South Oxford Summit - Water Resources!

john6767

Featured Posts

Had an email from CRT saying water levels are now fine and no restrictions going over the summit....I didn't think it had rained that much and their latest report shows levels well down in the reservoirs there? I suppose they are saying this in anticipation of traffic dropping right off with autumn, rain and lockdown on the way?

36 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Had an email from CRT saying water levels are now fine and no restrictions going over the summit....I didn't think it had rained that much and their latest report shows levels well down in the reservoirs there? I suppose they are saying this in anticipation of traffic dropping right off with autumn, rain and lockdown on the way?

That is what I thought, but tomorrow and Saturday look like making a good contribution to water levels.

The levels between Banbury Lock and Grants Lock are desperately low.  Really low. We were moored adjacent to lift bridge 170 and were well and truely aground when we tried to set off. After a bit of toing and froing we got away. 

On 01/10/2020 at 19:05, Nightwatch said:

The levels between Banbury Lock and Grants Lock are desperately low.  Really low. We were moored adjacent to lift bridge 170 and were well and truely aground when we tried to set off. After a bit of toing and froing we got away. 

I passed your boat earlish in the morning and wondered how stuck you might have been. Must be one hell of a leak somewhere in Grants Lock as water was gushing through the top gate and yet the lock was virtually empty. 

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

I passed your boat earlish in the morning and wondered how stuck you might have been. Must be one hell of a leak somewhere in Grants Lock as water was gushing through the top gate and yet the lock was virtually empty. 

As we approached Grants Lock there were two CRT people, I male, I female. Walking away from the lock. Alledgedly they had fixed a dodgy paddle on the bottom gates.

No sign of level recovery as we turned at Twyford Wharf and went up Banbury Lock.

I get the impression a lot of this week's rain fell further east. The EA are still showing "no stream warnings" on the Thames down to Bell Weir lock i.e. a bit downstream of Windsor, but then yellow boards from there on to Teddington. And parts of the Wey are in flood. It rained quite a lot on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday here in Croydon.

But I think there was enough rain further west that CRT will be able to supply the South Oxford with water from here on?

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I get the impression a lot of this week's rain fell further east. The EA are still showing "no stream warnings" on the Thames down to Bell Weir lock i.e. a bit downstream of Windsor, but then yellow boards from there on to Teddington. And parts of the Wey are in flood. It rained quite a lot on Wednesday, Friday and Saturday here in Croydon.

But I think there was enough rain further west that CRT will be able to supply the South Oxford with water from here on?

It was showing no steam warnings earlier in the day on the Thames, but the level went up significantly today at Abingdon.  I think I am right in thinks that the ones that now have the stream warning are downstream of the Jubilee Rivers, ie sacrifice those downstream for Windsor, as my friend who live in Wreasbury says.

I think we are going to stay put tomorrow and then make a run for Oxford on Monday if the rain stops.

I would say that if you are on a river now, you should put long lines on, and just wait.....too late to escape!!

Avon is going up very quickly, Nene starting to rise, Soar will be quite tasty by the morning, even the Great Ouse should give me 3 early warning messages I reckons as it hasnt stopped around Milton Keynes for almost 36 hours now.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, matty40s said:

I would say that if you are on a river now, you should put long lines on, and just wait.....too late to escape!!

Avon is going up very quickly, Nene starting to rise, Soar will be quite tasty by the morning, even the Great Ouse should give me 3 early warning messages I reckons as it hasnt stopped around Milton Keynes for almost 36 hours now.

It’s on strong stream here now, and gone up a foot overnight, and the river is like a white water ride, so we will be going nowhere soon.  Still raining very heavily.  About 6 inches until the water is over the edge which is concerning. 

Lines were loose last night but slackened off more now.  There is a big Le Boat thing opposite us on the park that arrived last night, that was at 90 degrees to the river this morning, they have just managed to get it back in. They must have had the lines tight and it pulled one pin out of the ground.

I was just looking at the Bidford camera, it is right up the arrow sign on the far bank, and the mooring by the pub looks to be 3 feet under with only a couple of feet left on the poles.

More of the Thanes now on red, seems to be particularly bad around Oxford, but is that just going to work downstream.  Can’t afford the level to go up much more.

Thames at Abingdon has gone up another foot or so and is well over the edge now and on onto the grass.  The rate of raise does seem to have dropped, so fingers crossed.

Not seen anything from CRT about the Cherwell, presumably that is not passable.

Bizarrely the levels at Pinkhill have dropped significantly as the weirs have been opened. Sitting a foot out from the bank. I don't 'think' it's going up any further from this morning so we shouldn't go over the bank.??.

I suppose now is as good a time as any to start speculating about when red boards will come off? If no more significant rain (as forecast) I hope by middle of next week?