Water tank empty too soon

moiuk

Featured Posts

Just now, Tony Brooks said:

As Collingwood are a volume builder then if that is their standard practice I would expect a surveyor who knows canal boats to be aware to it by now and at least warn of the possibility. Very poor expertise in my view but undoubtedly fire proofed by get out clauses.

I would have to agree, and yes unlikely to be any comeback due to fire proof clauses.

I guess that widebeams are not as common, and the number of collingwoods each surveyor would look at is also small. Add to that I haven't fed back to him my findings, its not really that unexpected to me.  

Hopefully anybody reading this will have something to check for now if they are either buying a Collingwood or responsible for the survey..

Can't see how a surveyor could spot this as he'd have no idea of the original tank size, or how the bowthruster impinged on it. Surveyors are very keen to stress they don't look deeply into stuff, some for example won't take pictures off a wall to chevk for damp. If they can't see it, it aint there. Mostly, they're a waste of time and money.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Yes, generate more boats, generate more faults. Stands to reason.

Faults per boat !

Not necessarily. Quality control can reduce the number of faults and building larger numbers gives more experience of where faults can arise, and allow them to be 'designed' out.

When I was working with the Automotive industry I remember one of my customers had to buy parts in from Japan as they were specified by the OEM.

The customer specified on the order that they would accept 1 in 10,000 rejects and thought that was going to be impossible to achieve. When the shipment of 100,000 pieces arrived, there was a small package taped on the outside of the pallet, when it was opened it contained 10 parts and a note to say "reject parts as requested".

Back to Liverpool boats - rolling over a 60 foot long ,partly welded tube is going to lead to distortions and twisting - sure enough it did. 

It wouldn't matter if they made one or one thousand boats if the manufacturing process was faulty, then 'faulty' boats would be produced.