K&A during another virus spike

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Hello all.

I used to be so up decisive but now Im not so sure.

With the threat of a further spike and potential lockdown we are considering where wed like to be.

We are presently on the Thames. Leaving the Thames on the 9th August. Having to travel to Reading for a fuel top up which has got us thinking.

Do we continue onto the K&A or head back onto the Oxford and Banbury where we spent the recent lockdown?

we have spent someyears on the K&A, more recently two years ago so know it well. But heres the question.

During the past lockdown how was the mooring situation in places like Hungerford, Bedwyn or even Newbury? Was it very busy, mediocre or even quiet, If it was quiet few will know the answer I guess.

Having said the above, any other suggestions as to where we could lockdown aboard?

My personal opinion only but I think we are unlikely to see a lockdown of the magnitude previously seen. Local ones yes, some possibly quite wide local ones - but a nationwide one implemented in the way the previous one was will just about wipe out the UK economy.

So I would just boat on as normal wherever you wish to go and hope you don't get caught in a local lockdown. like the Leicester one.

(Of course some will say we are heading for another large second wave and a nationwide lockdown is inevitable - they are of course entitled to that opinion).

44 minutes ago, dmr said:

If I was on the K&A and facing a lockdown I would be happy in either Hungerford or Bedwyn, though the shopping is a bit limited in Bedwyn.

.............Dave

Hungerford does sound like the ideal place for food shopping.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Hungerford does sound like the ideal place for food shopping.

Its not ?, its a small mostly genteel up market little town but has just a Tesco and a Co-Op whilst one might expect a Waitrose and an independent deli or two. It did have a deli but it closed, but if they treated other customers as badly as they treated me then it deserved to close. It does or did have a very good off-licence, I got a rather nice bottle of an unusual Port for Christmas a few years ago. It does have a chip shop and sometimes a burger wagon.

Bedwyn had a very good bakery but it was "property developed" into a house, as was the good pub. A smaller version of the bakery was re-incarnated in the boater-friendly post office so all is not lost. Both towns (villages) have a direct rail link to London but have managed to keep some local identity rather than becoming out and out commuter towns.

................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its not ?, its a small mostly genteel up market little town but has just a Tesco and a Co-Op whilst one might expect a Waitrose and an independent deli or two.

I have been - indeed, moored overnight - there.

It is good that there's a Tesco and a Co-op, as it makes it easy to avoid the Co-op.

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have been - indeed, moored overnight - there.

It is good that there's a Tesco and a Co-op, as it makes it easy to avoid the Co-op.

Its interesting, the Co-op is not our favourite shop, as part of the co-op system I always somehow expect them to have trendy, interesting and slightly exotic foods, but in general its the opposite. However during lockdown the co-op felt much safer than the others, its a bit more spacious and the customers were much better at social distancing, but then this is the Hebden Bridge branch.

...............Dave

Can’t speak for during the lockdown but having been down the K&A a couple of weeks ago I don’t recall anything east of Devizes being massively busy - in that finding mooring spots wasn’t a problem. However we did go through only a couple of days after a multi-month lock outage was fixed, so situation may have changed since.

4 hours ago, dmr said:

However during lockdown the co-op felt much safer than the others, its a bit more spacious and the customers were much better at social distancing, but then this is the Hebden Bridge branch.

The incomers in Hebden shuddered genteelly and avoided the boaters anyway, before any of us had heard of Covid-19.

All the "real" Hebden lot moved to Todmorden!

I think it's the Eau de Diesel or maybe they are afraid that we're the "wrong sort of alternative".

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The incomers in Hebden shuddered genteelly and avoided the boaters anyway, before any of us had heard of Covid-19.

All the "real" Hebden lot moved to Todmorden!

I think it's the Eau de Diesel or maybe they are afraid that we're the "wrong sort of alternative".

