CRT / Bridgewater Canal Agreement

David Mack

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont think its worth complaining to CRT that Peel want you to register to go on their waters. 

But CRT are stating that this goes both ways, and BW boats will have to book to come on CRT waters.

Why this is an improvement we should be grateful for when for years we have been doing it freely with no hassle, baffles me.

12 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But CRT are stating that this goes both ways, and BW boats will have to book to come on CRT waters.

Why this is an improvement we should be grateful for when for years we have been doing it freely with no hassle, baffles me.

Surely most BW boaters are deemed to be booking when they purchase a CRT licence.

6 minutes ago, Pie Eater said:

Surely most BW boaters are deemed to be booking when they purchase a CRT licence.

Booking to me implies, as for say the Harecastle I want to go through at this time on this day, or if booking for a longer stay perhaps on a length of canal, I will be there from this date to that date.

Buying a licence to me at least says I would like to be able to be on the canal some time between these two dates but I might not (probably won't) be there all the time.

18 hours ago, Jerra said:

Its not a question of making them suffer.   If boaters don't want to have to book to use the BW the only way is to get CRT & BW to agree booking is unnecessary.    That won't happen if BW boaters don't have to book.  Either accept the booking system and don't complain or do something about it.

The only way I can see to do something about it is put pressure on Peel.   This will not happen unless BW boaters know how inconvenient booking is.   They can only know this if they have to use a booking system.

So either accept the situation without a murmur (you choice it seems) or find a way to get Peel to change their minds.

Can you suggest any other way?

Just do it,and if challenged,plead ignorance.

If just transiting,don't stop.

From Castlefield to Preston Brook it's 20 miles lock free.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Out of interest, don't CRT canals (and reservoirs) supply all the water to the Bridgewater? So we are in effect paying for the water already?

Massively so.  When we were on there in June, the Rochdale 9 was drained for maintenance and Barton tank jammed open for 25 hours.

Castlefield Basin was down a foot overnight, and when they managed to get the aqueduct back in position the levels were about 9" lower on the Manchester side so they couldn't open the water gates for ages.

I've often said I'd like to be in the tank when they swing it, but probably not for more than a day ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Massively so.  When we were on there in June, the Rochdale 9 was drained for maintenance and Barton tank jammed open for 25 hours.

Castlefield Basin was down a foot overnight, and when they managed to get the aqueduct back in position the levels were about 9" lower on the Manchester side so they couldn't open the water gates for ages.

I've often said I'd like to be in the tank when they swing it, but probably not for more than a day ...

is BCC paying for it or was this an arrangement established a long time ago and, in effect a right which they gained?

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

is BCC paying for it or was this an arrangement established a long time ago and, in effect a right which they gained?

It's hard to find out much about reservoirs (in relation to canals) at all. All the google hits just return stuff about carp fishing?.

I would expect the Bridgewater originally had its own reservoirs (although I know a lot of water came out of the mines at Worsley). But whether it still uses these or relies on CRT feed from Middlewich/Wigan/Rochdale I don't know....

3 hours ago, Dave123 said:

It's hard to find out much about reservoirs (in relation to canals) at all. All the google hits just return stuff about carp fishing?.

I would expect the Bridgewater originally had its own reservoirs (although I know a lot of water came out of the mines at Worsley). But whether it still uses these or relies on CRT feed from Middlewich/Wigan/Rochdale I don't know....

The mines still provide a lot of the water, you can tell by the colour of it from about Boothstown to Barton.

All the "spare" water from Poolstock bottom lock and Duke's Lock on the Rochdale feeds the Bridgewater.  In the case of the Rochdale, there is often so much water running over the gates it's difficult to open them - I have seen 6 or 7 inches flowing over the headgates.

We once needed 2 big blokes on offset long throw windlasses on the capstan on Duke's Lock to crack the tailgates the critical quarter inch to make a level.  It looked like Niagara Falls!

Sadly we don't have a picture, but here's the top of the Rochdale 9 on the same day.  By the time @Duck-n-Dive and I had dumped 8 more lockfulls of water down the nine it was even more impressive.

20170929_151243.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, frangar said:

Is sonny still the enforcement officer for the Bridgewater?? I understand he was quite an adept swimmer at one point because he was an arrogant person.....

His name was mentioned quite often a few years ago, mainly in connection with his assertive way of "enforcing", but I haven't heard it mentioned at all for some time.

My perception is that he hasn't been the enforcement officer for some time, but I don't know for sure.

Edited by Richard10002

Any pictures of him. I was asked to remove my mooring pin as it overhung from the grass verge into the towpath by a couple of inches. The end are painted in bright orange clear for everyone to see. Just told the guy that I wasn’t staying long. He came close to being told where to go. But the sun was shining and I had a cold beer in my hand.?

22 hours ago, frangar said:

Is sonny still the enforcement officer for the Bridgewater?? I understand he was quite an adept swimmer at one point because he was an arrogant person.....

I met him last year, most helpful and perfect gentleman, no complaints at all, He was probably dealing with people who's first objective in life is not complying with any regulation what soever

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I met him last year, most helpful and perfect gentleman, no complaints at all, He was probably dealing with people who's first objective in life is not complying with any regulation what soever

I think he might have been on a few customer care courses....I think he was peels wheelclamping charm school dept...

On 03/08/2020 at 14:25, Dave123 said:

Out of interest, don't CRT canals (and reservoirs) supply all the water to the Bridgewater? So we are in effect paying for the water already?

When building canals, the one that was there first, normally makes sure any newcomers supply them with water rather than the other way round.

I believe the Bridgewater was there first.

14 hours ago, furnessvale said:

When building canals, the one that was there first, normally makes sure any newcomers supply them with water rather than the other way round.

I believe the Bridgewater was there first.

If you are the first, how on earth do you get your water from newcomers - they dont exist?

Given that the newcomers are competitors of a kind, how do you "ensure" that they supply you?

27 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

If you are the first, how on earth do you get your water from newcomers - they dont exist?

That's not what he wrote.  He wrote "... makes sure any newcomers supply them with water..."  So if a newcomer comes along and wishes to connect to your canal then you ensure that they supply water, not abstract it.

34 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Given that the newcomers are competitors of a kind, how do you "ensure" that they supply you?

Your knowledge of canal history matches your knowledge in other areas.

• Horror 1