Imaginative boat names

Heartland

Featured Posts

52 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

Amber Lynn. Never seen one, but I like the sound of it, and appears there's 2 listed in canalplan. 

Amber Lynn made some colourful films in the 1980s. I wonder if the boat owners knew??

18 minutes ago, smiler said:

Amber Lynn made some colourful films in the 1980s. I wonder if the boat owners knew??

I thought most films were colourful by the 80's?

We liked the small Norman cruiser we met sometime in the late eighties in Macclesfield, it had it's own external bar in the cockpit complete with bottles on optics. "Pobody's Nerfect", and I seem to remember an old Dawncraft seen at Middlewich. "Cirrhosis of the River"

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

I like collecting examples of pretentious Latin names - especially when they are incorrect.  I saw another ungrammatical example  last week:  "Magnus Pedis" :)

Romanes eunt domus ?

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This years cruise. First they went to Leicester, then they went to Manchester. Where to next? ?

Looks like they have been on the Leeds and Liverpool from East Lands to West Yorkshire. ?

On 30/07/2020 at 23:02, David Schweizer said:

The original name of our boat was very similar :-

02.jpg.2f9aa711a083304e56f65e3c8d3ec9f7.jpg

Since then it has been renamed twice, firstly to "Napton" around 1990 and then to Helvetia in 1997 by us. The new owners have chosen to keep the name.

The Tendimus Society was the social club for Union Castle (subsequently British & Commonwealth) crew

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

The Tendimus Society was the social club for Union Castle (subsequently British & Commonwealth) crew

That's interesting.  I knew it was the Social club for a Shipping Company, but I thought it was Kayser Shipping, and that they were dissolved arround 1990 when the boat was sold back to Braunston Boats.  Maybe IKeysers were part of British and Commonwealth.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just now, David Schweizer said:

That's interesting.  I knew it was the Social club for a Shipping Company, but I thought it was Kayser Shipping, maybe they were part of Union Castle.

Kayser Irving was the parent company of a large group of shipping companies - Clan Line, King Line and Union Castle among others, and also managed others. I worked for one of them - South American Saint Line.

Howard

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

Kayser Irving was the parent company of a large group of shipping companies - Clan Line, King Line and Union Castle among others, and also managed others. I worked for one of them - South American Saint Line.

Howard

Thanks for that Howard, my memory had not failed  me.

At the Coal Canal have Occam's Razor, a plea for the simple life perhaps. Until recently one of Juno's neighbours was Meander, but the new owner is heading for the Thames where boat names must be unique, and didn't fancy Meander 53 so renamed her - i can't recall the new name. 

I nearly renamed Ripple, my first boat, until I realised she was named after a village in Kent, not an insipid wave.

On 31/07/2020 at 16:45, Mike Richardson said:

and I seem to remember an old Dawncraft seen at Middlewich. "Cirrhosis of the River"

Sir Osis Of The River Built by Viking 22 in 1992 - Length : 6.7 metres ( 22 feet ) - Beam : 2.3 metres ( 7 feet 7 inches )
Powered by an Outboard Petrol engine with a power of 30 HP. Registered with Environment Authority - Thames Region number F001442 as a 22 Non Hire Annual Private Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 1st April 2009 )