Of course its hire boat, there's a screw underneath.

Featured Posts

Damian has taken great delight this month in telling me I can use the Bridgewater canal after notifying for a limited period with only 3 days to return from say, liverpool. in a 28 day period. His blog gets crazier by the month.

None of this relates to hire boats, they have unlimited access to all canal waters of C&RT and Bridgewater for as long as they want.

So my boat will always belong to someone else and I've hired it.

Is Parry working for us or against us?

The spate of rotten woodwork failures are our fault because we have not been using the system,  what rubbish.

The Liverpool comment it a bit silly, it is only Bridgewater from Preston Brook to Leigh, that is an easy 2 day trip, ie you only need to stop one night on the Bridgewater in each direction.  What was the issue was the no return in 28 days.  We were lucky with out trip to the Lancaster in that 5th era was a month between the outbound and return so we were OK, but for many going to either the Lancaster or Liverpool that would not be the case, so this change fixes that.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Damian has taken great delight this month in telling me I can use the Bridgewater canal after notifying for a limited period with only 3 days to return from say, liverpool. in a 28 day period. His blog gets crazier by the month.

None of this relates to hire boats, they have unlimited access to all canal waters of C&RT and Bridgewater for as long as they want.

So my boat will always belong to someone else and I've hired it.

Is Parry working for us or against us?

The spate of rotten woodwork failures are our fault because we have not been using the system,  what rubbish.

Still a better deal than the Thames, we use to get a free trip on there

It's the having to book that I object to. That's the Harecastle (was turn up and go), the Anderton lift (was free if you turned up), now the BW. Be every manned lock soon - one holdup on the way to make you late and you're stuffed. You'll be spending half the day on the net panicking about getting confirmation of the booking and the rest of the trip stressed that you won't make it in time.

And that's assuming their computers work and won't try and charge you anyway so you spend the next week sorting that out. But luckily we all know that they never go wrong.

• Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's the having to book that I object to. That's the Harecastle (was turn up and go), the Anderton lift (was free if you turned up), now the BW. Be every manned lock soon - one holdup on the way to make you late and you're stuffed. You'll be spending half the day on the net panicking about getting confirmation of the booking and the rest of the trip stressed that you won't make it in time.

And that's assuming their computers work and won't try and charge you anyway so you spend the next week sorting that out. But luckily we all know that they never go wrong.

I didn't start boating years ago to have to cruise to appointments or deadlines and I refuse to do it now.

Its supposed to be a placid pleasure occupation, not an organised mad dash. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's the having to book that I object to. That's the Harecastle (was turn up and go), the Anderton lift (was free if you turned up), now the BW.

Has anybody yet asked CRT why the change to having to book and how long they expect it to last if it is Covid based?   The BW is beyond CRT control so no point asking them about that.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Has anybody yet asked CRT why the change to having to book and how long they expect it to last if it is Covid based?   The BW is beyond CRT control so no point asking them about that.

The Harecastle folk expect it to be permanent there, and I'm sure this will be.

51 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I didn't start boating years ago to have to cruise to appointments or deadlines and I refuse to do it now.

Its supposed to be a placid pleasure occupation, not an organised mad dash. 

Me neither. And it's being sold as an improvement?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The Harecastle folk expect it to be permanent there, and I'm sure this will be.

Me neither. And it's being sold as an improvement?

That is why my boat now will become a hire boat.

18 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Surly its Peel who are insisting on booking, CRT wont care if you visit the Bridgewater or when

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Surly its Peel who are insisting on booking, CRT wont care if you visit the Bridgewater or when

Be both. CRT are probably fed up with BW boats spending too long on their waters.  Once something gets regulated like this, sooner or later it gets charged for, usually on the grounds that they've made it so much more convenient for you. With a promise of course, thst it's only a nominal fee... Like the safety certificate...

How long till you have to book online visitor moorings in towns generally?

I'm quite glad I've only a few more years boating left in me. It's got less and less enjoyable over the past few years for a number of reasons and every trip now I contemplate packing it in. This one up the Llangollen might finish me off!

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Still a better deal than the Thames, we use to get a free trip on there

That must have been a very long time ago - and we've been boating for 30 years+

Anyway why should you get a free trip on Our Glorious River  - I have to pay throught the nose to cruise on your narrow navigation (!!)

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

Can't answer for Harecastle or the Bridgewater (although i'd be inclined to think that one is more Peel than CRT) but I suspect Anderton was because there is nobody in to run the 'walk up'  booking system while the offices and visitor centre are closed.

We'll have to wait and see what happens when they open up again.

8 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

How long till you have to book online visitor moorings in towns generally?

I said that when they brought in charges for Llangollen, never moored long enough to pay since

7 hours ago, OldGoat said:

That must have been a very long time ago - and we've been boating for 30 years+

Anyway why should you get a free trip on Our Glorious River  - I have to pay throught the nose to cruise on your narrow navigation (!!)

It was when we had a share boat so around 1990 at a guess, it was only the one year so don't know what was happening before that..