Buckby flight closed until 07 th .

johnmck

Featured Posts

51 minutes ago, Bod said:

Thats a big pound. Watford locks to Braunston locks, via the tunnel.

Bod.

It was brim full at 7am, but since then they have filled the pounds between Whilton bottom lock 13 and Buckby 9. ......

Along with several dozen boats going up and down each way.

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It was brim full at 7am, but since then they have filled the pounds between Whilton bottom lock 13 and Buckby 9. ......

Along with several dozen boats going up and down each way.

Mmm! I was going to be joining em, but I think i'll give it a day or two!

10 hours ago, matty40s said:

Could well have been!

We also passed by you moored by Norton Junction around midday today.

We came down Watford Locks late morning. There was a hell of a lot of water leaking through one of the cills there, 2nd lock down I think it was. The Vlockie had called for CRT assistance. I've not seen any notices, so I assume its OK / Been fixed / About to fail

IMG_2142.jpg

Edited by Big Bob W

Pumps working at 7am, the great hire boat rescue was completed this morning with the last 4 going down very early.

1 hour ago, Big Bob W said:

Pound below lock 9 dry this morning.

CRT running down water.

That's been dry every morning this year, I cant believe they didnt take the opportunity to fix lock 10 that at the same time.

• 2 months later...

While I’m aware of the power of social media to flag these things up, sinkings seem to be depressingly common these days. Looking back to earlier days, I don’t recall anything other than the very occasional incident. Any thoughts? Am I wearing my rose tinteds??

Just now, dave moore said:

While I’m aware of the power of social media to flag these things up, sinkings seem to be depressingly common these days. Looking back to earlier days, I don’t recall anything other than the very occasional incident. Any thoughts? Am I wearing my rose tinteds??

I do think the internet in general means we hear more of what’s going on all over the system. Having said that I think there’s less tuition from hire fleets which in turn means less experience if/when people then own their own boat..this coupled with people thinking the cut is a theme park where all risk is eliminated has lead to people becoming complacent.

Some of the problem now is life indeed has had a lot risk taken from it...so when it actually is present people can’t cope with it. 

30 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Hope Vulpes and Captain Pegg got up there, he was sharing with a hire boat st 5.30 pm yesterday!!

Hopefully he was through, not sure where he posted the picture of Aquila from last night.

7 minutes ago, frangar said:

I do think the internet in general means we hear more of what’s going on all over the system. Having said that I think there’s less tuition from hire fleets which in turn means less experience if/when people then own their own boat..this coupled with people thinking the cut is a theme park where all risk is eliminated has lead to people becoming complacent.

Some of the problem now is life indeed has had a lot risk taken from it...so when it actually is present people can’t cope with it. 

At the same time, it is popular to ignore wise advice built on years of practical and informed experience in order to be a sovereign boater doing just as they please. Sometimes it is forgotten that 'freedom' always brings with it the freedom to do unwise things!

14 minutes ago, dave moore said:

Keeping too close to silly cill markers and playing smart phones not paying attention. :closedeyes:.