a few quid.

Norbury Junction seems to try to stay within 0.1p of Wheaton Aston, advertises as the cheapest diesel in on the cut (Wheaton Aston is a garage). They would probably be good for gas and perhaps, solid fuel.

Once you are on the Cheshire Ring you are in the territory of fuel boats Halsall and Bargus. Their prices have been competitive when I have bought from them.

https://m.facebook.com/fourcountiesfuels/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fourcountiesfuels.co.uk%2F

Mountbatten and Jellicoe also serve the Shroppie.

https://chamberlaincarryingco.co.uk

Edited by David Mack

12 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Thanks for the tip, I will give it a try! We tried all kinds of solid fuel and Excel just seems to outperform all of them. Might be operator error though!

I tried Red two winters ago and swapped completely to Red for last winter. This is in a small house stove of a similar size to a boat stove. Can't comment on its ability to slumber overnight because out stoves idiot riddle system really needs manual de-ashing every morning.

Edited by Tony Brooks

15 minutes ago, frahkn said:

Norbury Junction seems to try to stay within 0.1p of Wheaton Aston, advertises as the cheapest diesel in on the cut (Wheaton Aston is a garage). They would probably be good for gas and perhaps, solid fuel.

Norbury are usually very slightly more expensive than Turners, justified they say by it being FAME free.

The guy at Turners told me he speaks to Norbury at least once a week to agree their mutual prices depending on delivery costs etc.

1 hour ago, Keeping Up said:

Norbury are usually very slightly more expensive than Turners, justified they say by it being FAME free.

The guy at Turners told me he speaks to Norbury at least once a week to agree their mutual prices depending on delivery costs etc.

Norbury can no longer guarantee to supply FAME free, no one can anymore unfortunately.

Edited by cuthound

3 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

It's updated by the likes of ourselves sending in prices by email. I contribute when I can, but there is quite a lot of stale data on the spreadsheet. It's still a handy reference to find pump outs,fuel, gas, etc, but it's only as good as it's contributors. Do be one of those contributors when you can.