Deck board

Featured Posts

My deck boarding is getting a bit past it. Its 18mm buffalo board per original fitment by the builders. I can get a sheet of board and cut it myself, but anyone know of a timber merchant or boat builder around the nantwich/chester area who can supply and cut to size? A lot of timber merchants even if they can supply only seem to be able to do straight cuts.

10 minutes ago, Narrowjack said:

My deck boarding is getting a bit past it. Its 18mm buffalo board per original fitment by the builders. I can get a sheet of board and cut it myself, but anyone know of a timber merchant or boat builder around the nantwich/chester area who can supply and cut to size? A lot of timber merchants even if they can supply only seem to be able to do straight cuts.

Unless you've already measured all sides of your boards don't assume they're square. Mine were slightly out because the builder must have made them to fit the hole which was also slightly off square. So you might be better off using the old board as your template and cutting it yourself. 

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Unless you've already measured all sides of your boards don't assume they're square. Mine were slightly out because the builder must have made them to fit the hole which was also slightly off square. So you might be better off using the old board as your template and cutting it yourself. 

Good advice if the old ones are a good fit.

Don't forget to seal all the cut edges either and the boards will last years longer than if you don't bother.  West Systems Epoxy is the favourite.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Autocollect apostrophe catastrophe!

I have today just finished fitting new deck boards on my stern deck. The original boards (cheap exterior plywood with a decent quality laminate on top) have lasted 40 years.!!

I have used 18mm WISA board, bought and cut approx to size from my local timber merchant. All boards needed trimming to fit the shape of the stern, but the boards were easy to work with a handsaw, plane and sander. I used coal tar pitch to seal the edges.