Too old for narrow boat life?

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, haggis said:

They do indeed but you then have to haul them out of the water

Haggis

That  is the problem, I found it fine lifting from the deck but trying to haul them out of the water while holding them away from walkway got to be nigh on impossible. Easier to sort of walk them down the jetty.

On 03/08/2020 at 08:31, Mad Harold said:

Cruising is dead easy,you can steer the boat untill a week before you shake off your mortal coil.

Locks however,are a different matter.

With age usually comes stiffness of back,hips and knees.I know about this as I am old enough to remember the Romans leaving Britain in 440ad.

At the weekend had a trip from Huddersfield to 'Slawit'and back the next day.40 odd locks in two days on my own.

Some of the paddles needed superhuman strength to operate,and I was quite knackered when I returned.I did sleep well that night.

The one that always sticks in my mind was the couple we met a Gailey Lock a few years ago. We'd just made the move from hiring to a share boat and were talking to a couple coming through the lock. They'd had the boat 25 years and had no plansd to hang up their windlasses. They just did less each day gthan they did 25 years ago.

She was 88 and he was 92.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It wasn't 6 years ago, and their names Elizabeth & Phillip was it ?

I think it was around then, though I'm afraid I can't recall any names. It was our first two weeks with 'Daydream' and my much better half went to help with the lock while I got the toilet pumped out. I've noticed she often disappears whenever that task comes around ?

It was the same time that the remmenants of Huricane Bertha were arriving. I think our whole twop weeks were almost constant rain.

25 minutes ago, Rassiloth said:

I think it was around then, though I'm afraid I can't recall any names. It was our first two weeks with 'Daydream' and my much better half went to help with the lock while I got the toilet pumped out. I've noticed she often disappears whenever that task comes around ?

It was the same time that the remmenants of Huricane Bertha were arriving. I think our whole twop weeks were almost constant rain.

QEII is now 94 and Prince Phillip has just turned 99.