CRT / Bridgewater Canal Agreement

David Mack

Featured Posts

Recently the information has been put on the CaRT website and includes the following:-

Booking instructions (for boats based on the Bridgewater Canal wishing to access the Trust's waterways)

Booking instructions (for boats based on the Trust's Waterways wishing to access the Bridgewater Canal)

On 21/04/2021 at 19:49, ditchcrawler said:

What happens to you if you don't book and just go?

And what about those of us with no onboard internet? I'm just going to ignore it and stick to the time limit. The sign says you only need a permit if you are going to exceed.

16 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

Recently the information has been put on the CaRT website and includes the following:-

Booking instructions (for boats based on the Bridgewater Canal wishing to access the Trust's waterways)

Booking instructions (for boats based on the Trust's Waterways wishing to access the Bridgewater Canal)

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/43721-boaters-instructions-for-booking-a-passage-on-the-bridgewater-canal.pdf?v=ebc49c 

• 6 months later...
On 21/04/2021 at 16:03, Derek Porteous said:

When I booked a passage last week, the CRT booking system wouldn’t let me book on the day of entry, it had to be at least the day before.

The other point is the booking system wants an exit date (presumably to start a new 28 day clock running). This means planning and sticking to that plan, never mind the weather. You could, of course, just book 7 days even if you plan to do it in 2 or 3 days.

Yes, I don't understand why they can't let you book on the day, given its not as though it's limited capacity. Bit annoying if you're not sure what your plans are. 

• 5 months later...

Rather than reading five pages of this thread can I leapfrog forwards to ask……..

Do I need to register/book/pay to transverse the Bridgewater? If I do, where do I do?

Do I just plead ignorance and plough on regardless? A few years ago there was a nasty man (employee of Peel Holdings) who threw abuse at CRT boats. I wanted to meet him but failed miserable. Think he must have been hiding behind bushes or summat.

Anyway any true guidance is much appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Rather than reading five pages of this thread can I leapfrog forwards to ask……..

Do I need to register/book/pay to transverse the Bridgewater? If I do, where do I do?

Do I just plead ignorance and plough on regardless? A few years ago there was a nasty man (employee of Peel Holdings) who threw abuse at CRT boats. I wanted to meet him but failed miserable. Think he must have been hiding behind bushes or summat.

Anyway any true guidance is much appreciated.

Yes just go onto the CRT web site to the page where you book things and fill it in, easy. You need to do it at lest  the day before you enter the Bridgewater, no charge.
Booking your passage online | Boating | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Edited by ditchcrawler
I did it again

9 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes just go onto the CRT web site to the page where you book things and fill it in, easy. You need to do it at lest  the day before you enter the Bridgewater, no charge.
Booking your passage online | Boating | Canal & River Trust (canalrivertrust.org.uk)

Thank you. Done. I’m referred to as skipper, don’t tell the wife!!

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Seems odd to me that you book passage of the Bridgewater Canal on the CRT website, whereas the Bridgewater Canal website is entirely silent on the matter!

Do the Bridgewater  boats have to book passage on CRT water?

3 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

CaRT website, under my boat licence, bookings,book a passage.

Click on Bridgewater Passage and select travel on to a trust navigation.

Surly you have to log on to get to that page, how do boaters without a CRT account do that?

• 1 year later...
On 28/05/2022 at 18:36, ditchcrawler said:

....how do boaters without a CRT account do that?

Create one! (they are free)

On 28/05/2022 at 12:42, David Mack said:

Seems odd to me that you book passage of the Bridgewater Canal on the CRT website, whereas the Bridgewater Canal website is entirely silent on the matter!

Its a bit odd.. I guess CRT have the lions share of the boaters records, a much more capable website (if only because Peels for the Bridgewater is so bad) and there is some sort of Peel-CRT type agreement where one can check the other records?

On 06/12/2021 at 18:15, jonathanA said:

I'm sure most just ignore it 

I certainly do....

As in, if using the Bridgewater as a CRT boat you just boat onto it, through it, and off it again, within a reasonable time period, but without booking online. Just like we always used to?

I do somewhat wonder who is actually policing the whole thing, especially for boats which are not stopping.  

Just trying to get my head around the rules as part of planning the years boating, and also because a friend has been asking me about options for short term access to the Bridgewater for a trailerable boat.

It appears you are now allow 7 + 3 days per 28, rather than just the 7 days per 28 originally imposed in 2016.

Below image is lifted from a PDF on CRTs website, a link to which is available on the below page.

The text for section 2. (for boats based on the Bridgewater wishing to access the Trusts waterways) reads almost word for word the same.

CRTBridgewater.png.a9e4316275140878b4132dc62c407a3f.png

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/boating/go-boating/planning-your-boat-route/booking-your-passage-online

The Bridgewater site includes all of the licensing and mooring conditions etc to download, and an online form to make a payment, but as far as I can see, no information on what a long or short term license costs.

https://bridgewatercanal.co.uk/boating/pay-online/

1 hour ago, DHutch said:

Its a bit odd.. I guess CRT have the lions share of the boaters records, a much more capable website (if only because Peels for the Bridgewater is so bad) and there is some sort of Peel-CRT type agreement where one can check the other records?

On 06/12/2021 at 18:15, jonathanA said:

I'm sure most just ignore it 

I certainly do....

As in, if using the Bridgewater as a CRT boat you just boat onto it, through it, and off it again, within a reasonable time period, but without booking online. Just like we always used to?

I do somewhat wonder who is actually policing the whole thing, especially for boats which are not stopping.  

yes -  I've never been challenged or had any problem, there used to be the chap -'sonny' who had a reputation for demanding payment/being stroppy, never met him, I always took (and still do)  the view that if 'sonny' or someone turned up and wanted payment I would be happy to pay on them sending me an invoice and clearly stating what and why the payment was needed. 

since the online booking system seems very simple i will probably do it next time, probably just as i'm passing Leigh... 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

yes -  I've never been challenged or had any problem, there used to be the chap -'sonny' who had a reputation for demanding payment/being stroppy, never met him, I always took (and still do)  the view that if 'sonny' or someone turned up and wanted payment I would be happy to pay on them sending me an invoice and clearly stating what and why the payment was needed. 

since the online booking system seems very simple i will probably do it next time, probably just as i'm passing Leigh... 

On you way on or off the Bridgewater 😀. I don't think you can make a booking for that day for some reason

2 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I have met him, he introduced him self showing me his ID and telling me who he was, he was a complete gentleman and offered helpful advice even giving me his phone number should I have problems, but then I wasn't taking the pee or being confrontational. It wasn't what I expected. 

If you book on line you have 7 days for your outward journey + 3 days for your return if coming back within the month, you can even book it so you have 10 days continuous  

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have met him, he introduced him self showing me his ID and telling me who he was, he was a complete gentleman and offered helpful advice even giving me his phone number should I have problems, but then I wasn't taking the pee or being confrontational. It wasn't what I expected. 

Seconded, I only met him once (in Castlefield basin). I was aware of his reputation so I too, was surprised.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you book on line you have 7 days for your outward journey + 3 days for your return if coming back within the month, you can even book it so you have 10 days continuous  

i suspect, as with most things in life if you adopt a reasonable approach and are willing to listen then confrontation can be avoided,  doubtless some of those reporting run-ins with sonny were from the piss takers or 'entitled' mobs.   

as a point of interest were you asked to pay anything and did you  ?