K&A during another virus spike

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Yet again another futile attempt to spin the situation.   It doesn't matter what she does at work or her qualifications with regard to whether her youngest kid (which is what you referred to) is scared.

With the little amount I am seeing on TV either she isn't explaining to the kid the situation or she is watching far too many news items with the kid.   the media don't seem to be commenting much as I said no reports of how many new cases or deaths. 

Her multiple qualifications have little or nothing to do with the parenting of the child in question, they are merely you trying to (as always) put down any opinion which differs from yours.

Failed again.

Its not about watching TV.

Its everything from dealing with the restrictions to not going to school or when they do the restrictions there.

There was weeks of not seeing friends, family not doing the things like going to the playground, the pictures going on holiday etc etc.

My daughter recently left her job as mental health nurse working with kids and she has commented on the changes she was seeing in the kids she was working with before she went to her new job last month.

To suggest this wont have an adverse affect on kids is breathtaking ignorance, as in lack, of knowledge and understanding.

https://youngminds.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/beyond-tomorrow/

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Its not about watching TV.

Its everything from dealing with the restrictions to not going to school or when they do the restrictions there.

There was weeks of not seeing friends, family not doing the things like going to the playground, the pictures going on holiday etc etc.

My daughter recently left her job as mental health nurse working with kids and she has commented on the changes she was seeing in the kids she was working with before she went to her new job last month.

To suggest this wont have an adverse affect on kids is breathtaking ignorance, as in lack, of knowledge and understanding.

https://youngminds.org.uk/get-involved/campaign-with-us/beyond-tomorrow/

You are reading far more into what I have said than actually said.   Quite common on this forum I find.   I was discussing purely the TV situation.  No mention of the lockdown, social deprivation etc.    MrSmelly clearly blamed TV.

So in future if you are quoting me please ensure what you say has something to do with what I am saying.

20 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You are reading far more into what I have said than actually said.   Quite common on this forum I find.   I was discussing purely the TV situation.  No mention of the lockdown, social deprivation etc.    MrSmelly clearly blamed TV.

So in future if you are quoting me please ensure what you say has something to do with what I am saying.

I read what I saw.

You were also wrong about TV and news coverage but I see you skipped over that one.

Ex teacher? Really?

Crucially you also chose not to reference this, which he also said.

Let's hope the government take heed of the growing number of people who understand that enough is enough. 

Which was a clear reference to the broader impact (on kids and others) of the lockdown overal, not just tv coverage.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

11 hours ago, Jerra said:

Its obvious that tv is only part of the picture, do you need every word clarifying on every post? Many people have had enough of the continued covid brainwashing. A few older people have been frightened into thinking its going to kill us all off. Its been here six ish months and what percentage of the population has it killed? You were the teacher so what is say 50k out of 67 million as a percentage?? Its got to stop and people need to realise its yet another thing that can kill us and mitigate without overkill measures. So far worldwide maybe one million out of how many billion?

Edited by mrsmelly

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

More classic scaremongering.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Major incident declared in Greater Manchester
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53632102

If you put local authority pen pushing beurocrats in charge this is what you get.

I'm not sure what you mean by scaremongering in this context. The decision to impose restrictions was taken by the Government. Declaring a 'major incident' was then a reaction by the relevant Local Authorities, principally if the BBC report is to be believed, in order to access resources (eg money) that are available to LA's for such situations. There will be a context in which they have this power. Given that the LAs are pretty stretched at present, I cannot see this as, on its own, a case of scaremongering - unless one only reads the headline and not the context.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

I'm not sure what you mean by scaremongering in this context. 

The use of the term 'major incident' should (IMHO) be applied to genuine critical events.

I just ask why didn't local authorities declared such 'major incidents'  at the height of the pandemic when cases were so very much higher than now? And the NHS was at serious risk of being overwhelmed?

There should be a far more sensible and rational way to release the required funds than for a LA and other agencies to have to publicly declare 'major incident', causing unnecessary concern amongst the general public,

1 hour ago, Col_T said:

@Athy - you're a mod, any chance of moving this to a political folder, where it more properly belongs?

What an observant chap you are, to be sure. Yes I'm a mod, but I'm "Athy", not "@Athy" as you rather oddly style me.

