Islington Marina/ cotton Fields

umpire111

Featured Posts

New Islington is unusual and although it has residential moorings its not like a typical marina. You just turn in and moor (two or three spaces on the left, pumpout and water on the right). Its totally public with a pub, bakery and housing (young peoples apartments) right next to the moorings. There might be a few street drinkers/rough sleepers hanging about but its mostly a safe place. The chances are that you will not see any of the marina management people, I think they mostly run it by phone/email.

A friendly resident boater might help if you have any questions.

...............Dave

On 02/08/2020 at 19:04, dmr said:

New Islington is unusual and although it has residential moorings its not like a typical marina. You just turn in and moor (two or three spaces on the left, pumpout and water on the right). Its totally public with a pub, bakery and housing (young peoples apartments) right next to the moorings. There might be a few street drinkers/rough sleepers hanging about but its mostly a safe place. The chances are that you will not see any of the marina management people, I think they mostly run it by phone/email.

A friendly resident boater might help if you have any questions.

...............Dave

Tx again Dave, had a pleasure able 2 night stop

19 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Tx again Dave, had a pleasure able 2 night stop

Did you try the pub/bar? Its a funny place, reminds me of a student bar of about 40 years ago, but with modern prices ?. The bakery is also interesting, some mornings there is a huge queue waiting for it to open.

Was the trip down through Rochdale and outer Manchester ok? How many weedhatch visits?

................Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

Did you try the pub/bar? Its a funny place, reminds me of a student bar of about 40 years ago, but with modern prices ?. The bakery is also interesting, some mornings there is a huge queue waiting for it to open.

Was the trip down through Rochdale and outer Manchester ok? How many weedhatch visits?

................Dave

Yep had a drink in there, I’m a bit old now for that. We were moored right outside. Had coffee and than a breakfast at the bakery, pollin or something it’s called. Trip was fine and I Had no weed hatch issues but we travelled with another boat and he got snarled a few times. He blames it on his Axiom prop which I was thinking of but glad I didn’t. Anderton  lift to Weaver tmrw.

5 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

Yep had a drink in there, I’m a bit old now for that. We were moored right outside. Had coffee and than a breakfast at the bakery, pollin or something it’s called. Trip was fine and I Had no weed hatch issues but we travelled with another boat and he got snarled a few times. He blames it on his Axiom prop which I was thinking of but glad I didn’t. Anderton  lift to Weaver tmrw.

Weaver is lovely, do it end to end, don't look at the first lock and turn back like many do. At the top its fine to go out into the flash to turn, there's even a "marina" (visitor mooring) there. Just don't go too far and take it slow so if you do touch the bottom you can just reverse off. At the other end its worth stopping on the pontoon by the Ship Canal lock and having a look at the Ship Canal and Mersey.

..............Dave