Using the inverter

Barry Orton

Featured Posts

It depends on the inverter and the general provision of battery power. Some inverters use a lot of power (relatively) whilst on but not doing anything. Sterling inverters are bad for this. Others (usually the more expensive ones) are very frugal. We have a Mastervolt which we leave on 24/7 but it uses less than 1 amp when idling.

So there is no right answer to your question, it depends on equipment and circumstances. A “half way house” might be to leave it on during the day and switch off overnight.

If it's any help (not) I turn my Sterling inverter on when it's needed - but then it's only for the TV and its associated gubbins and it hasn't blown up in 20+ years.

I disagree that Sterling inverters have a much heavier standby load than other makes. They all take about 1 amp, whether at 12 or 24V.

In eco mode ther is more variation, but as none of my own or test inverters would start my mains fridge, that mode was of no interest to me....

This question raises concerns  for me.

New boater, inverter, microwave, tv and vacuum cleaner !

Questions to Barry:

Have you done a power/energy audit to see how many batteries you need to supply YOUR use of electricity?

Have you done the charging calculations to ensure you can keep the batteries fully charged  (if not expect a short of very short battery life)?

Have you read, studied and understood the content of Wotever's battery primer pinned to the start of the Maintenance forum?

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

More importantly are you on a landline, in which case, you can leave it on.

Surely on a landline, there's no need to leave it on? (Unless it's a Combi, I suppose.)

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

If it's any help (not) I turn my Sterling inverter on when it's needed - but then it's only for the TV and its associated gubbins and it hasn't blown up in 20+ years.

I disagree that Sterling inverters have a much heavier standby load than other makes. They all take about 1 amp, whether at 12 or 24V.

In eco mode ther is more variation, but as none of my own or test inverters would start my mains fridge, that mode was of no interest to me....

Depends on the model, I guess. Ours pulls about 3 Amps when doing nothing; interestingly, a bit less when powering a small device such as a drill charger.

1 hour ago, Barry Orton said:

I'm new to boating so please be gentle ?

I use the inverter for microwave, tv and vacuum cleaner and my question is whether it's better to switch the inverter off after using an appliance or leaving it permanently switched on.

Thanks for any advice.

For your pattern of use switch it off

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

My old one took 4 amps but it was made in 2008 and 3000 VA.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

and ignore anything to do with batteries and charging - - - - - - until you go for a few days cruise

.....how did you know I've just been into Market Harborough basin for a delivery of 6 x 115ah batteries...

?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

.....how did you know I've just been into Market Harborough basin for a delivery of 6 x 115ah batteries...

?

Don't understand. I was trying to point out to the OP that if he is on a landline then he need not do what I was implying he should in my earlier post. You obviously know about batteries, especially after lifting those into position.

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Indeed, they have improved hugely in that respect in the last few years.