Thetford oven not sparking

Featured Posts

Got a boat with a brand new Thetford midi prima mk3. 

Has electric spark switch. 

Grill works completely fine. Gas is definitely going to the oven as I can light it by hand, but I cant see any spark coming from the oven. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 

9 minutes ago, madsunday said:

Ignore me I didnt properly clock the grill was sparking OK.

9 minutes ago, madsunday said:

Got a boat with a brand new Thetford midi prima mk3. 

Has electric spark switch. 

Grill works completely fine. Gas is definitely going to the oven as I can light it by hand, but I cant see any spark coming from the oven. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated 

Can you hear it 'clicking'? I know you said its a new oven, but if it clicks but doesnt light sometimes its just a bit of crud on the igniter that needs gently cleaning off.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

Too close is as bad as too far away.  Less energy in a small spark.

Remember propane sinks in air, the spark needs to be where the gas is mixing with air.

Try it with a neon screwdriver, it should light it up.

Loss of spark is often due to a crack in the pot candle or a trapped HV wire in the steelwork.

Check the electrode is plugged in to the spark gen box. 

If you are thinking the item with the brass nut is part of the electrode it’s not, that is the thermocouple to detect if flame goes out.

Try altering the position of the electrode with the screw holding the electrode to see if it works in a different position.

All gas ignition can be a pain at times, works one minute and not the next.

7 hours ago, madsunday said:

So it's definitely got power to it as its sparked off a part of the hardware, but hasn't sparked off the electrode its presumably meant to spark off

Which part of the hardware?

If the igniter is working for the grill, but not for the oven I would have thought the most likely cause is a wiring failure between the electronic ignition unit and the electrode in the oven. 

You probably need to remove the whole thing from its housing and look at the back where you should be able to see the spark generator, with 12V supply wires and insulated single HT wires leading to the grill and oven ignition electrodes.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If the igniter is working for the grill, but not for the oven I would have thought the most likely cause is a wiring failure between the electronic ignition unit and the electrode in the oven. 

One other possibility is that the grill igniter has been clonked and is too easy a path for the spark, preventing the oven sparking.

This is an easy check before dismantling the oven: stick some insulating material (plastic, wood, whatever) where it interrupts the grill spark and see if the oven sparks with it in place.

3 hours ago, madsunday said:

So its sparking down to the curved shiny bit near the "gas holes". But doesnt seem to be lighting the gas. 

Fun times!

The grill on my cooker was quite difficult to light.  The sparker would operate, but the gas wouldn't light properly and then only on one side.  To fix it hold the gas button down for several seconds before operating the sparker.  The resulting 'whuump' would then light the gas properly and ajust needed a  couple of seconds holding the gas button down while the thermocouple heated up.

IME the gas holes and connectors for the spark can quite easily get blocked up. The tric is to wash the removable bit in the sink and poke the holes clean with a pointed wooden stick.

some cookers have a battery used for the spark generator.

20 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

IME the gas holes and connectors for the spark can quite easily get blocked up. The tric is to wash the removable bit in the sink and poke the holes clean with a pointed wooden stick.

some cookers have a battery used for the spark generator.

That particular model utilises a 12v supply.