Lock cottage fire

MHS

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Please see my contribution to this sad state of affairs. Wasn’t always in this condition.

May i Refer you to my op regarding This reported incident. Rewritten as suggested by Stillearning.

• 7 months later...

Just been down, and up Grants Lock where the sad sight of the burnt out cottage is.

There seems to have been a lot of tidying up done. The gardens have been cut back so has the side ground around the bywash. Some of the interior has also had a bit of tidying.

I have searched online to ascertain whether For Sale or any other information that relates to the property. If I had the money I believe it to be an excellent project for someone. Road access as well. Could be a lovely home again. Hope it isn’t demolished.

40 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just been down, and up Grants Lock where the sad sight of the burnt out cottage is.

There seems to have been a lot of tidying up done. The gardens have been cut back so has the side ground around the bywash. Some of the interior has also had a bit of tidying.

I have searched online to ascertain whether For Sale or any other information that relates to the property. If I had the money I believe it to be an excellent project for someone. Road access as well. Could be a lovely home again. Hope it isn’t demolished.

This cottage looked sad and neglected for years. Then obviously a family moved in (toys in the garden), it was spruced up and looked like a proper home. Perhaps three years ago it was vandalised. I heard that the occupants clashed with some local people but I know no details. last time we went through, in 2019 I think, it was empty again.

That's a sad record of a disgraceful incident.

It's probably beyond economic repair now too, so I suppose it will be knocked down. I don't know whether it still belongs to CART or whether they sold it into private ownership.

Edited by Athy

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

You were getting a bit close, cant be doing with the likes of you in the area. Are you going back to Banbury?

The cottage could be repaired, as the walls seem sound in the last image, but then as noted is there a will to do it? There has been a gradual decline in such buildings as they ceased to have a canal role.

Somerton Lock Cottage is still occupied I gather, the owners there come and go by boat !

18 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The cottage could be repaired, as the walls seem sound in the last image, but then as noted is there a will to do it? There has been a gradual decline in such buildings as they ceased to have a canal role.

Somerton Lock Cottage is still occupied I gather, the owners there come and go by boat !

Do they? Then whose are the cars parked on the other side of the lock?

7 minutes ago, Athy said:

Do they? Then whose are the cars parked on the other side of the lock?

I dont think they have cars parked at Somerton lock old sport, Ive never seen any there as the farmer will not allow access over his land. When they moved in Mark on Dusty took their stuff up in his boat.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Heartland said:

Plenty of housing demand in Oxfordshire and it's in a pretty location on a green belt around a desirable town commutable to London. I don't think it would struggle for buyers if it was in a decent state of repair.

Edited by enigmatic

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont think they have cars parked at Somerton lock old sport, Ive never seen any there as the farmer will not allow access over his land. When they moved in Mark on Dusty took their stuff up in his boat.

And they had a little boat to get to town

• Greenie 1

I've not been that way for about 15 years but I seem to remember Grant's lock was rather close to the M40. Perhaps a suitable place for a deaf person to live. Or maybe one just gets used to the drone of the motorway. 

Nice enough house but I would never advocate living in a lock cottage. 

Boat is okay but lock cottage no thanks ! 

3 minutes ago, magnetman said:

I've not been that way for about 15 years but I seem to remember Grant's lock was rather close to the M40. Perhaps a suitable place for a deaf person to live. Or maybe one just gets used to the drone of the motorway. 

Nice enough house but I would never advocate living in a lock cottage. 

Boat is okay but lock cottage no thanks ! 

People shouting at each other and arguing, paddles rattling down at night, people peering in the windows, knocking on your door to tell you the gate wont open and as for watching how some people faf about when locking. No thanks.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

People shouting at each other and arguing, paddles rattling down at night, people peering in the windows, knocking on your door to tell you the gate wont open and as for watching how some people faf about when locking. No thanks.

The same thought crossed my mind. Some are set a bit further back and even have small front gardens to discourage that but I wouldnt fancy that one as nice as it could be made.

14 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I must have remembered it wrongly then. I recall that across the lock was a barn or workshop, with what looks like the old Somerton railway station sign mounted on its wall. 

A bit further up, Bourton lock has no road access. It was bought a few years ago by the couple on 'Scyffe' and they have carried out some restoration, but I don't think they've moved in yet.

Edited by Athy

47 minutes ago, Athy said:

I must have remembered it wrongly then. I recall that across the lock was a barn or workshop, with what looks like the old Somerton railway station sign mounted on its wall. 

That’s Kings Sutton Lock

https://canalplan.org.uk/place/39ea

Edited by IanM
  • Greenie 2