Epoxy Resin for sealing marine ply

RAB

Featured Posts

Possibly a daft question but realised I must be getting old, as for the life of me I can't remember how I did this in the past! When sealing marine ply edges, with Epoxy do you use the resin direct or do you still need to mix with a hardner, OR, have times progress and is there now an epoxy type clear paint you can brush on direct from the tin? Marine ply is for outdoor use (Not for boat!).

Any getting old and forgetful jokes fully accepted.

Many thanks in advance.

As  far as I know West Systems still need mixing and applying, for the edges of plywood i would use a cheap paintbrush and a plastic "filler applicator" to clean off any that runs down the sides of the plywood.

There are other single pack products like Endsel (spelling) but I would rather trust epoxy

Edited by Tony Brooks

5 minutes ago, RAB said:

Possibly a daft question but realised I must be getting old, as for the life of me I can't remember how I did this in the past! When sealing marine ply edges, with Epoxy do you use the resin direct or do you still need to mix with a hardner, OR, have times progress and is there now an epoxy type clear paint you can brush on direct from the tin? Marine ply is for outdoor use (Not for boat!).

Any getting old and forgetful jokes fully accepted.

Many thanks in advance.

Resin without hardener will never properly cure.  That said there are industrial epoxies where the hardener is already mixed into the resin but only becomes active at high temperatures, or if becomes active at moderate temperatures must be stored in a freezer.  Best read the data sheet for what you are intending to use.

Epoxy for coating marine ply (edges) ALWAYS is 2 pack. Resin without hardener will NEVER cure. Cure is crosslinking of the polymer chains and that only occurs with hardener.

Yes, premixed epoxies are made but these are usually sealant types.

2 pack epoxy for sealing marine ply will always be better than single pack alternatives. As Tony says, West are a good supplier of this type of epoxy resin.