Land slip at bridge 57 Shropshire union canal

frangar

Featured Posts

Just seen this on twitter....may affect some plans...including ours if it's not sorted quickly!

dated 1/8/20 2120hrs

"there's been a landslip in one of the cuttings. The Shropshire Union Canal is currently closed between Bridge 56 and Bridge 58 due to a large landslip at Bridge 57 High Bridge for safety concerns. Update tomorrow morning."

Got stuck a few days ago on this same tree and rock slip that had so reduced the depth. This had started in November when we saw the first tree coming down the bank towards us. Reported then to C&RT so was surprised that still at the end of July it had not been properly cleared, or maybe shouldn't have been surprised. 

17 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Got stuck a few days ago on this same tree and rock slip that had so reduced the depth. This had started in November when we saw the first tree coming down the bank towards us. Reported then to C&RT so was surprised that still at the end of July it had not been properly cleared, or maybe shouldn't have been surprised. 

But but but... That would mean preventive maintenance. By CRT

• Happy 1

My guess is that these are the rocks that were left on the towpath after the last slip was cleared back in February. Someone has come through there yesterday and gone "OMG Must ring CRT about this" and does so. Weekend staff at CRT call centre have gone "OMG. Must issue an alert about this" and do so (but only, it seems, on Twitter). Everyone goes into panic mode putting up posts on every facebook group and here on CWF as if the world is about to end when it isn't!

This is of course only my guess.

2 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

My guess is that these are the rocks that were left on the towpath after the last slip was cleared back in February. Someone has come through there yesterday and gone "OMG Must ring CRT about this" and does so. Weekend staff at CRT call centre have gone "OMG. Must issue an alert about this" and do so (but only, it seems, on Twitter). Everyone goes into panic mode putting up posts on every facebook group and here on CWF as if the world is about to end when it isn't!

This is of course only my guess.

If it was from the “Contactus” Twitter I’d agree but it was from CRT boating who should know better....maybe they had been in the pub given the hour of the tweet...personally I’d rather put it on here then have it proved wrong than not know about such things....

• Greenie 1