CRT / Bridgewater Canal Agreement

David Mack

Featured Posts

22 hours ago, David Mack said:

By getting it written into the Act of Parliament that authorises the newcomer.

I suspect that the main motivation is that the existing canal wished to prevent the newcomer from taking water from them. Hence, in many cases, the mechanism is a stop lock which ensures that little water flows anyway. (The newcomer does not want to be a free provider to the older canal) 

If I understand it correctly, the stop lock at the bottom end of the Macc used to be two locks, one owned by each of the two companies as neither trusted the other not to cheat!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Given the way you have addressed me in other threads, or indeed the adopted tone of your post in this one, why did you expect anything different. ?

I didn't.... but, whatever the tone, it was a valid question from someone without the required knowledge of canal history, so there might be others who are interested. 

Anyway... no big deal. 

12 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I suspect that the main motivation is that the existing canal wished to prevent the newcomer from taking water from them. Hence, in many cases, the mechanism is a stop lock which ensures that little water flows anyway. (The newcomer does not want to be a free provider to the older canal) 

If I understand it correctly, the stop lock at the bottom end of the Macc used to be two locks, one owned by each of the two companies as neither trusted the other not to cheat!

I believe Hall Green stop lock had two sets of gates because the T&M summit level could be somewhat variable, so that if the (newer) Macc was higher it would feed the (older) T&M, and if the T&M was higher most of the water would go down the T&M flights and not onto the Macc.

• Greenie 1

Has anyone heard anything about this, such as how to book online? It's supposed to be starting in September, and I can't see anything at all about it on the BW website.  CRT seem to have stopped sending me notifications, for some reason, so i may have missed something...

An article in the Waterways World that has just come out states that the bookings will be handled by CRT using the same system as for booking Anderton Lift, Standedge Tunnel etc. I have used the online booking before for Standedge, reasonably straightforward, I do not know if there is a parallel phone booking system.

1 hour ago, PeterF said:

An article in the Waterways World that has just come out states that the bookings will be handled by CRT using the same system as for booking Anderton Lift, Standedge Tunnel etc. I have used the online booking before for Standedge, reasonably straightforward, I do not know if there is a parallel phone booking system.

Nothing on the online version yet:

Untitled.png.121231cd3ca9810303ef8865e4d535f6.png

I can understand CRT running the system for Bridgewater boats coming on their water, but why on earth should they run it for us going on the BW? Why should I use a CRT site to help Peel make my life more difficult?

ETA it looks like they haven't even got the Harecastle on there yet, either!

Edited by Arthur Marshall

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I hope they never put it on there and we get back to turn up and go

Seconded.

And with the attitude that the tunnel keepers had towards bookings via email,  I don't think it will be too much longer before normality resumes.

Fingers crossed.

On 24/08/2020 at 21:22, Arthur Marshall said:

I can understand CRT running the system for Bridgewater boats coming on their water, but why on earth should they run it for us going on the BW

Because the alternative would involve Peel putting their hand in their pocket?

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Still no information about the new system which was due to start on the 1st September 2020.

Searches on both websites draw a blank and as far as I am aware there was nothing in Damians latest newsletter.

Does anyone have any updates that I may have missed.

None here. 

What we need is clarity, guidance, like everything else.

How about a protest cruise to Harecastle and force passage under the navigation act?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

None here. 

What we need is clarity, guidance, like everything else.

How about a protest cruise to Harecastle and force passage under the navigation act?

Does that apply to ditchy stuff??

(I thought that was for rivers...

1 hour ago, Pie Eater said:

Still no information about the new system which was due to start on the 1st September 2020.

Searches on both websites draw a blank and as far as I am aware there was nothing in Damians latest newsletter.

Does anyone have any updates that I may have missed.

The level of over-promising and under-delivering is positively Johnsonian.

Whilst  looking for the same thing, I found the stoppages page on the Bridgewater website which has not been updated since 2019.

MP.

57 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

Whilst  looking for the same thing, I found the stoppages page on the Bridgewater website which has not been updated since 2019.

MP.

I fell for that one too when I was trying to find info on the Barton Aquaduct closure earlier this year. Its all on the News page..

I lived on my boat and worked on the Bridgewater for over 15 years. I used to buy my Bridgewater licence and they offered me a discounted CRT licence - so I was resitered for both canals  with no problems of cruising when and where i wanted to go. Sad that Peel Holdings are making it more difficult -they don't want the bother of boats. But how short sited - you have miles of water there and on the ship canal - you could make a profit by building more marinas - thye make a profit.

regards to you all I am retired off the canal now

• 3 months later...

I just went on the Bridgewater Canal website.  it says:

"Information for Canal & River Trust Licence Holders visiting the Bridgewater Canal

All C&RT craft are subject to the terms and conditions of the Bridgewater Canal whilst they remain on our waterway.

