Jump to content

Anybody with a 40-foot Aintree beetle who can advise me.


SILVER BLAZE
 Share

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, David Moseley said:

Today I removed the Airhead Compoting Toilet, because my selling agent at Frouds Marina told me that his buyers did not like it.

 

Not only buyers, but C&RT do not like them dumping raw sewage in their bins.

 

Good move, removing it. will add £1000's to the value.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Alan,

I think you have a differing experience of composting toilets.

I have used my Airhead for four seasons, travelling from Midlands to south. 

I HAVE NEVER LEFT ANY DEPOSIT BY THE SIDE OF ANY CANAL.

Actually, once each year I put two bricks of compressed coconut fibre pus enough water to soften the bricks into a soft mulch.

All my liquid deposits are disposed each day, rather like having a quick pee in the hedge !

Solids are rotated into the mulch by an electric motor and swtch. 

I am always amazed and mystified, that the volume in the bown always remains the same !!!!

Once each year I do empty the contents into a plastic bag and then into my garden plant trough.

I LOVE MY AIRHEAD.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, David Moseley said:

Hi Alan,

I think you have a differing experience of composting toilets.

I have used my Airhead for four seasons, travelling from Midlands to south. 

I HAVE NEVER LEFT ANY DEPOSIT BY THE SIDE OF ANY CANAL.

Actually, once each year I put two bricks of compressed coconut fibre pus enough water to soften the bricks into a soft mulch.

All my liquid deposits are disposed each day, rather like having a quick pee in the hedge !

Solids are rotated into the mulch by an electric motor and swtch. 

I am always amazed and mystified, that the volume in the bown always remains the same !!!!

Once each year I do empty the contents into a plastic bag and then into my garden plant trough.

I LOVE MY AIRHEAD.

 

You are in the minority. Most people will not keep it the 2 to 3 years required for it to be prperly composted.

 

Read this (very long 41 page) thread which started as C&RT say they can no longer accept partly dried (ie fresh and sloppy) toilet waste in their bins.

 

C&RT say don't empty your compost toilet in our bins. - General Boating - Canal World

 

 

Do remember though, if you can’t keep it stored until it’s ready to use, it will still need to be disposed of in an appropriate way – for example a suitable composting site away from the canal. It should not be put in our bins – and absolutely must not be disposed of on or near the towpaths. Liquid waste can be emptied down an Elsan point, (not in the canal)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A little research shows that it is on at £58950 which looks like about £4000 more than it cost new and probably about what a new one currently costs (albeit apparently with an 18 month waiting list) so the old theory of a second hand boat being better value than new no longer holds in the current market.

 

edited to add I am talking about the boat here and not the loo, though I see that the airhead costs a staggering £1000, is it better than the other home grown versions in some way?

Edited by Phoenix_V
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are writing comments without any knowledge in this case.

I have cheque stubbs, invoices, and reciepts to qualify my pricing.

4,900  Aintree Boats

995  Airhead toilet

2742  Diesel cooker and oven

2120  Kuranda...electrical monitoring

107  fenders and locks

29  screwfix

40  clear plastc sheet.

570....for signwritten name on both sides

150  aluminium Solar mountings.

200  elec cable, hose and switches

69   Marineware...pans

There are LOTS of other small additional outlays.

 

My TOTAL OUTLAY  49000 AINTREE

                                       7500

    EXTRAS..Excluding my labour on MANY internal fixtures and fittings. (Woodwork teacher 39 yrs.)

        EXACT      TOTAL 56307.

 

I hope this justifies my asking price.

David Moseley.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 08/06/2021 at 17:27, Alan de Enfield said:

 

You are in the minority. Most people will not keep it the 2 to 3 years required for it to be prperly composted.

 

Read this (very long 41 page) thread which started as C&RT say they can no longer accept partly dried (ie fresh and sloppy) toilet waste in their bins.

 

 

He doesn't need to read it and weep, David composts it.

 

Although a 2nd hand boat, it seems David has not only gone for a high spec boat, he has added value to it. 

Whether this additional work will be to a buyers taste, David will find out. Items like signwriting to me add nothing....comes with the boat, ditto fenders, ropes, hose etc

 

Doing work on a boat doesnt automatically mean that the cost makes the value go up. A £10k paint job will not add £10k to the value of a boat. It will however show that the seller cares about the boat and other maintenance issues may also be up to date. It is also easier to sell a nice looking boat.

 

 

Edited by matty40s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Moseley said:

It does seem as though you are not an interested buyer, but only wanting to make negative comments. Obviously you have time on your hands.

