Jump to content

Buckby flight closed until 07 th .


Featured Posts

Unfortunately, we have had to temporarily close the Buckby Lock Flight. 

One of the Cills has blown, on the third lock as you approach from the bottom of the flight. 

We will be on site tomorrow morning, to carry out a full investigation. 

We aim to have the lock flight operational again by Friday and will update the website tomorrow when we have more information. 

We appreciate our customers patience at this time.

Please follow the government advice – stay alert, control the virus, save lives.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I reckon theres 8 or more Bird Hire Boats(you know, the tawny owl ones), 7 share boats and several Wyvern hire boats gone up there this weekend.....

The Union Canal carriers, Napton, Calcutt , and others will have gone down...

Bet this gets fixed very quickly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I reckon theres 8 or more Bird Hire Boats(you know, the tawny owl ones), 7 share boats and several Wyvern hire boats gone up there this weekend.....

The Union Canal carriers, Napton, Calcutt , and others will have gone down...

Bet this gets fixed very quickly.

Blown cill in 5 days....so they can do it when the hire boats are involved.....

  • Greenie 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

In actual fact, you are correct in this instance, points awarded...🙂

Sat on a perfect mooring, completely sanitised after Foxton.

20200802_195131.jpg

Be careful that cat might be asymptomatic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, matty40s said:

In actual fact, you are correct in this instance, points awarded...🙂

Sat on a perfect mooring, completely sanitised after Foxton.

20200802_195131.jpg

Not tied up to @nicknorman standards, he will be on here shouting "Springs! " if he sees this.

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Obviously, as they have the flight shut, they can sort the problems at lock 10 at the same time......😈

Silly, that would be sensible, never going to happen.

Its 2 jobs for the contractors if they ignore the logical solution.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, magnetman said:

So what is a "blown cill" then? 

 

 

If this is a serious question.

 

When closed the bottom of both sets of gates sit against a bulk of timber, brick work, concrete or a combination thereof, In the case of the upper gates this forms the cill that you can often see when you empty the lock. A blown cill is when something has moved the whole thing so the gates can no longer but up to it. This could be extreme neglect plus water pressure or as its often the shallowest part of the lock a boat hitting it or catching on it and dragging it out of place.

 

I suspect that when water is spewing in under the gates people call it a blown cill but often its debris trapped between the gate and cill. That's why its a good idea to carrry a keb - not that I ever have.

  • Greenie 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

06/08/2020 11:21

After de-watering the lock and completing the fish rescue, we unfortunately discovered further maintenance issues, which require our attention. 

These works include repairs to both wooden cills, which are loose and there is also a hole in the lock gate which requires further maintenance work. 

Due to the location of the required works, we cannot get our crane boat close enough to assist and therefore a lot of the work is being done manually by our maintenance team on site.  This consequently means that these works will take slightly longer then we originally planned.

However, we are working hard to complete this job as soon as possible and aim to be finished by Monday afternoon.

We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause and appreciated our customers continued patience during this time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/08/2020 at 12:18, Tony Brooks said:

If this is a serious question.

 

When closed the bottom of both sets of gates sit against a bulk of timber, brick work, concrete or a combination thereof, In the case of the upper gates this forms the cill that you can often see when you empty the lock. A blown cill is when something has moved the whole thing so the gates can no longer but up to it. This could be extreme neglect plus water pressure or as its often the shallowest part of the lock a boat hitting it or catching on it and dragging it out of place.

 

I suspect that when water is spewing in under the gates people call it a blown cill but often its debris trapped between the gate and cill. That's why its a good idea to carrry a keb - not that I ever have.

Keb or a proper old school shaft hook. I have several of each and have removed items lodged between gate and cill on several occasions. The most satisfying is stabbing a piece of wood with the spike and lifting it out. I love doing that. 

 

I hadn't come across the term "blown cill" before. I suppose it makes sense but I wonder if it is a technical term or one made up on the spot by someone without any technical knowledge. 

 

ETA the use of the word "blown" implies that it is part of the design for the thing to fail. Like a fuse of some sort. But it isn't. Failure of a cill is failure not a design feature. And it's a serious failure as well. 

 

Bad. 

 

 

Edited by magnetman
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Big Bob W said:

I had a walk up the flight this evening to take a look.

No water coming in from the pound above, but to my unskilled eyes, I could not see any evidence of any new masonry / timbers. 

 

Bucby2.jpg.7850daa252bd59422bacae8797efa825.jpg

 

Bucby1.jpg.1c1ca2f87890f9b4f7226f961cfac1c4.jpg

 

 

That must have been you that passed me!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.