C&RT licence holders may remain on the Bridgewater Canal for periods not exceeding seven consecutive days.

C&RT craft wishing to extend beyond the 7 day reciprocal arrangement period must obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal Licence at a cost of £40 for 7 consecutive days. If you wish to obtain a temporary short term Bridgewater Canal licence please contact the Bridgewater Canal Company"

Nothing there about applying for anything up to 7 days, and nothing about leaving the canal and coming back.  I was planning to spend a week on the Bridgewater from Preston Brook, then go through Dukes Lock in Manchester and spend a week there, on CRT moorings.  Then reverse back out the lock and head back onto the Bridgewater towards Wigan for a couple of nights more.  I can't find anything saying I can't do this.  Am I right?

They originally said no return within a month. They don't seem to update the website very often. CRT have said they are putting access to the BW onto their online booking stuff, but maybe that's just for BW boats wanting access to CRT water.

I asked a year or so ago if anyone had had any experience of being fined or charged and got no response so presume not. 

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

They originally said no return within a month. They don't seem to update the website very often. CRT have said they are putting access to the BW onto their online booking stuff, but maybe that's just for BW boats wanting access to CRT water.

I asked a year or so ago if anyone had had any experience of being fined or charged and got no response so presume not. 

There's nothing on the CRT booking site.  So it looks like I get to Preston Brook and just cruise onto the Bridgewater.

9 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's nothing on the CRT booking site.  So it looks like I get to Preston Brook and just cruise onto the Bridgewater.

I think one should simply cruise on the Bridgewater if it is part of your schedule,and if challenged plead ignorance/insanity/dementia!

24 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I think one should simply cruise on the Bridgewater if it is part of your schedule,and if challenged plead ignorance/insanity/dementia!

What are you insinuating there Harold?

I'd show them their own website maybe.  It does seems since this thread was started last summer, and the website indicates that you could make repeated 7 days cruises on the Bridgewater with a night on CRT water in between.

37 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

What are you insinuating there Harold?

I'd show them their own website maybe.  It does seems since this thread was started last summer, and the website indicates that you could make repeated 7 days cruises on the Bridgewater with a night on CRT water in between.

Not suggesting you are anything but normal,but in the absence of current information you can only use the old information that is available.

If challenged then yes, show their website.

Have cruised from Preston Brook to Castlefield a couple of years ago and have to say I found it a quite an uninspiring stretch of canal,the only good point was the fact that it was a 20 mile trip without any locks.

On 31/07/2020 at 19:51, David Mack said:

Two or three years ago the Bridgewater Canal Co introduced stricter rules for craft based on CRT waters visiting the Bridgewater Canal, including a 7 day maximum, no return within 28 days rule, which caused some difficulties, particularly for those visiting Liverpool and for hire boats on the Cheshire Ring. I know CRT were particularly incensed by the Bridgewater's unilateral action.

It seems that heads have now been knocked together, and that a more sensible compromise has been reached.

"Agreement with Bridgewater Canal Company (BCC) brings benefits for boaters

An agreement has been reached between Bridgewater Canal Company and the Canal & River Trust, effective from 1 September 2020, that gives licence holders for each organisation permission to cruise between Trust waterways and the Bridgewater Canal.

Boaters are required to book online but can now spend up to seven days, travelling as far as they want, cruising away from their home navigation free of charge. If, during this time, you’ve ventured from those navigation authority’s waters, you’ll get a further three days to make the return journey to your home navigation.

Liverpool Waterfront Courtesy of Culture LiverpoolFor example, if you’re a Trust boat licence holder, and book to cruise on the Bridgewater, you can take a gentle seven day cruise to Liverpool and on to Trust waters and have an extended break there (observing mooring stay times of course!). Then you have three days to make your return journey to home waters, making sure you’re back no more than 28 days after you first cruised on to the Bridgewater.

You can revisit the other authority’s water again after a 28-day period.

Holiday hire boats, whichever waterway they are based on, will have unlimited access across both navigations.

Richard Parry, chief executive of the Trust, comments: “I am pleased that this reciprocal agreement with the Bridgewater Canal Company will give boaters easier, and more, access to the canals of the North West – regardless of which navigation authority they are licensed with. We look forward to welcoming boaters from the Bridgewater Canal on to our network.”

The booking of passage between the Trust waterways and Bridgewater Canal will allow both organisations to plan works and day-to-day repairs.

Look out for more details in the next couple editions of Boaters’ Up

This original post states that a new agreement was made and would be in force from the 1st September 2020 and that more details would be in the CaRT boaters update.

To date nothing has been seen on the websites or in boaters updates.