Quite the opposite David, not negative, you have obviously put a lot of time and effort in.

 

However, a seller may not see the time and effort you have put in, will not be interested in how much the signwriting cost, or fenders etc, they are buying a boat.

I post from a position of working with boats of all makers and ages and also brokers, and have a good idea of what sells and doesnt sell a boat....along with a fairly wide bank of knowledge of sellers and buyers opinions....and how misguided some can be on their own boats value when everyone else is telling them what it's actually worth.

 

I havnt seen your particular boat, but...

The present market favours you, there are more buyers than boats. Aintree have a long waiting list as they don't have the capacity to increase production even though demand is there. They are a small step up from Collingwood, but no Aqualine, so a budget manufacturer with a fairly good recent reputation bar one or two bad mistakes with welders(no longer employed).

Good luck, if you havnt sold within a couple of weeks, review your marketing or price, or get a reputable broker to do it for you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, David Moseley said:

I think you are writing comments without any knowledge in this case.

I have cheque stubbs, invoices, and reciepts to qualify my pricing.

4,900  Aintree Boats

995  Airhead toilet

2742  Diesel cooker and oven

2120  Kuranda...electrical monitoring

107  fenders and locks

29  screwfix

40  clear plastc sheet.

570....for signwritten name on both sides

150  aluminium Solar mountings.

200  elec cable, hose and switches

69   Marineware...pans

There are LOTS of other small additional outlays.

 

My TOTAL OUTLAY  49000 AINTREE

                                       7500

    EXTRAS..Excluding my labour on MANY internal fixtures and fittings. (Woodwork teacher 39 yrs.)

        EXACT      TOTAL 56307.

 

I hope this justifies my asking price.

David Moseley.

David, I do not know if your asking price is realistic, good luck with your sale, I was pointing out that the advice often given that buying secondhand is very much better value than new no longer necessarily applies in the current market which is generally thought to be a "sellers market" Buying new is still not a nobrainer as the cost of extras would have to be factored in and whether one is prepared to wait (apparently 18 months in the case of Aintree)

 

If you do not want general comments and maybe help the sale perhaps do another post in the for sale section?

 

I would be interested in your experience of the airhead though.

Edited by Phoenix_V
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, David Moseley said:

Thank you for your comments and advice. Maybe you could advise on a better selling platform.

Do the marina have a monopoly on sales, if so you are limited to that one broker, apolloduck is used by many brokers to advertise, if you have a choice of broker look at those nearer to the boat, boatshed are prepared to travel but are a franchise, I have no idea how good the local one is, then there is the for sale section of this forum as I mentioned.

It may not have sold yet because the location is too far for some to travel or as someone else pointed out the price is too high but i would give it a little while and take your brokers advice before reducing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

You mention the pair of you find the locks very difficult without assistance. We have ‘done’ the K&A a few times, even berthed at Newbury for a number of years. We found that the majority of locks on the canal are difficult to operate. Have you thought of relocation onto another waterway. The Oxford has single locks and a great deal easier to work.

Just saying. Hope you get a sale, if that’s the way you end up going.

  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, David Moseley said:

Thanks again. I am looking into other selling sites.

 

As you know I am currently looking to buy and I seen your boat as soon as your broker put it on Apollo Duck. I just didn't make the connection when you advertised on this forum!

 

I think your broker is doing a good job. Their website is slick and more importantly they advertise on Apollo Duck which is where everyone looks anyway, so I wouldn't be too hasty. Give it a week or two longer, then perhaps think about reviewing the asking price. 

  • Happy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for canal lock advise, but we have travelled other canals further North, during our four active years, and our final decision remains to Campervan Travel.

I am not dissatisfied with Frouds, just exploring alternatives in order to reach a wider audience. Thank you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, David Moseley said:

Thank you for canal lock advise, but we have travelled other canals further North, during our four active years, and our final decision remains to Campervan Travel.

I am not dissatisfied with Frouds, just exploring alternatives in order to reach a wider audience. Thank you.

I think they are considered to be one of the trustworthy brokers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe, as Gas seems to be the nomal. However, I initially thought, having long experience in sailboat cruising, where gas is a very definite explosion possibility, that diesel was a safer option. In practice over four seasons canal experience, I have found the diesel option has had very definite advantages, and for me, no drawbacks at all. The central heating option alone has been fantastic, cheap and extremely comforting to have the whole interior warm, rather than going into a cold bedroom.

As in all things, opinions differ, and discussion is a great option.

  • Greenie 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.