Crowthers has definitely closed!

frangar

Featured Posts

Further to the other thread that suggested Crowthers had closed....

This statement has just appeared on Crowther Marines Facebook page....a very sad day indeed....I always found them a top company to deal with and they produced an excellent product with fantastic customer service.

"It is with sadness we announce the closure of our family business.
We Thank You all for supporting us over the years, many of you have become friends and will be missed.
Moving forward we recommend Clements Engineering for your propeller and stern gear requirements.

Bon Voyage 

Keith  and  Amanda"

Edited by frangar
  • Sad 3

Mel Davis, who built Trojan, fitted a Crowther prop and told us "They've never got one wrong yet". I wonder how a firm with such an excellent reputation could go to the wall.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Mel Davis, who built Trojan, fitted a Crowther prop and told us "They've never got one wrong yet". I wonder how a firm with such an excellent reputation could go to the wall.

Family matters I guess.

Just now, Athy said:

Sadly it doesn't take much in this day and age....I was at their premises is march sorting out a new tailshaft & bearing etc to fit the prop they supplied 10 years ago and nothing was too much trouble including all my stupid questions....maybe their product was so good they didnt need to supply many new ones unlike some other companies....and so many new boat owners don't seem to want to pay for quality and just go for the cheapest option. 

Such a shame that another British family-run engineering firm widely known for the excellence of its products and services has to close. Could be for personal reasons, or could be that so many people nowadays want the cheapest possible product regardless of quality... ?

[the British comment is nothing to do with jingoism or Brexit, it's just that this is exactly the kind of business that is valued (and supported) in countries like Germany but not here]

That's really sad, the loss of a great service.

We've just had Joel's sterngear overhauled at Crowther's, they supplied it new, with refurbished prop over thirty years ago, it has survived a lot of rubbish and junk  from the bottom of the canal in that time,  a testimony to quality.

A little story; I was at Crowther's some years ago when a guy came in carrying a damaged prop. He arrived by taxi from Manchester Airport, having flown in  specially from somewhere in the Med.. His boat had gone on rocks and bent the blades.   Keith was on it straightaway  and it was fixed, I think same day or day after , brilliant!

Thank you Keith & Amanda and best wishes for the future.

Can I echo everything that has been said above. It's all true in my experience and my very best wishes to Keith and Amanda for the future and big thank you for consistently providing such excellent service and reliable quality products and advice. It's a very sad day indeed for boaters the world over.

1 hour ago, Cheshire cat said:

Had excellent service from them when I needed it. Was considering having my prop re-pitched by them next month. Thanks for the memory.

Try Noris in Isleworth if you're still considering having it done. I got mine repitched there and they were very good to deal with and did a good job.

9 minutes ago, Halsey said:

lets hope so - shame there wasn't anyone in the wings to take over.................

Unfortunately it happens all the time, the younger generation want an easier life than working and getting their hands dirty. Been there, had to close a profitable firm to retire.

Its a sad reflection on our society.

• Greenie 2
  • Angry 1

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Unfortunately it happens all the time, the younger generation want an easier life than working and getting their hands dirty. Been there, had to close a profitable firm to retire.

Its a sad reflection on our society.

<rant on> Too much dummed down university education telling them book learning is the be all and end all with virtually nothing about the satisfaction of having the knowledge and ability to do a job well. That and what all too often looks like the world owes me a living. No value is placed on good practical skills. <rant off>

• Greenie 1

40 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I got the impression it was retirement rather than "going to the wall"

If so its a great shame it couldn't be sold as going concern given the reputation...nothing about closing was mentioned when I was up there in March

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

Try Noris in Isleworth if you're still considering having it done. I got mine repitched there and they were very good to deal with and did a good job.

Another vote for T.Norris - a reassuringly old fashioned company.

Very pleased with their workmanship last year reducing the pitch of our prop.

I’ve used Clements Engineering twice recently and fully recommend them for new propellers . Also you can have one free re-pitch if feel the original build pitch needs adjustment .

if it’s a repair you need or a prop resizing or re-pitch then Woodward’s of Hull are an excellent company to use.

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, frangar said:

Sadly it doesn't take much in this day and age....I was at their premises is march sorting out a new tailshaft & bearing etc to fit the prop they supplied 10 years ago and nothing was too much trouble including all my stupid questions....maybe their product was so good they didnt need to supply many new ones unlike some other companies....and so many new boat owners don't seem to want to pay for quality and just go for the cheapest option. 

Precisely why dross like Wetherspoons will survive and some quality pubs will go down the pan.