Dripping stern gland

Featured Posts

New boat, 35 hrs on engine. There’s a drip about every 10 seconds from the stern gland. Putting more grease in via the plunger reduces it slightly. I have read previous posts re tightening the nut on the gland, did that for 1/4 of a turn made no difference. Think I have to tighten it further but how far? Till it stops? Wanted to get advice before I plough on with my spanner. Does it do any damage with water dripping through it? 

what happens it I over tighten?

see photo

many tx

87E338CD-DE47-418F-8648-B0D68A48DAEA.jpeg

This is common on new fittings. Tighten each side a quarter turn equally until you can just turn the shaft by hand. There is no problem with having an occasional drip, say one a minute when stationary, although if correctly tightened and greased you probably won’t have drips. So long as you can still turn the shaft by hand you won’t have over tightened it, but yes you can over tighten and it could cause excessive wear on the shaft.

edited to add....I would actually do it in smaller stages and use each flat edge of the nuts as a gauge to make sure it is tightened equally. So do one flat per time and see how you go.

Edited by Phil.

16 minutes ago, umpire111 said:

I have read previous posts re tightening the nut on the gland, did that for 1/4 of a turn made no difference. Think I have to tighten it f..

You keep referring to it as singular.  There are 2 nuts that should normally be tightened equally as above. Are you adjusting the right thing(s)?

8 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

You keep referring to it as singular.  There are 2 nuts that should normally be tightened equally as above. Are you adjusting the right thing(s)?

Pusher doesn't look even now.

There seems to be precious little room left for tightening, compressing the packing. and a lot of thread showing in front of the nuts'

I doubt there is enough gland packing to start with.

TD'

Perhaps I've been in boating too long - it was always the perceived wisdom that the 'occasional' drip was A GOOD THING - that indicated there was no blockage in the system which could lead to premature wearing of the whole bearing.

If there's room a suitably modified milk bottle -or what passes for one nowadays that can be emptied periodically.

If as Umpire 111  now writes that there's no adjustment left, the repack it dear Umpire 111, repack it. It's not difficult - just uncomfortable.

(with apologies to Tracy for mis attribution...)

Achsully - on looking at the original photo - the sterngland is not of the 'normal large lump of brass type - so I'm confused....

Edited by OldGoat

9 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Perhaps I've been in boating too long - it was always the perceived wisdom that the 'occasional' drip was A GOOD THING - that indicated there was no blockage in the system which could lead to premature wearing of the whole bearing.

If there's room a suitably modified milk bottle -or what passes for one nowadays that can be emptied periodically.

If as Tracy now writes that there's no adjustment left, the repack it dear Tracy, repack it. It's not difficult - just uncomfortable.

I'm not a big drip!  Its nowt to do wi me! Not me mister!

Just look at the photo that's all I did.

That's now 3 problems the OP has posted with a brand new boat. The toilet (which turned into a water pump and PRV issue), the water/oil in engine bilge and now the stern gland.

Why on earth doesnt the OP ring up Colecraft and get them to sort it? It is a brand new boat (upwards of £100,000!). We have just bought one from Aqualine and I expect them to sort problems especially a drip every 10 secs from a stern gland that looks like it has no packing. If the OP tries to do any changes by himself ...ie new water pump because of a toilet issue, or changing the packing on a stern gland, then he could risk loosing the warranty on those bits.

Colecraft are one of the best builders and will certainly sort out your teething issues. Get Colecraft to come out and sort out the stern gland. Rain into the engine bilge might be worth mentioning to them if a few of the drains have been blocked during manufacture....some boat builders have been known to accidentally fill drain holes with filler and paint during the build process!

• Greenie 3

37 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

That's now 3 problems the OP has posted with a brand new boat. The toilet (which turned into a water pump and PRV issue), the water/oil in engine bilge and now the stern gland.

Why on earth doesnt the OP ring up Colecraft and get them to sort it? It is a brand new boat (upwards of £100,000!). We have just bought one from Aqualine and I expect them to sort problems especially a drip every 10 secs from a stern gland that looks like it has no packing. If the OP tries to do any changes by himself ...ie new water pump because of a toilet issue, or changing the packing on a stern gland, then he could risk loosing the warranty on those bits.

Colecraft are one of the best builders and will certainly sort out your teething issues. Get Colecraft to come out and sort out the stern gland. Rain into the engine bilge might be worth mentioning to them if a few of the drains have been blocked during manufacture....some boat builders have been known to accidentally fill drain holes with filler and paint during the build process!

Yep, I’ll call Colecraft

• Greenie 1

Jus tto pickup on this as the OP looks like they may be sorting it..... I have a small margarine tub under mine and this fills after about 4 hours cruising. If I tighten the greaser its fine until the next time...... is it time i tighten my nuts or is this acceptable??  :)

On 31/07/2020 at 21:12, ditchcrawler said:

I have no idea where the PRV outlet terminates, it was just a possibility

Best to take the PRV outlet through a skin fitting.  Not a big deal normally if an expansion tank is fitted, but makes a big difference if the valve sticks open.

50 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Jus tto pickup on this as the OP looks like they may be sorting it..... I have a small margarine tub under mine and this fills after about 4 hours cruising. If I tighten the greaser its fine until the next time...... is it time i tighten my nuts or is this acceptable??  :)

I would suggest either the packing is very old or, more likely, it could do with tightening slightly. I to 2 drips a minute should not fill a small tub in 4 hours.

• Greenie 1