painting engine bay??

Featured Posts

while i have no engine in my boat im repainting the engine bay ..  im painting it all red oxide, is that ok or is it best to paint on top with something else?  i just thought red oxide is easier to touch up when needed...  cheers

Resin based red Bonda prima rather than 'red' lead, its not lead anymore and is porous.

Decent oil based gloss paint on top, if it says wash brushes with water and detergent on the tin, don't use it, its junk.

TD'

36 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Resin based red Bonda prima rather than 'red' lead, its not lead anymore and is porous.

Decent oil based gloss paint on top, if it says wash brushes with water and detergent on the tin, don't use it, its junk.

TD'

Yes, yes, yes - good quality gloss paint in a light colour - so that you can see the dirt and therby clean it off. 'Twill also help whe you've dropped someting in the bilge and can't see it...

image.jpeg.b9e780bdee184bf4f8927320c1fcc5a6.jpeg

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Yes, yes, yes - good quality gloss paint in a light colour - so that you can see the dirt and therby clean it off. 'Twill also help whe you've dropped someting in the bilge and can't see it...

image.jpeg.b9e780bdee184bf4f8927320c1fcc5a6.jpeg

Someone’s nicked yer engin’

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bonda Primer is pretty good stuff. You'll need to leave it for a few days and give it a light key before painting anything on top though. It doesn't say that in the product data sheet but having spoken to Rustins that's what they recommend.

56 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

I painted my engine 'ole battleship grey -- by the simple expedient of mixing the oil-based white and black paints I happened to have. 

6 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Bonda Primer is pretty good stuff. You'll need to leave it for a few days and give it a light key before painting anything on top though. It doesn't say that in the product data sheet but having spoken to Rustins that's what they recommend.

Bonda primer dries really quickly, that's one of its big attractions, I usually overcoat it after about 2 hours, never had problems, also its very matte so the next coat should stick without any trouble. It paints on quite thinly so any abrading is likely to go right through it.

I don't think Bondaprimer is quite what it used to be but its still very good.

Have Rustins recently acquired it?

...............Dave

Most paint makers sell a dedicated bilge paint with extra resistance to standing water and oil etc. Danboline from International is the best known and it really works. Used to be available in two or three colours including a sort of red oxide, but now only available in light grey (and maybe white?). The light grey is good as it meets the "light colour" requirement advised above.

Danboline can be used direct to metal but an undercoat of BondaPrimer would be better.

................Dave

thanks everyone...  i have already painted it red oxide as i had lots of it but i think i will go with the grey bilge paint as advised....   will be so glad when its done as its not the biggest place to squeeze into....

22 minutes ago, crosser said:

thanks everyone.  i have already painted it red oxide as i had lots of it but i think i will go with the grey bilge paint as advised....   will be so glad when its done as its not the biggest place to squeeze into....

Not done the gas locker or the water tank yet then?