Imaginative boat names

Heartland

Featured Posts

• 4 weeks later...

Some time ago at Anderton, I  noted Silver Jubilee with a 1992 BW plate. Does anybody know if BW built it? Or if the plate was fixed for another reason.

In the distance is Taygeta. 

338401.jpg

Edited by Heartland

5 hours ago, Heartland said:

Some time ago at Anderton, I  noted Silver Jubilee with a 1992 BW plate. Does anybody know if BW built it? Or if the plate was fixed for another reason.

338401.jpg

Me thinks a lock gate may have been involved somewhere

10 hours ago, Heartland said:

338401.jpg

Point of information, m'lud... the Queen's silver jubilee was 1977. I wasn't aware of any formal celebrations of the ruby jubilee in 1992.

• 1 year later...
43 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I have previously posted this photo of the boat a (mixed!) group of us hired from Bushnells of Maidenhead in 1972:  how the meaning of words changes! 

Lovely looking boat. In the 70s there was also a comic strip called "Danny's Tranny" in the Topper. It was all about his magic transistor radio.

• 4 months later...
On 03/08/2020 at 22:11, magnetman said:

To be fair there is a long established history of boat names being spelled incorrectly. It happened a few times with the old work boats. For example funny cafe names uk "Bilster" which is a town class H&W boat and was meant to be called "Bilston". 

So it could be someone keeping old traditions alive. I quite like "papyon". 

I've got two boats with French names myself. "LA POUBELLE" and "LAISSE LES DIRE"

I like French names. 

Our name was not chosen merely because it sounded good; rather, there is a reason why it was chosen. And we take pleasure in sharing the tale with everybody who asks mistakenly!

On 04/11/2022 at 13:12, BlossomCressida said:

Our name was not chosen merely because it sounded good; rather, there is a reason why it was chosen. And we take pleasure in sharing the tale with everybody who asks mistakenly!

Dittto

Ours relates to a poet.