Uber Boat

blackrose

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere:

Starting today 

https://www.thamesclippers.com/about-thames-clippers/news/uber-boat-by-thames-clippers

So what does it do? Day hire? Trip boat?

I see that boarding will be by "Q.R. technology", which must be a posh name for a plank.

3 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

think its going to be a qr code on uber app... for ticket 

Them funny square things consisting of black and white cubes you see on adverts that ensures those without smart phones have no idea what the add is about.

11 hours ago, Athy said:

So what does it do? Day hire? Trip boat?

Did you look on the website? It's a commuter service that will probably do well serving tourists too (assuming the global economy ever gets back to normal). I don't know the ticket prices of the existing Thames passenger clippers but if it's anything like the Uber taxi business model they'll undercut the competition.

Edited by blackrose

18 hours ago, blackrose said:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere:

Starting today 

https://www.thamesclippers.com/about-thames-clippers/news/uber-boat-by-thames-clippers

I guess in this case TfL has decided that passengers aren't likely to get raped by an unlicensed skipper!

The clippers have been running for decades, all that is changing is the sponsor/advertiser, until recently it has been MDMA, there will be no change of ownership.

The clippers are a timetabled multi stop waterbus service not designed as trip boats but many tourists still use them. If you want a commentary get a tourist trip boat.

You can pay using oyster and debit/credit cards

clip 3.jpg

clip 4.jpg

clip 5.jpg

Edited by Tim Lewis
  • Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

The clippers have been running for decades, 

Yes I know, I'm from London. I'm just wondering if Uber's involvement will reduce the prices for commuters, that's all. I wasn't suggesting that clippers were new on the Thames.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

Yes I know, I'm from London. I'm just wondering if Uber's involvement will reduce the prices for commuters, that's all. I wasn't suggesting that clippers were new on the Thames.

Who are "Uber"? Presumably a shipping company.

20 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Them funny square things consisting of black and white cubes you see on adverts that ensures those without smart phones have no idea what the add is about

Them funny square things consisting of black and white cubes you seen on adverts that ensures those with smart phones have no idea what dodgy site they are being taken to...

11 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The clippers have been running for decades, all that is changing is the sponsor/advertiser, until recently it has been MDMA, there will be no change of ownership.

The clippers are a timetabled multi stop waterbus service not designed as trip boats but many tourists still use them. If you want a commentary get a tourist trip boat.

clip 3.jpg

clip 4.jpg

clip 5.jpg

They can be quite scary for other craft. I was doing a refresher for power boat handling near Poplar a couple of years ago (6.5 metre RHIB with a 140HP Suzuki on the back). We were doing 17 knots upstream and one overtook us as he was slowing down for the pier

2 hours ago, 1st ade said:

Them funny square things consisting of black and white cubes you seen on adverts that ensures those with smart phones have no idea what dodgy site they are being taken to...

They can be quite scary for other craft. I was doing a refresher for power boat handling near Poplar a couple of years ago (6.5 metre RHIB with a 140HP Suzuki on the back). We were doing 17 knots upstream and one overtook us as he was slowing down for the pier

The clippers are usually very good at slowing down when  passing narrowboats which is more than can be said for the tourist RIB experience boats!

17 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

You mean MBNA, the bank.  had it been MDMA they would probably go even faster than they do already.