Lock cottage fire

MHS

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Game, set and match to Ian! Thank you very much for putting me right.

It (Kings Sutton) also used to have a quince tree in the garden but I thought it had gone when we passed last year.

Grants Lock Cottage has no 'garden' at the front - it abuts right onto the operational lock side.

3 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

It (Kings Sutton) also used to have a quince tree in the garden but I thought it had gone when we passed last year.

Grants Lock Cottage has no 'garden' at the front - it abuts right onto the operational lock side.

That's right.

Bourton cottage used to have a pretty garden across the other side of the lock. It was tended by the old lady who lived there, who I think was the widow of a BW worker. There was also a working well from which she (or later her young female carer) drew water.

The well has been filled in but, in season, there are still vestiges of her flower garden. I've no idea how water reaches the house nowadays; by water I expect.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Grants lock has (or had) a sizeable garden to the rear, certainly large enough for a very well attended wedding party in the early 80's

getting vehicles there was a different matter though as it involved crossing several fields as there was no official vehicle access (the tracks were nice and straight from vehicles coming in and anything but straight from vehicles that left), I note that it now has an official access route

• Greenie 1

We used to deliver coal to Bourton lock. This poor photo is from 1975. She had a small cruiser that she used to go to Banbury for supplies. I went arse of tip carrying a bag of coal into the outbuilding as she had spilt paraffin on the floor. Think it was light by oil lamps.

85AA57F7-4547-4D15-A92E-0E3F2EF8B4A2.jpeg

• Greenie 1

I think you're published it befoe, but it's still a superb photo. Apart from its historical value, it shows what is still apparent: that the house appears to have been built in two halves. This must have been unusual, and I have no idea of the circumstances.

17 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

We used to deliver coal to Bourton lock. This poor photo is from 1975. She had a small cruiser that she used to go to Banbury for supplies. I went arse of tip carrying a bag of coal into the outbuilding as she had spilt paraffin on the floor. Think it was light by oil lamps.

85AA57F7-4547-4D15-A92E-0E3F2EF8B4A2.jpeg

In that lock is where I was first put right about going up in a lock. Put it against the top gate and stop reving that engine, there may have been a few other words in there. I had only hired 4 times before and was trying to keep a 60 foot boat in the middle of the lock going up.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I think you're published it befoe, but it's still a superb photo. Apart from its historical value, it shows what is still apparent: that the house appears to have been built in two halves. This must have been unusual, and I have no idea of the circumstances.

And quite substantially altered. That porch/front door is no longer there, replaced by a window. also the outside walls are covered in stucco, no longer brick visible. The chimney stack on the far outhouse has also been removed.