Secure moorings around Camp Hill.

Terryb

Featured Posts

Yes there are services at the top lock and a few places to moor “offside” ie without access to the rest of the world, including just beyond the services in what used to be a covered dock (not covered any more). It might be a bit difficult to get off the boat to discover the highlights of downtown Camphill though!

Can I just mention that the canal from top of Camp Hill to Catherine de Barnes is a shit hole! Shallow, smelly, full of junk and bits of wood from the trees. You are pretty much in a tree lined cutting a lot of the way, so nothing to look at. If you have the alternative route of the N Stratford into/out of Birmingham, I’d recommend that!

Actually if you want to get off the boat I think a BW key will give you access from the services area to the towpath beside the top lock.

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Can I just mention that the canal from top of Camp Hill to Catherine de Barnes is a shit hole! Shallow, smelly, full of junk and bits of wood from the trees. You are pretty much in a tree lined cutting a lot of the way, so nothing to look at. If you have the alternative route of the N Stratford into/out of Birmingham, I’d recommend that!

Actually if you want to get off the boat I think a BW key will give you access from the services area to the towpath beside the top lock.

When I'm off the boat I walk the dog along that stretch and while it is pretty grotty, you need to remember that it passes through the 'inerest' of inner cities.

Beyond Yardley there are some nice surroundings, you just need the bottle to explore a bit. I see quite a few boats moored along this section and have never seen one come to harm.

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I think so too -- it's a while since we were there, but I'm fairly certain there's a gate to the lockside, and you can cross the lock to the towpath.

8 minutes ago, adam1uk said:

I think so too -- it's a while since we were there, but I'm fairly certain there's a gate to the lockside, and you can cross the lock to the towpath.

There is, or certainly was in April.

MP.

There's been a few boats moored for longer than overnight recently, just above the top lock. Don't think they came to any harm. 

I moved from Birmingham to Knowle over the weekend.

The elsan was in a terrible state, mainly because it's been blocked up and seeping sewage into the bin area. Spent three hours on Saturday trying to clear it up, then reported it to CRT and they're getting in touch with the contractors to fix it.

Apart from that, it's quite a nice place. My work backs onto the canal about 600 yards up from the top lock.

7 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Treat yourself and go via the Walsall and Tame Valley ...

That would be a great trip W&E, Walsall, Tame Valley, Garrison, GU from Camp Hill.  You just need to teleport to the Coventry and you would have the full set.

On the other hand we came into Birmingham yesterday via the B&F and up Aston and Farmers Bridge, did not go down the weedhatch once, and when I checked it after we stopped in the centre, there was just one bit of plastic stuck on the prop split pin.  The locks all worked well as well.

On 03/08/2020 at 19:57, nicknorman said:

I disagree. I came through there last autumn. Yes its urban, and there is some rubbish, but no worse than urban stretches elsewhere. As you get further out from the city centre it is more tree lined, which does hide the urban stuff beyond. I didn't find it noticeably smelly, and drawing a full 3 feet we do tend to stir up the bottom a bit more than shallower drafted craft. Even though the level was a couple of inches off, we had no real problems until we got to Lode Lane bridge (by the JLR works) where we grounded on a shoal where water and earth has obviously been spilling down the cutting side and across the towpath. And in trying to manouevre forwards and back around this shoal we picked up something on the prop. As it was getting towards evening on the last day of the trip (we had planned to get to C de B), and my wife had a hospital appointment in Leeds the following day, we pulled back clear of the bridge, tied up, and left the boat there.

I went back alone a few days later. Boat was as we had left it. In daylight, the short shaft soon pulled a bicycle inner tube off the prop (we have no weedhatch), by now the level was up again, and I had no problem passing over the shoal, and then a trouble free trip through to Knowle.

I am now WELL AND TRULY STUCK. The Tame Valley got me before Perry Bar locks. Has anyone any idea what I can do. I've taken 5 hours to cover 1 mile. Been in the weed hole 7 times. The front is ploughing up So much Cabomba Weed, that I can't push through if I had a clear prop. I've called CaRT so far 2 hours and nothing. I'm scratching my head for ideas. 

11 minutes ago, Terryb said:

I am now WELL AND TRULY STUCK. The Tame Valley got me before Perry Bar locks. Has anyone any idea what I can do. I've taken 5 hours to cover 1 mile. Been in the weed hole 7 times. The front is ploughing up So much Cabomba Weed, that I can't push through if I had a clear prop. I've called CaRT so far 2 hours and nothing. I'm scratching my head for ideas. 

Ah yes that is very nasty weed. Not sure what you can do except persevere. How much further to go? It will probably be OK after the top lock.

Cheers Nick. I think a mile 1/2 ? have vented at CaRT but 2 hours nothing. Having secured the boat and prepared the prop, I'm now walking to the locks to get an idea of what lays ahead. 

1 hour ago, Terryb said:

We were coming the other way, I may have just changed my mind, how far are you? We are at the top of the locks

54 minutes ago, Terryb said:

Cheers Nick. I think a mile 1/2 ? have vented at CaRT but 2 hours nothing. Having secured the boat and prepared the prop, I'm now walking to the locks to get an idea of what lays ahead. 

Its fine from the locks down, we have just come up

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We were coming the other way, I may have just changed my mind, how far are you? We are at the top of the locks

Its fine from the locks down, we have just come up

A boat went from the top lock to the junction to wind earlier, said it was hard work

I'm about a mile away. I'll give it a go tomorrow now. It does look like the next 200 metres are the worst. There is also a fallen tree between me and the locks. It is passable, but means going through thicker weed to do so. Personally, I think it's as close to impassable  than I have ever known. 

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

May be quicker to bow haul.

Tried that too. The build up at the front makes it impossible.  In fact it's so thick all around the boat, despite an off shore wind, I havnt needed to tie up. ?