Its all interesting sociological stuff as there are several different brands of incomer at Hebden and except for the upwardly mobile city commuters all are ok.. We found many of the locals friendly though several of these were ex boaters who "passed through" and got stuck, soon moving into a house. Others had sighthounds are all sighthound owners talk to each other regardless of any social divide ?.

"Todmorden is the new Hebden" is probably going to be true, though others say Todmorden is just turning into an out of town shopping centre for Hebden, but If thats true then I am surprised that its B&M Aldi and Lidl.

I did risk a pint in the Golden Lion last week but its not quite what it used to be.

.............Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Its all interesting sociological stuff as there are several different brands of incomer at Hebden and except for the upwardly mobile city commuters all are ok.. We found many of the locals friendly though several of these were ex boaters who "passed through" and got stuck, soon moving into a house. Others had sighthounds are all sighthound owners talk to each other regardless of any social divide ?.

"Todmorden is the new Hebden" is probably going to be true, though others say Todmorden is just turning into an out of town shopping centre for Hebden, but If thats true then I am surprised that its B&M Aldi and Lidl.

I did risk a pint in the Golden Lion last week but its not quite what it used to be.

.............Dave

Moored outside the golden lion. Not much going on outside now. But will give it a miss 2 nite. Things aren't what they used to be. ?

On 30/07/2020 at 11:38, Nightwatch said:

Hello all.

I used to be so up decisive but now Im not so sure.

With the threat of a further spike and potential lockdown we are considering where wed like to be.

We are presently on the Thames. Leaving the Thames on the 9th August. Having to travel to Reading for a fuel top up which has got us thinking.

Do we continue onto the K&A or head back onto the Oxford and Banbury where we spent the recent lockdown?

we have spent someyears on the K&A, more recently two years ago so know it well. But heres the question.

During the past lockdown how was the mooring situation in places like Hungerford, Bedwyn or even Newbury? Was it very busy, mediocre or even quiet, If it was quiet few will know the answer I guess.

Having said the above, any other suggestions as to where we could lockdown aboard?

I spent most of lockdown at Crofton and Wolfhall/Burbage and (rather guilty to say) loved it. Wide towpath. Shop a comfortable walk away. Plenty of solar. But I doubt thare will be a nationwide lockdown. And if you live on your boat you will be able to move to get all the things you need wherever you end up anyway. I was wondering about the best places to be around the system, for lockdown and started a thread about it, but most of the replies were along the lines of 'at my mooring in the marina/garden' ???‍♂️

But seriously the K&A has a great community and a fuel boat etc. I'd rather be there than somewhere that was more the preserve of just holiday boats as it might have felt a bit lonely.

Edited by Dave123

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If over-50s are to be locked down as I heard suggested on the news this morning then many of us won't be going anywhere. We're now deemed a "vulnerable group".

I think it will be voluntary if they bring that in. Just put the fone down from speaking with one of my nurse daughters who is dispairing of the continuous overkill covid bulletins on TV all the time that is frightening her youngest child and her mates kids. She fully knows what can happen but believes it is now being blown out of all proportion. Let's hope the government take heed of the growing number of people who understand that enough is enough. 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

who is dispairing of the continuous overkill covid bulletins on TV all the time 

She must watch different TV to me!   I hardly hear it mentioned apart from the occasional mention of a few areas that have had to reintroduce a few restrictions.   Virtually no mention of how many new cases or number of deaths.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I think it will be voluntary if they bring that in. Just put the fone down from speaking with one of my nurse daughters who is dispairing of the continuous overkill covid bulletins on TV all the time that is frightening her youngest child and her mates kids. She fully knows what can happen but believes it is now being blown out of all proportion. Let's hope the government take heed of the growing number of people who understand that enough is enough. 

That kind of thinking is fine until the covid-19 infection and death rate shoots up again. Then we might all have to understand that whatever we're being asked or told to do is being implemented to save lives and ensure the NHS isn't overwhelmed.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

She must watch different TV to me!   I hardly hear it mentioned apart from the occasional mention of a few areas that have had to reintroduce a few restrictions.   Virtually no mention of how many new cases or number of deaths.

