Imaginative boat names

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 31/07/2020 at 11:31, Machpoint005 said:

If you have a boat with a terrible punning name, doesn't the joke wear too thin sooner or later?

Yes, usually sooner...

Although I used to see a grp cruiser called Shellfish Beach on the Thames which made me smile. I liked to think the boat was bought out of his divorce settlement.

Edited by blackrose

13 hours ago, magnetman said:

I've got two boats with French names myself. "LA POUBELLE" and "LAISSE LES DIRE"

I like French names. 

So do I, but I must be slow this morning. "La Poubelle", the dustbin, I can see, but "Les-les Dire", let them say - is there a joke which I've missed?

An interesting aspect of "poubelle" is that it's named after M. Poubelle, the chap who introduced dustbin collections in Paris. I assume that his descendants still walk this earth, rejoicing in the surname "Dustbin". 

I've tried to think of an English equivalent, and belisha beacons come to mind. Thank goodness they didn't adopt the other part of Mr. Belisha's surname.

20 hours ago, Loddon said:

Something like 20 years ago there used to be a brown painted boat called:

Morning Flatulence

The founder of Ownerships had a brown boat called "Ship Happens".

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont find it that funny when people call out "what's the question" something I didnt consider when I named the boat.  

Ah, so no one else thought that it was 'Hamster'.

15 hours ago, David Mack said:

Somewhere I have a photo, but not on this phone:

Moose Drool Built by Db Boat Fitting - Length : 21.34 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam : 3.81 metres ( 12 feet 6 inches ) - Draft : 0.76 metres ( 2 feet 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A power of 93 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 512343 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Moose Drool is an American beer brewed in Montana so the owners could be American or just liked the name.

5 minutes ago, Skeg said:

Moose Drool is an American beer brewed in Montana so the owners could be American or just liked the name.

I don't think I'd care to sample a drink called Moose Drool. For sheer unpalatability, the name rivals that given to the vin ordinaire sold by a Calais off-licence: Frog's Piss.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

I don't think I'd care to sample a drink called Moose Drool. For sheer unpalatability, the name rivals that given to the vin ordinaire sold by a Calais off-licence: Frog's Piss.

Perhaps #2's are more your thing? 

5347915147_63a3ddb450_b.jpg.71801c7e475eefb022dd36aa85e3c873.jpg

26 minutes ago, Athy said:

What ever happened to proper names for beers, like Crudgingtons Gold Medal Bitter?

9 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

What ever happened to proper names for beers, like Crudgingtons Gold Medal Bitter?

They realised there was a far bigger market than just old blokes. 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

I haven't heard of them. Are they a British brewery?

Another American one, which is probably why they called it 'Soft Dookie' rather than 'Squidgy Poop' if it had been British. 

9 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Another American one, which is probably why they called it 'Soft Dookie' rather than 'Squidgy Poop' if it had been British. 

Er, quite so.

You've lost me but I'm sure you're right.:blink:

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Er, quite so.

You've lost me but I'm sure you're right.:blink:

dookie US, slang, African-American Vernacular

noun

• feces.
    Don't step in that dookie!
    Obama's economic policies are equivalent to dookie.
Edited by Rumsky

15 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Ah, a Keg Buster reference!

Shipstones used to be a wonderfully bitter beer, a lost favourite.

(Even though it is an anagram of honest piss!)

:cheers:

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Greenie 1

On 02/08/2020 at 09:58, Marc Hartley said:

In 2013 we passed a boat, called Snowgoose. It had a French quotation under the name -

"A l'eau c'est l'heure".

The story goes that before the battle of Trafalgar, as was customary, the French admiral was boated over to speak to Nelson aboard The Victory, gentleman to gentleman, before the battle. As he left, he said this phrase, as was often used in the French navy, in effect meaning "The hour has come - to the water!".

There was no meeting of admirals before the battle of Trafalgar.  

The French fleet was spotted at 6am some distance away in a line sailing off the Cape  The order was given to prepare for Battle but it was not until 11:45 that the famous signal was flown "England expects..."    The British fleet came from the west and aimed to sail through the fleet at right angles "crossing the T" to split the enemy in two and prevent the French ships from bearing full broadside while firing theirs . Nelson's plan against convention was to engage across the enemy fleet in two columns one his and the other led by Collingwood (who fired the first British shot in reply to French guns from the Fougueux) to split the Franco-Spanish fleet in to 3 portions. The French Admiral gave the order to engage at 11:50.  The winds were light and the British ships moved towards the French fleet at around 3knots.  The Crews had a long time to contemplate what was about to happen, the tension must have been incredible.  The Battle was finally over at around 17:30, Nelson dying about an hour earlier from the wounds received at about 13:15.

2 hours ago, churchward said:

There was no meeting of admirals before the battle of Trafalgar.  

The French fleet was spotted at 6am some distance away in a line sailing off the Cape  The order was given to prepare for Battle but it was not until 11:45 that the famous signal was flown "England expects..."    The British fleet came from the west and aimed to sail through the fleet at right angles "crossing the T" to split the enemy in two and prevent the French ships from bearing full broadside while firing theirs . Nelson's plan against convention was to engage across the enemy fleet in two columns one his and the other led by Collingwood (who fired the first British shot in reply to French guns from the Fougueux) to split the Franco-Spanish fleet in to 3 portions. The French Admiral gave the order to engage at 11:50.  The winds were light and the British ships moved towards the French fleet at around 3knots.  The Crews had a long time to contemplate what was about to happen, the tension must have been incredible.  The Battle was finally over at around 17:30, Nelson dying about an hour earlier from the wounds received at about 13:15.