It's f@cking hot onboard today!

blackrose

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, peterboat said:

I think unless real measures are taken it's going to be the new norm, the science tells us that global disaster is around the corner but I think it's here already. If the virus was to remove 80% of the world's population the rest would be be safe, harsh I know but unavoidable I suspect 

I think you are right about it becoming the new normal, England's highest temperature (38.7 C/101.7F) was only a year ago (25th July 2019) so within the space of two years we have had the highest and third highest temperatures ever recorded in England. it is merely a matter of time before we hit 40C and above. 

As far as the virus wiping out 80% of the population, it would rather depend which 80% it took. If it left us in the First World (principal contributors to the problem) untouched it wouldn't really solve anything until such a time as we stop creating the pollution that is driving this.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think you are right about it becoming the new normal, England's highest temperature (38.7 C/101.7F) was only a year ago (25th July 2019) so within the space of two years we have had the highest and third highest temperatures ever recorded in England. it is merely a matter of time before we hit 40C and above. 

As far as the virus wiping out 80% of the population, it would rather depend which 80% it took. If it left us in the First World (principal contributors to the problem) untouched it wouldn't really solve anything until such a time as we stop creating the pollution that is driving this.

You are right the first world is the problem, and big oil will spend whatever it takes to keep us using it. I try with my electric boat and electric truck,. I am building up a small electric car for Jayne which all helps 

Unfortunately most people do think that global warming is someone else's fault, and not their range Rover and lifestyle to go with it 

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, peterboat said:

You are right the first world is the problem, and big oil will spend whatever it takes to keep us using it. I try with my electric boat and electric truck,. I am building up a small electric car for Jayne which all helps 

Unfortunately most people do think that global warming is someone else's fault, and not their range Rover and lifestyle to go with it 

That is true, 'look at all of the pollution put out by China,India, etc.etc' they will say, ignoring the fact that the pollution they are putting out is essentially what we have exported to them by getting them to produce the 'stuff' that we 'need'. It always seems to me to be a bit like traffic congestion, 'I'm not the cause of the congestion sitting here in my car, it's all these other people'.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The highest temperature will be topped next weekend...or following few days.

11 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I thought the forecast for the next few days was cooler. More than a week ahead and I've not got much faith in them.

Forecasting can be reasonably accurate a week or two ahead but for the last month all the major forecasting models have really struggled and even failed over 24 hours. Friday's hot day was clearly forecast the previous weekend and there is quite strong correlation between all the models today that we will get another 'plume' next weekend although some models are saying the heat won't disappear so quickly on this next one. (I read the same weather forecasting site as Matty?

4 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Forecasting can be reasonably accurate a week or two ahead but for the last month all the major forecasting models have really struggled and even failed over 24 hours. Friday's hot day was clearly forecast the previous weekend and there is quite strong correlation between all the models today that we will get another 'plume' next weekend although some models are saying the heat won't disappear so quickly on this next one. (I read the same weather forecasting site as Matty?

We noticed the same.

We have two covid legal outdoor family gatherings planned for Tuesday and Wednesday this week and whilst normally you get a reasonable idea 4 or 5 or even 7 days ahead we have now given up checking as its changed quite significantly each day.

On 31/07/2020 at 15:50, TheBiscuits said:

Bucket of water over the roof helps...

Till it pours in through the mushroom vents.......

Dont ask how I know this.

All the models now have 3-4 days of over 25°C - and many over 30°C in the SE of Ingerlund (Frid/Sat/Sun) but we will have to wait until 24-48hours to know about any precipitation. The models are good at predicting surface temperatures - but better at the 850hPa temps - ie the temps a bit up in the air where the pressure is 850hPa. See graph below. Just add 10-15°C to those numbers!!!!!:P

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 16.49.45.png

Edited by Dr Bob

The weather is easy to forecast. I am having a barby in a few minutes and by some miracle its not raining. We are away in our motorhome tomorrow so it will rain all day every day until we return. :( 

• Haha 1

On 02/08/2020 at 16:56, mrsmelly said:

The weather is easy to forecast. I am having a barby in a few minutes and by some miracle its not raining. We are away in our motorhome tomorrow so it will rain all day every day until we return. :( 

I need to go to Specsavers.  I was sure Mrs Melly said she was about to have a baby !    :o

21 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not so hot today. Just had to put a jacket on to take the dog for a walk!!

Rain is coming in horizontal here in Scotland where I am!! The Joy's of summer fingers crossed for this weekends cruise up tinsley flight 

Today's BBQ cancelled as we can't meet indoors due to bloody Covid.

I would have been happy to BBQ under a brolly and eat inside but the current rules prevent this.

Completely different to yesterday's forecast.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Rain is coming in horizontal here in Scotland where I am!! The Joy's of summer fingers crossed for this weekends cruise up tinsley flight 

We had a fair bit of rain earlier but it has dried up now. Still on the chillier side though which is nice because it has cooled our bedroom down to a much more comfortable temperature.

Looks to be hot at the weekend again though. Looking forward too a BBQ at Bardney this weekend.

18 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We had a fair bit of rain earlier but it has dried up now. Still on the chillier side though which is nice because it has cooled our bedroom down to a much more comfortable temperature.

Looks to be hot at the weekend again though. Looking forward too a BBQ at Bardney this weekend.

Going up tinsley flight with luck maybe a Bbq and a few drinks might happen 

20 hours ago, peterboat said:

Been back on the boat for almost 3 weeks now - we have had a total of 4 dry days and today is absolutely torrential but Thursday & Friday are looking warm & dry.

Had to slacken off all the mooring lines & springs at midnight because the water level increased by over 2 feet as all the water came down off the mountains.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Been back on the boat for almost 3 weeks now - we have had a total of 4 dry days and today is absolutely torrential but Thursday & Friday are looking warm & dry.

Had to slacken off all the mooring lines & springs at midnight because the water level increased by over 2 feet as all the water came down off the mountains.

West coast? Wales more than likely? I am hoping for a scorcher this weekend in Sheffield basin

We spoke to Liam's mum last night, she lives in Lugton west of Glasgow and she has said the same that is has done nothing but rain there for weeks and they currently have flood warnings for the beck across from their house.

We are having the opposite problem!

44 minutes ago, peterboat said:

West coast? Wales more than likely? I am hoping for a scorcher this weekend in Sheffield basin

Yes, we came back as soon as the 'Welsh 5 mile travel limit, and, staying overnight' were lifted - rained ever since !!

Its an old Slate loading Dock

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We spoke to Liam's mum last night, she lives in Lugton west of Glasgow and she has said the same that is has done nothing but rain there for weeks and they currently have flood warnings for the beck across from their house.

We are having the opposite problem!

Trying to gauge the weather this aft for the postponed BBQ from yesterday is just about impossible.

Accu weather, the met office and the BBC all give three different forecasts!

5 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Trying to gauge the weather this aft for the postponed BBQ from yesterday is just about impossible.

Accu weather, the met office and the BBC all give three different forecasts!

Whilst I was in Auchencairn it was the same, apart from when it said rain then every forecast was right!