If you want to bring something to the mods' attention, the correct and most effective way is to report it. In that way, any moderator may see it - we are not all on duty 24 hours a day, you know. Luckily I have seen your comment; I generally stand down about 6 p.m. (it's now 5.30) so I might not have seen your post until tomorrow morning, especially as I have just had to leave my computer to go out looking for a Waitrose delivery driver who was unaware that house no. 95 could be found between numbers 93 and 97.

Are you asking me or telling me that this topic "more properly belongs" in a political "folder"? As it is about choice of moorings and planning of boat movements, I suggest that it properly belongs in "General Boating", which is where it is. But if you seek a second opinion, do feel free to report the thread as I mentioned above, so that other mods can consider your view.

17 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks, but how? I didn't.

Check your notification preferences.

But just to add, yes if somebody really really feels the burning urge to 'report' something posted in the wrong section of the forum they should indeed use the report button.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

7 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Check your notification preferences.

But just to add, yes if somebody really really feels the burning urge to 'report' something posted in the wrong section of the forum they should indeed use the report button.

Indeed, and this happens fairly often. In this situation, a member could report their own post and add a note explaining why.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Was this topic started with the intention of it being political?

It seemed like a genuine question about where would be a good part of the system to be moored/based in the event of another lockdown. A question I think many are wondering...But it degenerated like so many threads seem to?

Wherever the boat is, there is still the danger of infection. It can only be hoped that as testing methods are improved, such spikes in infection can be better contained.

Shopping is an area of concern where the virus can be spread, but as stated social distancing and mask wearing does help. Yet my local shops always seen to have those who do not care about distancing or wearing masks.

Yet there is another concern regarding supplies for boaters and this is the coal, fuel and gas which come from the commercial boaters still operating along the waterway. How has the last six months affected their trade, I wonder.

25 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Wherever the boat is, there is still the danger of infection. It can only be hoped that as testing methods are improved, such spikes in infection can be better contained.

Shopping is an area of concern where the virus can be spread, but as stated social distancing and mask wearing does help. Yet my local shops always seen to have those who do not care about distancing or wearing masks.

Yet there is another concern regarding supplies for boaters and this is the coal, fuel and gas which come from the commercial boaters still operating along the waterway. How has the last six months affected their trade, I wonder.

The three fuel boats I have been using this year all seemed to be doing fine, to the point they were selling out and could only serve regular customers!

57 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Things that would put me off the K&A would be the sloping edges on the canal, and iffy water supply at the higher pounds. Bedwyn was lovely 20 years ago, but it had a great bakery then, and the Cross Keys was still a pub.

Once spent the night in Great Bedwyn - the sound of beeping open doors on a nearby train at the station followed by mass revving of Diesel engines as a class 165 slowly drags itself out of the station doesn't lead to a great night's sleep. It seems one of the pubs has closed since then to make matters worse, and the trains are still there. Would happily not moor there again!

1 minute ago, phantom_iv said:

Once spent the night in Great Bedwyn - the sound of beeping open doors on a nearby train at the station followed by mass revving of Diesel engines as a class 165 slowly drags itself out of the station doesn't lead to a great night's sleep. It seems one of the pubs has closed since then to make matters worse, and the trains are still there. Would happily not moor there again!

Yes the trains were a pain. One night I was there and heard this strange loud noise that slowly got louder, then very loud, then things started hitting the boat, then the noise slowly faded. My partner and I weren’t terribly impressed as well as being quite worried at the height of it. On venturing out, we found that there was a rail mounted brush cutter and chipper/mulcher going down the line devouring the undergrowth, and spewing out the debris right onto every boat , the towpath and the canal.

• Horror 1

On 02/08/2020 at 18:34, mrsmelly said:

It's overkill. This will be looked upon as a great mistake that was blown out of all proportion in the future. Heaven help us if next time its an ebola scale virus rather than one nearer to the common cold. 

The problem is that it's irrelevant how dangerous it is to the average person - the problem is that is seems to be incredibly contagious. A small percentage of a very large number is still a large number; the number who need hospitalisation may be very small in percentage terms, but it's still a huge number of people in absolute terms. What do you think is going to happen if left to spread unchecked? What do you think is going to happen to your prognosis when you arrive in intensive care having suffered a heart attack, or a stroke, or some other grievous illness - and there's no space for you?