Each and every I mean every single time the news is on every time every day covid is mentioned. Every breakfast TV programme as in every time it is mentioned. Dream on. 

• Greenie 1

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Each and every I mean every single time the news is on every time every day covid is mentioned. Every breakfast TV programme as in every time it is mentioned. Dream on. 

The alternative of course is she/they are watching too much TV as I said they/she are seeing much more than I do.

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

That kind of thinking is fine until the covid-19 infection and death rate shoots up again. Then we might all have to understand that whatever we're being asked or told to do is being implemented to save lives and ensure the NHS isn't overwhelmed.

It's overkill. This will be looked upon as a great mistake that was blown out of all proportion in the future. Heaven help us if next time its an ebola scale virus rather than one nearer to the common cold. 

Just now, Jerra said:

The alternative of course is she/they are watching too much TV as I said they/she are seeing much more than I do.

Possibly? She does watch a fair bit between her 12 hour shifts looking after terminally ill kids. I spose an old retired schoolteacher will have more idea about it than she does with two nursing degrees. 

• Greenie 1

On 30/07/2020 at 11:38, Nightwatch said:

OK, so as well as missing this introductory point, does anyone actually remember the actual question..? :D

It's overkill. This will be looked upon as a great mistake that was blown out of all proportion in the future. Heaven help us if next time its an ebola scale virus rather than one nearer to the common cold. 

You might be right, you might be wrong. It's all about striking a balance between the risk to the physical health of the population and the risk to our economy and our mental health. I'm no supporter of this govt but fortunately the various risks are being assessed by those in the know and not a bunch of opinionated boaters.

46,000 deaths and counting blown out of all proportion? Tell that to the families affected.

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Possibly? She does watch a fair bit between her 12 hour shifts looking after terminally ill kids. I spose an old retired schoolteacher will have more idea about it than she does with two nursing degrees. 

Yet again another futile attempt to spin the situation.   It doesn't matter what she does at work or her qualifications with regard to whether her youngest kid (which is what you referred to) is scared.

With the little amount I am seeing on TV either she isn't explaining to the kid the situation or she is watching far too many news items with the kid.   the media don't seem to be commenting much as I said no reports of how many new cases or deaths. 

Her multiple qualifications have little or nothing to do with the parenting of the child in question, they are merely you trying to (as always) put down any opinion which differs from yours.

Failed again.

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

You might be right, you might be wrong. It's all about striking a balance between the risk to the physical health of the population and the risk to our economy and our mental health. I'm no supporter of this govt but fortunately the various risks are being assessed by those in the know and not a bunch of opinionated boaters.

Agreed. Here is an interesting ditty that I have no answer for and it's a weird one. 

My daughter who is a nurse in a large hospital where they all wear full ppe all the time got Covid and was quite ill and has relapsed since. My daughter who is a nurse where no staff wear ppe ever has not had it nor have any member of staff or patient. I think it's because those families are always wary of potential illness due to how ill the kids are? 

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Yet again another futile attempt to spin the situation.   It doesn't matter what she does at work or her qualifications with regard to whether her youngest kid (which is what you referred to) is scared.

With the little amount I am seeing on TV either she isn't explaining to the kid the situation or she is watching far too many news items with the kid.   the media don't seem to be commenting much as I said no reports of how many new cases or deaths. 

Her multiple qualifications have little or nothing to do with the parenting of the child in question, they are merely you trying to (as always) put down any opinion which differs from yours.

Failed again.

Think what you like. She has a child mental health degree and works with children. She tells me that it's all effecting kids adversely and I believe her rather than you. 

42 minutes ago, Jerra said:

You clearly are watching different bulletins to me.

The ITV news just finished was was wall to wall Covid bar the news about the MP accused of rape. And the sporting news of course.

The even refered to the restrictions in the North implemented on Saturday as if it was new.

Edited by The Happy Nomad