I could say I dont give a flying ' because I'm a very fit and active 31 year old - but that's not right, is it?

The great mistake is the government not understanding the mathematics of exponential growth and being criminally slow to act to begin with. If Boris Johnson had been listening in GCSE maths, we wouldn't be in anything like the situation we are now.

Of course it's in the news still, because it's still news. It's affecting a huge number of people's lives on a daily basis - if that isn't newsworthy, we may as well give up on journalism. Maybe tell your daughter to stop watching the news with her young children?

50 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

The problem is that it's irrelevant how dangerous it is to the average person - the problem is that is seems to be incredibly contagious. A small percentage of a very large number is still a large number; the number who need hospitalisation may be very small in percentage terms, but it's still a huge number of people in absolute terms. What do you think is going to happen if left to spread unchecked? What do you think is going to happen to your prognosis when you arrive in intensive care having suffered a heart attack, or a stroke, or some other grievous illness - and there's no space for you?

I could say I dont give a flying ' because I'm a very fit and active 31 year old - but that's not right, is it?

The great mistake is the government not understanding the mathematics of exponential growth and being criminally slow to act to begin with. If Boris Johnson had been listening in GCSE maths, we wouldn't be in anything like the situation we are now.

Of course it's in the news still, because it's still news. It's affecting a huge number of people's lives on a daily basis - if that isn't newsworthy, we may as well give up on journalism. Maybe tell your daughter to stop watching the news with her young children?

I take it you dont agree?

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I take it you dont agree?

Overall, I think it's a complicated problem that doesn't have an easy or optimal solution. I certainly agree with little that the government has done to now, and I disagree with some of the measures put in place, but I also disagree that we've overblown it. It's an unprecedented situation in living memory; there are very few people on Earth who have direct experience of living through a pandemic - and one of those who did had some sage words of advice. They weren't along the lines of 'ignore it, it'll be fine'.

My girlfriend is a biologist working in publishing a well-respected science journal, so she regularly gives me an insight which reminds me it's simply not comparable to existing illnesses and existing public health problems. There is very little known about the virus, and the human population is arguably one act of God away from being decimated; we're incredibly fortunate that coronavirus has turned out to be highly contagious but not particularly virulent. Were it to mutate into a form that is both highly contagious and highly virulent - well we'd be 'cked, wouldn't we?

I can guarantee that I have no meaningful income until 2021 thanks to the effects of our new socially-distant world, so I have a vested interest in the world returning to some variety of normal sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Overall, I think it's a complicated problem that doesn't have an easy or optimal solution. I certainly agree with little that the government has done to now, and I disagree with some of the measures put in place, but I also disagree that we've overblown it. It's an unprecedented situation in living memory; there are very few people on Earth who have direct experience of living through a pandemic - and one of those who did had some sage words of advice. They weren't along the lines of 'ignore it, it'll be fine'.

My girlfriend is a biologist working in publishing a well-respected science journal, so she regularly gives me an insight which reminds me it's simply not comparable to existing illnesses and existing public health problems. There is very little known about the virus, and the human population is arguably one act of God away from being decimated; we're incredibly fortunate that coronavirus has turned out to be highly contagious but not particularly virulent. Were it to mutate into a form that is both highly contagious and highly virulent - well we'd be 'cked, wouldn't we?

I can guarantee that I have no meaningful income until 2021 thanks to the effects of our new socially-distant world, so I have a vested interest in the world returning to some variety of normal sooner rather than later.

I am of the opinion that its going to be later rather than sooner ? The motorway was back to being jammed today but I dont see any kind of normality any time soon regarding the leisure industry which everyone used to use. Out door pursuits will grow hugely as they have at this location though. Many pubs remain closed and restaurants but those that have managed to open are rammed most of the time albeit rammed now means with huge gaps everywhere. Its your generation that will be paying it back and it will be far longer than the cowsdroppings four years I keep hearing being bandied about.  The most ridiculous thing done by the government so far with regards the economy is giving away half price food in thousands of places, it seems to me the hordes of numpties packing such places dont seem to realise they will be paying for it anyway further down the line. Nothing is for nothing.